Are you a coffee drinker?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rdowns, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Can't start my day without 2 cups. My girlfriend's mother bought me a french press for christmas. I had heard they make awesome coffee but never got around to getting one. I finally tried it out a few minutes ago. Makes the best coffee I have ever had at home.
  2. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Bloody hell, yeah! Who isn't, eh?

Here's to the Crazy Ones [​IMG]
  3. Kernow macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2005
    Definitely, but trying to cut down.

The machine at work seems to pump out an ultra-strength super-caffeinated brew which has started to give me the jitters by the end of the day.
  4. Lau Guest

I didn't get to sleep till 5am last night and had to be up and ready at 9 for a guy to fix the washing machine. (Needless to say, he hasn't arrived yet....:mad: )

Consequently, I just drank a whole cafetière (which I think is a french press) of coffee. I feel a bit wired....:D

To answer the original question, I find the cafetière/french press to be a fine way of making a nice pot of coffee if you want a few cups. My little stovetop espresso maker makes a great espresso, but it's a hassle to make a few of them. When it comes to sitting on MR one morning waiting for the nonexistent repair man, a nice big pot next to you is a Good Thing™.

I'm going to knit a cafetière cosy though. Amusing designs on a postcard....
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Coffee, yes.

That brewed/percolated dirt-water the Americans call coffee? No.

Espresso all the way, strong, with creamily foamed milk. Want a black one? Small cup, two shots, dash of boiling water. If you do it right, no sugar.

Cream? YUCK!! Cream does not belong in coffee, it spoils it by interfering with the coffee oils that give the drink flavour.
  6. dcv macrumors G3

May 24, 2005
    Yeah I have to have a cup to wake me up in the morning, since I'm not a 'morning person'. I love pure unadulterated black coffee. I have one of those espresso & filter machines all-in-one; it doesn't make the *best* espressos but they're okay and the filter stuff's not bad... will eventually replace it with a better espresso machine, but while this one still works there's not much point.

Don't normally drink coffee in the afternoon but I think I'll have to make an exception today as someone gave me a rather lovely slice of cake to try ;)
  7. Lau Guest

Stop talking about the cake! <drool> ;)

Oh, yeah, quite right, it has to be black. Espresso or long for different occasions, but it has to be black.
  8. riciad macrumors 6502

Oct 10, 2005
    But I have too have it with a fag as well. So all attempts to give up smoking have been futile as I'd have to give up coffee as well and I just don't have that kind of will-power.
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One triple shot latte each morning... and that's it.

Occasionally, I'll have an espresso after lunch or a cafetiere of coffee over a lazy morning. I tend not to drink coffee after mid afternoon, cake or not, unless I'm planning a late enough night not to be kept awake
  10. cwedl macrumors 65816

Jun 5, 2003
  11. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

Oct 26, 2003
    Cardiff, Wales
    I drink way too much coffee. Never instant. Always double strength.
  12. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK

French press? Is that a cafetiere?

I love coffee... mmm, espresso :)
  13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    I will have coffee 3-4 times in a given year.
  14. pivo6 macrumors 68000

Dec 2, 2002
    I just woke up and I need to make a pot right now. A cup or two for me and my wife. Unfortunately, the only coffee I have in the house is some crap in a can™.
  15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I promised I'd cut down this past month because of my bad heart but I haven't. I drink far too much of the stuff and it really doesn't help my insomnia. :eek:
  16. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    I drink quite a lot of the stuff, although I like it very weak and milky (with a couple of sweeteners) so the concoction I end up with doesn't taste exactly how coffee is supposed to taste like.
  17. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If I'm working its a pot or two a day.

There are times though when I skip it.
  18. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I love coffee, and there is no better way to start a day, but ithe caffeine realy puts me in a funk after drinking it for a couple of days, and it makes me really wired and anxious when I do drink it.

So yeah.

I love it, but rarely do I drink it anymore. :(
  19. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Nov 28, 2005
    London, UK
    Used to be - now I pretty much only drink tea. Made by myself of course - I don't think I have ever bought a decent cup of tea anywhere ever.
  20. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
  21. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Nope! not me. Don't like the taste at all. i mean you may love it to bits but I find it tastes like sawdust... and yea it's an acquired taste but I don't want to spend weeks drinking what i think is sawdust until I start liking it.

Dont have tea either. heh. I love hot chocolate though. and Lo Han Kuo. My mind is a nuclear reactor enough without caffeine :)
  22. Diavilo1 macrumors member

Apr 12, 2005
    Both sides of my extended families are pretty much walking coffe mugs but I can't seem to get into it. Nasty tasting stuff. I heard that eating an apple in the morning will wake you up better then a cup of coffee so maybe I'll give that a try. Other hot drinks are ok but still not a big fan. Give me a glass of ice tea any day!
  23. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    me. makes me puke. everywhere.
  24. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    I'll usually have a cup or two. But I always have more if I'm out, i'll usually order a cappuccino or latte. I really LOVE iced coffee though, or frappe style. mmmmmm
  25. EGT macrumors 68000

Sep 4, 2003
    Look at you all, shaking and fidgeting. Just can't keep away from the caffeine, can you? :p

Coffee ... uhhh. I'd drink my own p*ss before I'd drink coffee.