Are we unique?

Discussion in 'Community' started by mymemory, Aug 6, 2003.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Some times during the day in my "inner inspections" I' dealing with this question: How unique we really are?

Since my traveling around the world (well US-Venezuela) and dealing with another cultures from other countries as an exchange student more than 10 years ago I realize that each individual is just a conjunction of behaviors. That is a mix of our culture as a country, a family culture and the environment (friends, physical location, etc.)

Here in my country, in my city, in my neighborhood I was feeling different from others but as soon I moved to a different country I realize that I have everything related with the "Latino lover" or a lot of that bunch of stereotypes. The same with my family and the media that I'm involved.

One of the reasons I being very aware of this is because I'm part of an intelligence group that is trying to take our actual president off the power. Now, to make the story short, one of the things we have to do to succeed is to understand our culture very well because this man has very good knowledge of our weaknesses as Venezuelan, his success is based on our mistakes. Since then I have been looking at everything and I can describe and treat each Venezuelan and even manipulate them (a sort of). I can see each person as a conjunction of qualities whose origins I know very well (because I'm Venezuelan too) and I can deal with people from another point of view. This is what I call "to be unplugged from The Matrix" and is something that I'm doing.

Personally I have been thinking about how original I'm really because:
    - As a VJ: there are other VJs doing about the same thing I'm doing.
    - As a Venezuelan: I talk like everybody around here, I do the same things, etc.
    - As a immigrant: I'm the average immigrant and I have to deal with the same procedures as everybody else.

I mean, every road I take have been drove before, I'm just a collection of exchange student + musician + VJ + Venezuelan.

So, what I'm actually doing in this world is exchanging my experiences that have been done over and over in years before. I'm just part of a cycle just like Neo in The Matrix, and this is something I was thinking about before the movie.

I'm afraid we are 1% originality as the movie says, I was thinking 3% actually.

At list I'm 1% unique than everybody else, imagine a 5%!!! they may be in a madhouse.

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Everyone has their differences, everyone takes a different road.

Your time will come soon, and the choice will be yours to take.

Even if the path has been driven before, it was never with your determination, or skill or attitude, this is what will set you different from others.

(I'm feeling deep right now, give me a break)

3. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

4. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

No, you are not unique... and niether is everyone else. Everyone thinks they are unique, which makes them fell better about themselves, but in reality they are all the same.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Everyone is a culmination of there own experiences. Anyone that lives near you will most likely have very similar experiences growing up or have related those experiences to others who have to others. This is a balancing effect of sorts that causes micro-cultures and in affect on a worldly scale you and I are just the same as a thousand or more other people. Within our own culture though we are vastly different from even our own family. It all has to do with your perspective. To us standing up all ants on an ant hill look alike. Kneel down and you will start to distinguish the differences between individual size. Get closer yet and you will see even more differences like behavior and maybe if they are missing a leg. Get a magnifying glass and you will see that everyone of them is completely different. Now take that a whole step further and imagine you were an ant or in this case a person within the city. You are an individual among millions but from high above in a plane we all look alike. The secret to identifying your weaknesses and strengths as a culture or as an individual is in your ability to mentally take the place of an outsider. The level of detail you need is all dependent on the perspective the outsider you are imagining to be. An outsider from the next block over will see you as an individual or a family group, whereas someone from the next city over sees you as part of a separate city. Just take it however far you need to to get the proper perspective. I recommend using them all at some point to get a well rounded view of your position.

I feel lucky in that I have had a very rounded upbringing with lots of traveling though within this country but have made lots of friends and acquaintances with people from all over the world. Also I have lived in a many different situations from poor to rich and everything together has given me what I feel is the ability to take an outsiders perspective. The secret is to recognize that people are easily wrapped up in microcosms. If someone spends too much time doing one thing they will soon forget what it's like outside of that life (This is the problem with life politicians. They forget what it's like to not be a politician.). So the true secret is to not forget the other life.

6. mymemory thread starter macrumors 68020

mymemory

You are a unique combination of pre-existing things.

You speak english like a lot of people, you go to school like a lot of people, you are studing a pre-existing subject, you have a Mac like a lot of people, you read the same news, talk about the same experience, you were born the same year as a lot of poeple, your shoes, your shirt are not unique, your name is not unique.

That is what I mean, we are a combination of pre existing things, we just re-discover life againg and again. Is like music, the same structure with tiny variations. In music there is something called "the circle of fith", each 5 transitions you end up in the same place whe you started.

I remember a time when I was in high school in Arkansas, I went out of clas and walking on campus I saw another friend of mine with black shorts like me, white t-shirt, black had, the same GAP shirt over, the only difference was that I had black shoes and he had white ones but even the belt was black too.

There is another guy around here that is always a year ahead of me, I'm always hearing from him but he had been doing (or I have) for the last 10 years. He was the pionner of electronic music here, he had a Ensoniq sampler, he made an electronic band 6 month before me and now he is a VJ, he left to spain and I'm living to NY. I spoke to him each 4 years or so but the media is small and I have my eye on him. I'm not imitated him, he is just in front of me.

If we are that predictable we may be easy to manipulate for global complots and stuff like that as is happening in my country.

By the end of this year I'll be in NY with others VJ, of course I will work based on my experience here that may give me some adventages but you see, it is a combination of caracteristics.

may be that is why people use some drugs, to brake the circle, but even that, you may experience similar things as other people do:confused:

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

8. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the definition of unique is what the person defines it as

some cultures have a homogenous population and at first look, may seem all the same more than a mixed culture

i do have a friend i have known since 6th grade, which is almost 30 years, and we have a lot of similarities

strong mothers

grew up in same town

liked plastic models of military aircraft and the history around them

became kiss fans

both have been playing guitar since high school

both became political during reagan and were conservative, yet democrats

both gained weight and/or had weight issues

both are computer techies

and both consider macs as best and like amd on pc side, but not intel

his brother worked for NSA contractor so he knew a lot about that stuff and i worked for DoD and CIA contractors so we have common knowledge on foreign policy issues and that keeps either of us from being too far left

both like beer

both love sports and don't follow the intricacies of the big D and this makes us bad forecasters of the sport

...and many other things too long to list

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think I'm pretty unique - but only in some ways.

All in all i'm pretty ordinary - but there are definitely things that set me out from the common croud (see the 'most rediculous news' thread ;) - its **** like that that makes me wierd).

But I don't think there are many unique individuals and I don't think I'm one of them. I am pretty damned ordinary with some unique traits.

scem0

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nobody is unique.

There is no such thing as doing something "off the beaten path". People who stray off the beaten path and think they're doing something unique are simply stepping off the main path and onto the path that people frustrated at the banalities of life eventually wander onto. The "Lets Go Europe/Lonely Planet" crowd who think they're doing something great by travelling and soaking up culture and history; people who wear the intellectual's hat, or the vegan's hat in order to belong to something they think is beyond another's understanding; the anti-government protesters who hold pickets and throw rocks in order to bring attention to a "cause"; or the anti-corporate types who don't wear clothing covered with corporate logo's because they don't want the simple commodity that they purchased (ie: their shirt, their shoes, their cola) to be injected with artificial meaning by a company that doesn't care. These people are ALL wandering on the same "alternate" path, but its not as fresh and unique as they think it is. Its not off the beaten path.......they have simply switched paths and joined the crowd of frustrated people who can't accept the "get an education---> 9-to-5" life on the main path. Both paths are occupied by a large number of people, although wandering the alternate path makes people think that they are distinguishing themselves, and they are for the most part, but not enough to make them unique whatsoever.

Optimus Prime was unique. Optimus Prime was a great man, and yet more than a man.

11. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

you want off the beaten path?

try california's first time governor's recall election

the dems vs. the gop vs. arnold vs. everybody else (all 300+ of them);)

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm not unique .... I'm Special.

I'm the only person from my high school to have any sort of long-term goals. I'm half Canadian/half American and a little First Nations thrown in for spice. I have above average intellegence, but few street smarts. I know almost everything about almost anything. I'm into computers, TV, Radio, and Roads. I'm from Hawaii and no-one believes it. I speak American, Canadian, English, and a little Spanish... not Mexican. I love being around people, and talking, but about ideas, not feelings. I prefer cool nights and warm days. I have many goals, and know some won't be obtained. I dislike some Republicans, but dispise most Democrats (Polititions that is). My Spelling is good on tests, but horrid in actual use.
    I am my own Political Party.
    My own person.
    I am TEG.... and I am a(n) .... HUMAN

TEG

13. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

that's great

i only know computers though...nothing about Tv or radio...but i know everything there is know about computers...but many do though

i only speak american, but one day i hope to learn english and canadian...and as for polititians, i have stayed away from the policitcal threads lately

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, TEG is "special", but your past is quite similar to a friend of mine (if you switched "American" to "British", and changed your interests to sports related ones). You also sound a bit like me. So that's 2 people who share similarities. That's what makes us all similar. I don't quite understand people's thirst to be unique. By being human and living the life you want to live, that makes you happy, although not necessarily unique. Is that so bad?

You're not a unique human being, but you definitely have an interesting background, moreso than mine. :eek:

15. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

16. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

True... Thats my point. We all share some similarities, but also differences. And usually its the differences that bind, not the similarities.

TEG

17. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Conservatives would prefer us to be unique...while liberals would prefer we all be the same....sorry couldnt pass up the opportunity to throw in a blanket politica statement

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Oh yeh? Then why are liberals seen as artsy types, eh?

That would be the problem with stupid blanket political statements. They're stupid.

19. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

You're confusing yuppies with artsy.;) :p

20. Jeromino macrumors newbie

Ditto.

(1/2 ;) )

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Do you really want to go there? Shall I make a Ditto-head/Rush Limbaugh comment? Or are you like Bill Maher (and me), and would be a Republican if only they would?

BTW, generalizations are always wrong. Think about that one for a sec.

22. job macrumors 68040

job

But there is only one you. There is only one who talks, eats, dresses, etc. exactly like you. It's you. People may share traits, qualities, mannerisms, and/or behavioral patterns, but only one individual combines everything into one person. You.

Oh, and thumb/fingerprints make us very much unique thank you very much. And our eyes.

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

don't you just love oxy-morons?

nobody is unique, yet nobody is the same. i believe that no matter what you do, you are like somebody else because you are human. no matter what you do, you are unique. no body has the same exact everything as you.

this thread is giving me a headache:p

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040