Are We Intelligent?

Discussion in 'Community' started by StarbucksSam, Apr 27, 2005.

1. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I have been noticing recently that compared to many of the other forums that I go to, MacRumors-goers seem far more intelligent.

The spelling, grammar, and punctutation is great for the most part, and when it's not it's usually just a typo.

You don't see people typing "lyk" instead of "like" and butchering the english language.

People are nice to each other and they get along most of the time.

Wow.

Are we just like a more intelligent breed of people because we use Macs?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it also has a lot to do with the level of moderation on this board. A lot of the idiots are banned.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I think I read an article that someone ran grammar grade level evaluators (similar to the algorithm in Microsoft Word) that bases grade on syllables per word, words per sentence and sentences per paragraph. Anyway, they found that the grade level of threads on Mac based forums regularly higher than that of threads on Windows based forum. Of course, I may be wrong and making all this up, I search around and see if I can find it.

4. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Oh my God that is hilarious. I think that's an interesting thing to see - us versus the Windows Fanboys. Good lord.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I read something about Mac users being more intelligent too and who am I to disagree.

Since I'm taking psychology as an elective at uni I should know better than to label things intelligent though - far too many factors to include before we can say anything substantial.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

this thread may give me an opportunity to ask a question i've been wondering.

i pretty much type in only small case, including i's and other things that need them. does this bug anybody? if it does i can change. i suppose its partly cause i'm lazy, and i do it when i im people for speed typing. also instead of periods often times i'll use (ellipses)....for pauses inbetween thoughts... is that annoying?

7. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Not much. It's the lack of periods and stuff that kills me. But I would definitely not mind if you raised your case to start sentences and what not...

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Age might also play a part... as far as I remember from the "How old are you"-thread, the average age here at the forums are over 30... and many of us "old folks" try to keep spelling and grammatical errors at a minimum to further understanding... (even us who don't speak English natively...)

And the youngsters coming onto the forums are either conforming or flamed until they do (or leave)... :D

9. StarbucksSam thread starter macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

For the record, I'm only 15. LOL.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

It's not too much of an issue, even though I tend to be seriously anal about my spelling and grammar (I run live spellcheck in Safari). It does make posts a little more difficult to read, mainly with certain combinations like "i im people" - I started to try and determine if it was a typo, if "im" was "i'm" and then figured out it was "IM."

But I'm just a little slow that way :p

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Why even discuss this? Of course we're smarter. :)

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am slightly under the bar, at 26, but I agree for the most part, people on Macrumors appear to have a bit better typing skills as a whole.

Granted I spend a majority of my time on Automotive forums in my free time online, that could be the root cause of my higher respect for Macintosh forum members. Most of the people on the automotive forums are late teen early 20's and get a thrill out of online fights as much as illegal street races.

Needless to say, my interest in forums like that have been quickly killed off.

13. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Or too many periods, that bugs me just as much as a period deficiency. :p ;)

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm slower :rolleyes: I skimmed the paragraph, reread the 'i im people', blinked and moved on. Thanks for figuring it out.

15. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Are we Intelligent? I've had too much psychology to get into that. However, I believe that Roger Ebert, when questioned with why Macs only had 5% marketshare, stated that he felt that was pretty close to the percentage of rational people in society, so perhaps we are simply more rational.
    Or pehaps we are all just elitists who feel undervalued in our daily lives.

16. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I have to say that I believe the average mac user is more intelligent than a pc user. Here’s why, an uneducated person would not have a lot of money therefore they would own a cheap pc. Macs are a lot more expensive so one would have to be educated to either understand that a mac is of better value, or be educated enough to earn the money for mac.

17. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Also, we have the ability to use the "check spelling as you type" option in our web browser. A lot of obtrusive, red dotted lines would appear under our words if we wrote like middle school AOL'ers

We mac users would prefer to visualize soft, blue, smoothness. I really think spelling and grammar connects to aesthetics in many ways, and mac users generally care much more about aesthetics in the first place.

18. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

Wouldn't any message board group think that way about themselves?

19. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Personally, I'd like to lower the overall "score" by stating:

20. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Don't mock my pauses... they're there for a reason. :p :D

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

I'm sure that most of my posts here aren't the most legible, simply because I don't punctuate like I should. It is not out of laziness either. I do it mainly because being an English major makes me hate grammar more than the regular person, and the courses that I have taken have showed me how stupid a lot of grammar is and that its really subjective. Maybe I'm just a liberal, or maybe I should just clean up my act. I doubt that I will keep capitalizing my 'i's though, as even when I write out things in hand I dont do that ever, its one of my quirks I guess...

22. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'd like to declare myself dumb as a stump! :p ;) :D

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

1960s voice: Gawd-damn hippy. Getah haircut! :)

24. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Now, now... be careful about what you say about Windows fanboys. Although I'm not a fanboy, I used to work for Microsoft for quite a long time, and I have better spelling and writing skills than most of the people here (and I'm not afraid to say so).

Of course, it may just be that I'm the exception that proves the rule. :)

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha, that made me smile, i do need a haircut, thats kinda creepy really. Honestly though i don't always put the effort forth as i should, i promise to be better, most of the time at least (i'm a creative writer what else do you expect?)