Are we getting higher capacity iPods next round?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by princealfie, Aug 21, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I am finding that my 5G 60GB iPod hasn't enough room for my CD collection. Does anyone know whether the 6G iPods will have bigger than 60 GB? :cool:

2. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yes, it'll be 86.5GB and will only come in green and orange.

Seriously, no one knows, or it would be posted in the headlines. Chances are good, though, with perpendicular HD technology and all that.

This news story is relevant.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Available next Tuesday. (Hey that's tomorrow!) ;)

B

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Doesn't the capacity go up with every release?

Plus there were 1.8" drives announced in higher capacities recently.

Plus if there's an Apple video store, they might be encouraging you to buy something with extra space...hmm

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I would be surprised if the capacities didn't increase during the next update. I expect to see them go up across the line.

6. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

No, they don't. There's been a 60GB iPod since the photo (although it was a lot thicker...)

7. ipodcentral112 macrumors regular

With the new perpendicualer technology and the newly announced seagate 120Gb 1.8 HD im thinking their will be a 120GB ipod but just a guess.

8. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

I cannot wait for the next round:D

...but my wallet can.

9. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

Doesn't toshiba make an 80 or 100 GB mp3 player?
    If so, i would expect the next ipod to have a capacity around that...

10. Greenjeens macrumors regular

I'm waiting for a 60GB (or even a 20GB) Nano version. AFAIK, there is no limit to how many flash memory chips can be stacked together to make a solid state iPod.
    If the mini HDs, used in the larger ipods, are anything like full size desk or Laptop drives, then that spinning mini HD is likely the weak link in hardware. It's going to wear out or break, like anything that keeps spinning. Especially in portable devices, spinning HDs are subject to shock damage.
    So far, the price of a Hard Drive storage cost vs space, is less than the cost of an equal number of Flash Memory chips, used in the solid state Shuffles and Nanos.

If anyone would pay a huge premium, for an all flash chip based storage iPod, Apple would be selling them. Hopefully, memory prices will continue to decline. I supect larger Shuffle!

If Apple made flash chip based ipods, for which the drive mechanism never broke and buyers might not get insurance, would that effect their business boom?

Or are there still plenty of other components to fail, and new feature upgrades to market, to prevent keep large capacity, Flash ipods from lasting forever and flooding the market?

Will cheaper hard drives, that can write more densley, and thus be smaller, like the new perpendicular write drives, keep a HD, THE storage device of choice for the immediate future, for larger capacity iPods?

-
    Dave