Are these symptoms of a dying harddrive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Jun 8, 2005.

1. macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    • frequent and intermittent clicking
    • excessive beach balls
    • constant freezing
    • very sluggish performance
  2. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    You're fine for RAM at the moment? What's the machine, how old is the hard drive and how much RAM do you have? Is it a program specific? Is the hard drive clicking?

I hope your HD's fine because upgrading RAM is much cheaper. :)
  3. macrumors member

Apr 9, 2005
    Innsbruck, Austria

In the past 2 years, I've lost 2 drives... both started with that Clicking noise! If I were you... save your data!
  4. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Doesn't sound that good mate. I have just gone through the HD dilemma myself. Disk utility did not report the fault when I ran a repair permissions sweep.

I was having the exact same probs as you were describing so if you can - I'd backup all your important stuff immediately.

I decided to download SMARTReporter. It informed me of the fault. Unfortunately it was too late to do anything as I was having the symptoms for about 2 days and the drive was cactus. :(

Good luck!

edit - SMARTReporter is installed on all my Mac's. I have configured it to check the drives every 300 mins so I will at least get some warning ;)
  5. macrumors 65816

Mar 1, 2005
    if you have a fairly newer machine and have over 512 RAM.

then yea it might be a good idea to back up right now

it might not have much time left. :rolleyes:
  6. macrumors 68040

Loud clicking is always a bad sign, backup your data now and run a SMART tester, if it fails chuck the drive and get a new one. Nothing is worse then operating on a dying drive.
  7. thread starter macrumors 68000

Nov 19, 2003
    its a 1ghz ibook with 384mb ram and 30gb hd. i know ram is on the low side but we never run intensive task on this computer, just safari and word. what other signs should i look out for which correlates to a dying harddrive?