Are these people insane?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by VanNess, Oct 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Richard Baguley writing in PC World has an "application tip" for all of those poor, podcast-starved Windows users out there: Windows Media Player Updates Your Podcasts

"Instead of using [that nasty] iTunes or downloading new podcasts to your MP3 player manually," Baguley has a better idea: "let Windows Media Player 10 do it for you."

Well, okay, I'll play along, although I notice he doesn't mention why WMP is a better choice than say, iTunes, which obviously is available for the PC platform and happens to be designed to handle all things Podcast automatically. But if Richard is suggesting WMP, it's got to be easier, right? In summary, Here are the few simple easy steps to get going with podcasts in WMP. I know, you can hardly wait. :)

1) Download and install a podcast receiver program like iPodder (Hey, I thought you just said WMP was going to do it for me?)
    2) Set the program to download new podcasts automatically. Note where the program stores its podcasts
    3) Open Windows Media Player 10 and select File, then Add to Library, then By Monitoring Folders
    4) Click Add and browse to the directory where your receiver stores its podcasts
    5) Select the folder and click OK twice
    6) Click the Library tab, right-click the Auto Playlists entry (located near the bottom of the left pane), and select New
    7) Enter "Podcasts" in the 'Auto Playlist name' box
    8) Choose "Click here to add criteria" below 'Create an auto playlist that includes the following'
    9) Select More, then File Name, then OK
    10) Go Back to the New Auto Playlist dialog box, choose click to set next to 'File name Contains'
    11) Enter the name of the directory where the podcasts are stored
    12) Click OK, Podcasts will appear in the auto playlists.
    13) Right-click and select Add to Synch List.
    14) Connect your MP3 player and click Start Synch

And that's all there is to it! :D

(Note: Nine out of ten scientists agree: you can build an atomic bomb much easier than this.)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well that's it then. Apple can stick iTunes, WMP10 for me all the way.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The mindset of many PC users is that things just have to work like this. There possibly couldn't be any other way... no pain, no gain.

4. VanNess thread starter macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.