are u rough on your computer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 6, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

do you treat your machine well or do you work the heck out of it, never clean it, type hard on it, drink near it...etc

for me, i never drink near my laptop and i type lightly...but i don't clean my screen enough

everything else i own i treat with respect

...cept for my guitar, i play that hard and carry it around with my tools when i do my landscaping job:p

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

I don't usually clean the Cube, but when it comes time for my precious LCD display to have all its fingermarks removed it's done.

I also get very fustrated with keyboards and mice, as I make so many denm errors, plus I type slowly. :rolleyes:

I used to have a can of soda beside my computer before the summer, but I kept spilling the s[E].

I need to find a new alternative to cans. I think I need to get one of those geek caps with straws that draw liquid potato chips to my gums. :D :p :rolleyes: J/K duh

3. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i respect my iBook, but i am pretty damned hard on it. i am an always on the go student, and this laptop goes in and out of the case at all times. i drink near it, eat near it, study near it, etc. its got a few scratches, a couple dings, but it still looks great.

4. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i'm too lazy to clean my puter...but then again its a peecee...it doesnt require any special care :p lol

5. Solipsys macrumors member

I play favorites ;)

My two Beige G3s get pummeled with crumbs, spills, occasional cigarette burns, and dust. They're my workhorses and I really don't care what they look like as long as they work.

On the other hand, I treat my Powerbook like a priceless artifact. I wipe it down with a special cloth and don't eat, drink, or smoke within 5 feet of it. I think it's mostly because of the screen. I've kept it in perfect condition and use a piece of felt to protect the screen from keyboard marks when the lid is closed.

My PC, which I only use for 3D work and web design compatibility, deserves to get a kick in the arse once in awhile, let alone a small scratch or stain. It's a frankenstein contraption of spare parts and if it dies on me I certainly won't shed a tear.

6. wilburpan macrumors regular

I pretty much abuse my computer.

Then again, it's a 4 year old Win98 system, which will be replaced with a Mac at Christmasas time, so I don't care all that much. ;)

7. iGav macrumors G3

I totally baby my TiBook........ :) it's coming up to 18 months old, and could still pass as brand spanking new...... even the keyboard still looks spanking..... it gets polished and wiped lot's!!

The way that I look at it, is that when I'm using it in public, I want people to be envious...... and if it's in top condition as opposed to being dented to f@*k when I come to trade it in...... I'll get top dollar for as well...... ;) :D :)

8. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

basically i abused my 5 yr old beige g3, i abused it to ****, but it still works, just setitng it up as our home server.

Now on monday my brand spanker arrives (see sig.) anyone got any suggestions as to how to keep this baby clean, It will be in my room at uni so i'm afraid i will not avoid drinking smoking puking :D all over it, anyone got any good suggestions, specially on how to clean the LCD?

cheers in advance

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

There already was a drinking while posting thread, if you want to contribute to that. :D

My mother gave me some tips on how to clean the LCD, and I expanded it to computer terms:

(1) Because the LCD sends images directly to the surface of the screen, any liquids that seep in too deep can short out the display, especially when there are images on-screen. I suggest unplugging the monitor from all sources.

(2) Grab a bottle of Windex and some Bounty paper towels (two sheets, probably) and spray the paper towel so that the towel is *damp*, not *wet*.

(3) Clean the surface of the LCD carefully, w/o putting pressure on the surface or getting too much liquid on the surface.

(4) Use the dry side/towel to dry off the screen completely.

(5) Plug in the monitor and away you go. :cool:

10. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

I type (very) HARD! (especially the enter key!)
    I want to clean my G4, but can any1 tell me how? I have a digidesign 001 card in it and it has 1 cm of dust on it :)
    spray it off with compressed air? (used for airbrush).
    Or just put a vacuum cleaner in there... any ideas?

11. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

I wipe down my laptop about once a week with a slightly damp cloth. I do, however, have a question. the keys on my keyboard are gettin "shiny" do to oily fingers or whatever and a water dampened cloth doesn't get rid of it? what do you guys recommend I use that won't "hurt" my baby? Thanks

Anh

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I baby the crap out of my TiBook...my Rev. A that I sold to a buddy of mine looked nearly new after a year & a half of use... :D

now my work computer...hmm...it's a work comuputer....gotta keep it running well...but like a work truck...it's dirty on the outside for sure...he he he ;)

13. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i just bought a 25 pack or something of the iKlear packets when i bought my 512MB chip for the iBook. It was relatively cheap...i still have most of them, and I clean the screen whenever the keyboard marks and spots begin to be visible when the screen is off.

14. job macrumors 68040

job

well...

i'm not so sure this counts, but i usually want to beat the s*** out of the dells we have at school.

otherwise, my macs at home are in pretty decent shape.

15. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Compressed is the best!!;) Try to avoid using a vacuum because it can cause static electrcity!!;) ;)

16. PyroTurtle macrumors regular

my Ti and i beat the crud out of each other! it's hilarious really....

when i start being too rough, it gets pissy and stops working well...then i apologize and calm down...the poor 400 Mhz proc is gonna have a heart attack one of these days i swear...

17. iwantanewmac macrumors 6502

Thank you :)
    just wanted to be sure!

18. xelterran macrumors 6502

about half of our PC's at college have a "do not touch - repairs in progress" sign on em - some of them have melted cheese in the cd-rom drives and other bits and peices stuck in them (weird huh?), anyway i keep my home g4 933 pretty clean though it does get dusty on top, hmmm what else, oh yeah ive got through 2 M$ inteli mice so far... i think im gunan stick with the apple one for now :)

19. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

my computer's got some dunks and scratches....but its a 6500.....so its kinda ok...goin on 6 years with this baby. Ditry keyboard...some of the case is melted (roomate dropped a light on it and he didnt realize till he smelled melting plastic :rolleyes: ).

I'm drinking coffee here as I type...i eat by it to. Basically I do anything cause I just need it to last until my dual 1.25 gets here. Once I transfer my files over this goes home and I'll have a new shiny baby to take care of...I'll still drink coffee by it though.

That thing is gonna get HEAVY usage. Its coming for the purposes of school and freelance work. All graphics, video, and 3D animation. I'll be keeping her in good condition, though the mirrored optical drives are gonna be a pain...

20. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn...what kind of light exactly did your roomie attack your 6500 with?! :eek:

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I baby my Ti. Did the same with my iBooks. Clean them daily. Have keyboard covers, etc. I totally take care of them. D0ct0rteeth can attest to that.

22. neut macrumors 68000

neut

TourMac

i take my dual 450 G4 and clear CRT with me to gigs we play all around. i've played many outdoor shows... and it gets very dirty.

compressed air, soft cloths, and lots of love to keep it clean!

23. Choppaface macrumors 65816

my lombard get's the crap beaten out of it every day. squished inbetween heavy book, thrown around....... lots of scuffing on the screen from the keyboard, and some of the rubber on the top is even starting to come off from being scrached soo much. back door broke twice, but still on there....and still running fine :D

24. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

It was one of those lamps that C-clamps onto the desk..... minues the c-clamp. Well, it fell on my baby and he didnt realize till it started smeelling funny....then he figured out what was going on and moved it....I got home later and he told me "um, I kinda burned a hole into the side of your computer...but its ok..."

I almost **** my pants :eek:

25. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

My iBook fell off a desk 3 feet onto a hard tile floor. It survived, but was cosmetically damaged. When the screen started to black out without reason a few weeks ago, I sent it in to Apple. Repairs are costing $690, but insurance is paying for it, so it's not bad. Machine is coming back next Monday (hopefully). Anyway, this shows that I am not that careful with my equipment.

However, I have made a vow to change. I have decided to carry my iBook in it's protective sleeve (the one that came with it in it's box) and be more careful in general.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to a good carrying case for the iBook that won't scratch the plastic? I have had a problem with the gritty texture of my case scratching the iBook. Thanks.