Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnbro23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
The fact that we live and die by what Apple will come out with next is a little unsettling to me. I get much more pleasure out of my MBP, ACD, iPod, etc. than Steve could have ever anticipated. Don't we glorify Apple a little too much? They are just a company with earnings as top priority. I don't think we all realize how little else even occupies Apple's priority list.

On the other hand, Apple has enhanced my life. Their products have made me more productive. The list of such "enhancements" goes far beyond productivity, of which I give Apple credit. Possibly too much so.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
We could be obsessed with something WORSE than Apple. Something more destructive, maybe?

While ya, it is just a company, mob mentality rules. Ever been to an Apple Store opening? a bunch of nerds get together and it just builds and builds until it reaches a nice fevered pitch. It's fun!

I think it's the little touches and the aesthetic Apple has. Clean lines, (usually) perfectly functioning OS, the care put into PACKAGING! It's an experience. :)

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I think the collective "WE" is assuming far too much. Who knows what the demographics are of 'why' we come to this site? I suspect they are greatly varied. I find my participation to be very healthy and not crazy at all. Most of the websites I participate in are very similar.

This site has a narrow focus - Apple Computer. The fact people have enough interest to return here frequently is hardly a reason to assume 'unhealthy...crazy'. As Perry Mason used to say, "Objection, assuming facts not in evidence".

Felldownthewell

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2006
Portland
I come here for the community and advice as much as I come for the apple-related-ness. I consider myself a fan, not a fanboy (there is a difference! I think.), but MR, for me, is about community, getting help, and helping others. The fact that everything is based on a computer company could be considered creepy, or it could be considered so...modern. I'll go with the later.

ok, so maybe I'll go with the former, but I'll put it in white so only the REALLY SMART PEOPLE will know. :D (yes, I know, the smiley gives it away, but sarcasm on the internet ofter needs the help of misused gramatical devices.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I find Apple products interesting but I'm hardly obsessed. If I had an obsession, it would more likely be trying to figure out why many Apple users are obsessed. ;)

I see a lot of people here who want something but never seem to be satisfied with what Apple creates, unless of course, someone is attacking it and then, it's perfect. That seems entirely unhealthy. It would be different if it was just the very young but I don't see it having an age limit.

There are worse obsessions, though.

Father Jack

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2007
Ireland
Yes of course we are obsessed by Apple and a little crazy.

Much rather that than being obsessed by Windows .... now that would be feck**g crazy :confused: :confused:

FJ

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How can we not be a little crazy, we have been monitoring Mad Jews post count the past few days.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
We could be obsessed with something WORSE than Apple. Something more destructive, maybe?

Like M$?;) I don't think that it is any more unhealthy to overanalyze the pictures that Apple puts on their website than it is to take a Literature class and overanalyze books.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.