Are thes games any good?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kirk, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

I am considering to buy the
    "Big Metal Box" games collection from the Apple Store:

"Four top games in one box: Black&White, Max Payne, F1 2000 and Oni."

Are these games any good? Would they work fine on a new eMac

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

They are a bit outdated... But are all pretty cool! You'll pay here in the Netherlands 59 Euro's for the pack, so it's pretty cheap, 15 Euro's per game. Saw the other day only B&W for 30 Euro's in the discount. So it's a bargain, if you like all the games in the pack!!

3. Versello macrumors regular

Black & White and Max Payne are really good. I dunno about the F1 game, but Oni isn't that good.

4. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

F1 is good but again its a little dated. I like the Nascar series. how much is that box? and i think its only for Europe.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I've been wanting to get Alice for a while now but I can only find it packaged in those 4 games in one bundles and none of the other games seem all that interesting to me.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Oni is interesting. The graphics are quite good but play isn't always the best even though it's very versatile. F1 2000 was supposed to be very good, but obviously, if you're concerned about it being current, it's not for you.

7. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

F1 2000 has great graphics, sound, presentation, etc but without analogue control the game is not very playable. The steering seems too sudden when a key on the keyboard or joypad is pressed. It also lacks online play so you would most likely play it by yourself, unless of course you buy a 2nd copy and have another Mac and a friend to play with.

Black & White was a game I was looking forward to but after playing it I lost interest. The tutorials go on forever and in the game I felt over-whelmed by all that could go wrong on an island full of village idiots. This was definately a game that sounded good on paper, where it should have stayed.

Max Payne is a classic PC game that ripped off everything from The Punisher to The Matrix and introduced the slow motion effect in video games. I think the game crew responsible for Duke Nukem 3D made it so that is one more reason to play it.

As for Oni, that was the last Bungie game on the Mac before they sold out and became a part of Microsoft. Oni is supposed to be another good single player game with great presentation, controls, graphics and audio. It was updated as recently as a few months ago so it should run flawlessly on any Mac with OS X 10.2

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey bungie still rocks, although they are officially owned by the enemy, just think of them as our own little sleeper cell

9. luggnutt macrumors newbie

Excellent package

You should definately buy the package if you are considering it. It has a great mix of excellent game. As noted by previous posts, it seems that everyone has something they enjoy in the package, as well as something they could do without.

I must disagree with Sol's opinion of Black and White. I think BW is one of the best made games ever (relative to its release date, but even today). While I agree that the fun factor tends to wear after a bit, it is impossible to dispute how well the game is made. Besides the completely original concept for the game, rare in todays well-trodden market, every detail is well attended. The interface in particular I find to be extremely well done. The "gesturing" to load up god effects is a unique, original, and incredibly intuitive, useful, and COOL interface feature. The smooth zoom in and out is excellent, the god-pet creature is a fantastic addition (though the fighting is a bit off), and the community center works perfectly for giving the user direction. Also, the ability to be good, evil, or something between gives exceptional replayability.

Oni, i would say, is more fitting for Sol's comment that "it looks good on paper, where it should have stayed." The ability to use guns and melee combat is pretty cool, but just doesn't play out well. Both aspects are done well, but neither is exceptional, so it becomes just a neat hybrid game. (Though, I think the weapon selection is cool.) The difficulty is also rather high, which I think is good.

Max Payne is a decent change from the ordinary FPS, but is nothing special. The storyline is tired and boring, and the time-slowing effect gets old after half an hour.

Anyway, buy the package.

10. Kirk thread starter macrumors regular

Kirk

Thanks a lot! :)

Always good to get some different views. Sounds like a good deal. I think I will buy them when I order my new eMac. Just waiting for the updates!

11. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Oni

I haven't played any of these games but Oni, but I think that one is one of the best games I ever played, I just wish it had been longer.

Seriously they need to do a sequel.

As for performance, it ran quite well on my old G4 400, and it runs great on my iMac 800 so an eMac should be pretty darn good for it.

Make sure you download the Omni groups Oni OS X port, its much better than the one that comes in box.

12. isus macrumors regular

i tried black and white (pc version) once, but... i just didn't get into that much...

always wanted to try max payne though
    and ut2003
    and hopefully halo 2 will be good.