Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darky90

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
Wooow over 1k emails. It doesn't bother you? I agree with kerrikins. Even if it's 1, I would have to check it to make it go away. As for the new face lift... yeah.. I'm kinda meh about it but like everything, I'll get use to it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Except Safari and Settings. Those are bad. The rest are fine. Also not a huge fan of reminders.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I think they've heard and listened. Check the home page and you'll see the design is "likely to change" throughout the betas. (As if that was the plan all along... :rolleyes:)

Did some leg work for you, only because I love you.

First of all, many of the new icons were primarily designed by members of Apple’s marketing and communications department, not the app design teams. From what we’ve heard, SVP of Design Jony Ive (also now Apple’s head of Human Interaction) brought the print and web marketing design team in to set the look and color palette of the stock app icons. They then handed those off to the app design teams who did their own work on the ‘interiors’, with those palettes as a guide.

The site goes on to note that the design is a "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds.

brunnernathan

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Switzerland
I think that it is not surprising to see that Apple make more simpler and flatter icons. John Ive had already said in an interview that the new operating system would be more simpler.
But not only Apple has a taste for simplicity. If we take a look at the evolution of internet logos (http://www.technologeek.net/the-evolution-of-internet-related-logos/), we can clearly see that the trend is flat.
Anyway, I agree with you, these new icons rocks ;)

Osullivan1

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2011
London
But then I used a dark wallpaper, and the world didn't end!

Looks pretty good to me.

I've grown to like the new icons, and though I still like most of the old ones, I don't miss them like I did when I first installed 7.

And I agree, the whole OS looks a lot more professional with a dark or just plain black wallpaper. As they said during the keynote, the whole OS is affected by your wallpaper.

PLUS: I actually like the dock, way more than the old one...

rvancil

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008
You guys are some picky mofo's! After a couple hours I'm totally fine with the new icons...they're just icons for gods sakes

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think he's suggesting that it's supposed to look more like a Venn diagram than inflated balls.

I'm suggesting he looks at the new Gameencter interface to see why the icon looks that way. The app is not about specific games, its about interacting with games and other gamers. I never thought about it being a Venn diagram, but you're correct that it sort of is.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
We used to work out, wear tank tops and drive cool cars when I was younger.

I guess, today, it's all about how cool your smartphone's home screen looks that causes pheromones to squirt all over the junior high school walls. *shrugs*

Ottoman1

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
dead horse

For me the icons are as much a part of the design of the phone as the exterior. Car makers make their dashboards attractive, even though they do not need to. I believe Apple should do this with the iPhone as well.

I look at the icons as part of the dashboard.

I hope Apple finds a new signature look for their icons and that 3rd party developers follow their design cues.

When I look at the icons I see this, (available at 123rf.com stock images):

18969151-vector-touchscreen-phone-with-rainbow-wallpaper-and-app-icons.jpg

Yes they are working icons, but there is a lack of creativity and intelligence which usually comes through when looking at products and graphics created by Apple.

I know we are just going in circles with these icon threads but I see this as an "Apple family" discussion that needs to be hashed out.

I strongly believe Apple can do better and hope they do.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.