are u an apple loyalist?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sayraay1200, Jan 16, 2007.

1. sayraay1200 macrumors newbie

Jan 16, 2007
    Hi there i am doing a dissertation on brand loyalty - the case of apple. If you regard yourself as loyal to apple would you please be kind enough to answer a few questions for me?

1. Why are you so loyal to apple? What is it that they provide you with that their competitors dont?
    2. Do you think brand loyalty can be maintained? If so please let me know what Apple could do to preserve your loyalty?

Thankyou very much
  2. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    I was brought up using apples as a kid, and I have just never had the urge to "anti-switch", now when i look at a windows user, and see the pain the suffer from their beige box, I am glad i stayed with macs.....Apple just offers a more solid OS, and are much more reliable.
    If apple just keeps doing what they do, and dont start messing around with the OS too much than I will stay. Even if a new competitor came into the market, which a superior OS, I would stay.
    Hope this can help you with your research.
  3. kerpow macrumors 6502

Jan 16, 2004
    I'd say I'm fairly loyal to Apple, but no where near as much as many people on this forum.

I think I am loyal to Apple because their products are built from the ground up with ease of use in mind. Their products also seem to be innovatative, stylish.

If I can afford an Apple product I would buy it over any other brand. My brand loyalty will begin to waver if they continue to price me out of the market. Case in point, I want/need a new computer. I could afford to buy one of their competitors products right now but not one of Apples. I may get to the stage where my need for a new computer out weighs the want of buying an Apple computer.
  4. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    1. Because I just think Apple has a superior operating system, and much more easily accessible. I am an Apple loyalist, to an extent.
    2. To keep making good products that And work well.
  5. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    1. I buy Apple products and not PC alternatives because everything is in one place for a good price. I paid £700 for my iMac and it contained a camera, a C2D CPU, enough GPU to run the games I care about and could boot up into XP.
    Bootcamp has really pushed me further into Apples bosom. I can't picture myself buying outside of them again.
    I buy their MP3 players because there really isn't much better. Theres a certain aura of quality around the products (all of them). Even the £55 iPod Shuffle feels complete and robust.

2. So long as they keep up the level of quality I'll be happy and continue buying. Quality is the most important factor for me, followed by innovation/features then price.
  6. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I don't consider myself loyal to Apple. I like their products, especially OSX, and have a large investment in software that runs on those products, but I'm quite aware that Apple are far from perfect. If other companies made official OSX computers I would have no problem buying the alternatives.
    As long as Apple continue to develop the right ideas they will continue to sell their products, and as long as those computers/devices continue to meet my needs, I will continue to use them.
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm not an Apple loyalist. Their products happen to suit my buying requirements for the moment. In general, when I make any tech purchase, I figure out what I want, do some research into what's on the market and will it work with what I currently have/will buy in the near future and then work out the potential compromises on wants/needs/price/style. Case in point, if I really needed a handheld device to watch video on at a reasonable size (with less emphasis on the music), then I'd be seriously looking at the Archos AV700 rather than a video iPod.

If Vista (or its successor) is as secure and troublefree as OS X and offers better features, then I might jump ship. If Apple continue innovating and making things easy to use, then I'll stay Apple. If they were equivalent, then I'd likely stay with Apple simply on the grounds that I already have other investments in the system.
  8. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    From when I've need to use a computer (when I started Uni in 1995) I've used Apple computers. So when I could afford my own computer, naturally I chose an Apple.
    Over that last 12 years I've seen the Mac OS evolve to OS X and become more stable and user friendly. In the same time I've seen Windows, seemingly, go in the opposite direction.
    In my opinion Apple hardware has always been engineered better than the PC clones. Back in 1997 my PC owning friends couldn't believe how quiet my PowerMac 7500 was compared to their rattley boxes. Since then the Johnathon Ive designed products have just blown away the beige boxes.
    I think a lot of artistically inclined people are attracted to Apple because of the aesthetics of the products.

Thinking now I wonder how the Mac clones would have fared if they'd still been around when OS X was launched.

What do Apple need to do to keep me loyal?

Keep producing the well designed and executed products they make today.
  9. eluk macrumors 6502a

Dec 14, 2006
    East London, UK
    1. Could not really be described as a loyalist. While they successfully marry form and function I'm happy.

2. As long as I feel the above remains true they will continue to get my custom.
  10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Feb 14, 2004
    Why am I an Apple loyalist?

I'd been using Windows when I got introduced to the Mac OS in the mid-1990s. Though initially put off by the differences, I eventually came to see how simple it was to use. Though both systems had their problems, the Mac OS's weren't nearly as arcane, and I didn't need an IT guy to fix them.

Since Steve Jobs has been back, they've continued to lead the pack in terms of style, value and ease of use. What kind of amazes me about Apple is that they keep coming out with products -- or ways of doing things -- that are truly impressive in their simplicity.

I've watched my Windows-using coworkers working with clunky interfaces, obscure bugs and poor imitations of both the Mac hardware and software, and I'm so glad I switched.

Or to quote a Carly Simon song, "Nobody does it better."
  11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    1. Why are you so loyal to apple? What is it that they provide you with that their competitors dont?

I am loyal to Apple because there has not yet been a product that has enticed my interest and passion like an Apple Computer. Coming from using a PC for over 10 years, its incredible on how ignorant I really was to the Apple platform. I was lucky enough that my school used Mac's. What first grabbed my attention was iMovie and from there my interest just took off. The stuff you can do so easily and seemlessly and INCLUDED with the cost of the computer is just incredible and the quality of computer is generally excellent as well. iLife pretty much sucked me into becoming an Apple Fan Boy. So much so that now I own a Mac, work for a school district supporting OSX, funded my own trip to Macworld, visited Apple HQ and bought a bunch of Apple Gear, and just to be able to do so much for my parents. I use iLife for our memories and present them in a way that sometimes makes my mom cry, especially the video that I did for a friend of my mom's who passed away. Also, its brought a little bit of my creative side. I have almost no creativity, however put iLife infront of me and its like I am a movie director. So much so I briefly considered Media as a potentialy major to pursue. A product that has improved the quality of my life is what keeps me attracted to a company, in this case Apple. My dream is to one day to actually work for them in a meaningful capacity and be apart of the "Apple Vision" and hope that I can touch other peoples lives in the way Apple has touched mine. Plus, just the excitement that brews around Apple is amazing to be apart of. I know of nothing else that can really make me excited as a potential Apple announcement.

In addition OSX > M$

2. Do you think brand loyalty can be maintained? If so please let me know what Apple could do to preserve your loyalty?

As long as Apple maintains and continues to improve on its computer offerings, this will maintain my loyalty. I think its great that Apple is branching out and being able to connect with people in different markets, however I just hope Apple does not lose focus on its roots and continues to be amazing in the computer market.

I hope I don't sound overboard and I hope this helps. I am generally low key about my Apple sentiments. It was a great feeling being at Macworld with other Mac fans. The people I met inline at 4:30 am were really cool.
  12. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Apr 6, 2005
    As he said.
  13. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    1. The computer waits on me, instead of me always waiting on it. That's one of the big things. If I have something I need to get done, I can get it done without having to be at its mercy and without hoping that my computer isn't being eaten by a virus without me knowing what's going on. And stuff is easy.

2. As long as they keep doing what they do, I'll be happy. :D
  14. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I like Apple because the OS has always been geared toward the user. Windows never made sense to me (nor did DOS); I like coding and messing around with development, but why should that include having to deal with a learning curve in the OS? MacOS has been ideal with that since 7 (skipping 8.1-8.5, horrible fumble on their part); access to everything at your fingertips, and the freedom to be as techie or as basic as you want to.
  15. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I love the fact that the OS is intuitive. Of course, after 13+ years of using Mac OS, it ought to be. :) When I bought my wife a Vaio laptop w/XPP, it was difficult to get it onto our wireless network, and even worse to get it to print wirelessly. Some of that is due to my limited experience on Windows, but some of it speaks to the fact that Mac OS is easier to learn and to work with. I have frequent issues with her laptop not seeing the printer or dropping the network, but never with either of our Macs.
    So, Apple provides me with a simple to use operating system, plus they have the most beautiful hardware on the planet, IMHO.

Yes, brand loyalty can be maintained. All Apple has to do to keep mine is continue pushing the technology to be better than the available alternatives and keep making solid, gorgeous hardware that is both fun and simple to use. I'll gladly pay a moderate premium in price for that combination.