Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
emw said:
Oddly enough, I'm just the opposite. When my wife got pregnant with our first, we both got off caffeine. That was almost 6 years ago, and since then I've had almost none. Although I do drink decaf coffee on occasion.

I have been good on caffeine since HS (aside from a few all-nighters in college). I was nearly completely caffeine free since getting done with college in '99 (the few instances when that was broken involved lots of alcohol and late nights). I made it through my wife's pregnancy fine.

Once the baby hit I needed an extra boost. Of course I am up late at night because I am working on my master's degree for one more year. Once that's done I'll probably cut back quite a bit. But I'm actually starting to like coffee. I did everything I could to not like it, but I'm starting to actually enjoy coffee rather than drink it for the boost....

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
Yep...I can go without it, but if available, I do like coffee in the morning. I'm sort of a coffee snob though. I won't drink the crap in the staff lounge. It either has to be something decent bought somewhere, or something from home.

L

Lau

bousozoku said:
I love coffee but as a dessert. I don't drink it as a habit and I rarely drink hot coffee but it's kinda nice just to grind some beans just to enjoy the smell. :)

How do you have it as a dessert, just out of interest?

I've tried something (that may or may not be called semi-freddo) where you pour an espresso shot over vanilla ice cream, and either eat it then for a hot/cold experience, or wait a couple of minutes and have it all slushy and melted and creamy coffee-like. It was nice, in spite of my black coffee convictions. :)

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Lau said:

I've tried something (that may or may not be called semi-freddo) where you pour an espresso shot over vanilla ice cream, and either eat it then for a hot/cold experience, or wait a couple of minutes and have it all slushy and melted and creamy coffee-like. It was nice, in spite of my black coffee convictions. :)

Afogatto, not semi-freddo.

Semi-freddo is sort of like a cross between ice cream and nougat.

The best afogatto consists of top quality ice cream with a well pushed into the centre, fill the well with your favourite liqueur and then pour one or two ristretto espresso shots over the top and wolf it all down.

crdean1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2005
Texas
I love coffee, and drink it daily, sometimes hourly. It is hard to find excellent coffee though, or tea for that matter.

I love arabic (or turkish) coffee as well.

I like illy coffe, and mariage freres tea.

I think I'll go make some now!!

Good story: my wife's boss went to help after the Tsunami, and while he was there, he came upon a guy that was a coffee grower, working in his tent grinding coffee, who's crop had not been damaged, and he brought me back some coffee from sumatra that this guy grinded and laced with a teeny bit of Thai sugar (I usually don't like cream or sugar). It was the most amazing coffee I have ever had. I can still taste it.

BTW, I am a little giddy because I just had a quad venti fat free mocha from Starbucks.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Lau said:

I tend to drink coffee with milk or cream and corn syrup for sweetness. Also, Japanese UCC coffee seems to be less bitter so the whole concoction is much smoother and it's especially good cold, much like you can get from vending machines in Japan. As far as bottled stuff goes, Starbucks Frappacino or Folger's Jakada is a quick, easy substitute.

Of course, iced Thai coffee is both potent and delicious but it's expensive.

Any of this is worthy of dessert status and deserves to be enjoyed slowly. :)

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Too me, nothing beats a perfect espresso. Unfortunatly I haven´t been able to make that at home. Or maybe that´s a good thing, keeps the caffein intake down:rolleyes:

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
When I have a job in town early in the morning I ususally make myself a big, strong cup to bring on the bus (now in winter, in the summer I never take the bus, but often pour down a smaller cup before getting on the bike or start walking).

The funny thing is that I didn't start drinking coffee until after I stopped smoking, so I've never really got into the coffee and cigarette many cannot live without. But I did use to drink 3 l (just under a gallon) of Coca-cola every day, so I got all the sugar and caffeine I needed that way. Had to give up Coke when I stopped smoking though after gaining 15 kg (>30 punds) :eek: Coffee seemd like the obvious replacement... ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
heres what could be a good question... to those who say you can't live without it... is that true? are you really addicted to coffee? if you're tired have you just tried sleeping more or eating more sugary foods?

I mean I'm just curious is all. the only people i know who drink coffee have weird body clocks. like my dad. he sleeps about 5 hours per day with a very stressful job and a new business in the pipeline. my mate Paul who works nights, has anywhere between 0-7 hours sleep a day. and of course the guys n gals at university who go out everynight and have about 4 hours sleep.

Applespider

macrumors G4
Chundles said:
The best afogatto consists of top quality ice cream with a well pushed into the centre, fill the well with your favourite liqueur and then pour one or two ristretto espresso shots over the top and wolf it all down.

Ah....I'm salivating just thinking of it... Haven't had one in ages. I think it was last time I was in Barcelona.

Barcelona was also the home of my other best dessert in the world - espresso mocha terrine served in a tiny espresso cup and so rich that we all picked up the cups and licked em out... :p

dops7107

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
Perth, Oztrailya
Generally no coffee for me except very occasionally after dessert at a proper meal or something. Certainly not as a get-me-up or even keep-me-up. I do love the smell of roasted beans, however... :rolleyes:

EDIT: Having said that, I once had a double espresso to keep me awake while motorway driving. Boy, as a non-user with little tolerance, I was wired. :p Reminds me of the time I tried some Nicorette gum for kicks (I don't smoke either) :D

L

Lau

Chundles said:
Afogatto, not semi-freddo.

Semi-freddo is sort of like a cross between ice cream and nougat.

Ice cream?
Liqueur?
Espresso?

Altogether? Mmmmm. :)

Thanks for the afogatto correction. I shall mentally bookmark that for future reference on restaurant menus. :D

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
raggedjimmi said:
heres what could be a good question... to those who say you can't live without it... is that true? are you really addicted to coffee? if you're tired have you just tried sleeping more or eating more sugary foods?
Sure I can, I only drink coffee early in the morning (which is whenever I get up :p) and then I "need" coffee to help me wake up properly (which makes me a bit less grumpy in the morning), later in the day (or when I can sleep in) I have no need for coffee (and I rarely get those coffee headaches that you can get from caffeine abstinence on caffeine free days like weekends). So I can quit at any time... :D

Sugar is not an option, though. I thought it became clear in my post above why I had to lay off (all that) sugar... :eek:

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I developed quite a taste for "flat whites" while in Sydney, but over here it's home-brewed Hot Java Lava, good 'n' strong, several times a day.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Lau said:
Ice cream?
Liqueur?
Espresso?

Altogether? Mmmmm. :)

Make mine with Amaretto please

<drool>
drool.gif

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
The french press does make good coffee...good, very strong. It's sometimes difficult to 'press' it without getting grounds in the coffee, but if you do it right it tastes great.

Chundles said:
Coffee, yes.

That brewed/percolated dirt-water the Americans call coffee? No.

Espresso all the way, strong, with creamily foamed milk. Want a black one? Small cup, two shots, dash of boiling water. If you do it right, no sugar.

Cream? YUCK!! Cream does not belong in coffee, it spoils it by interfering with the coffee oils that give the drink flavour.

That's great if you have time for that kind of thing. I'd hardly say the coffee I brew at home tastes like "dirt," but then again I have a pretty decent machine and like to use quality beans.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
skunk said:
I developed quite a taste for "flat whites" while in Sydney, but over here it's home-brewed Hot Java Lava, good 'n' strong, several times a day.

Is that the Hot Lava Java you can buy in bags over here? Can't remember the maker if it's the one I'm thinking of.

Can anyone recommend any pre-ground coffee that works well in a filter coffee machine? I was using one from Marks and Spencers that was absolutely gorgeous (really smooth and almost chocolatey) but they stopped selling it so now I'm looking for a replacement. Their Christmas coffee was okay but that's obviously stopped now too.

I'm sorted for espresso as I grind my own but I like to have pre-bagged stuff for the filter machine that's easily accessible on a day to day basis.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
*runs to the liquor store*
I love my coffee. I am currently out of work so I'll drink 1-2 8-cup pots a day, work myself into a tizzy and go spastic cleaning the house. I've built up a huge tolerance to caffeine. I burn off so much energy throughout the day that I could drink a pot before bedtime and sleep like a log. I know people who pass out from coffee. Caffeine seems to have the opposite effect on them. Sometimes I'll spice up my coffee with spiced rum. Mmmm...

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
I get an espresso drink from Peet's. In high school I had way too high of a caffeine intake and since then, I usually get half-caf or decaf. But even with decaf there still is caffeine... that and my diet Cokes. :eek:

And yes, it is true.

I get awful caffeine-withrawal headaches if I don't get X amount of caffeine. It doesn't keep me up; as in, my cup of coffee and soda or two doesn't keep me awake so I don't drink to 'stay up.' I drink coffee because it's scrumdiddlyumptious, smells amazing, and well, I can't tolerate those damned headaches. ;)

ColoJohnBoy

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2003
Denver, Colorado
I freaking RUN a coffee shop. My daily coffee intake usually consists of:

5:30 AM - Two 20 oz. mugs of the day's strongest (caffeine-wise) brew

7:30 AM - 24 oz. iced mocha, 4 shots of espresso, nonfat milk

11:00 AM - Double-shot of espresso

2:00 PM - Before I clock out, I make another 24 oz. iced mocha as above

And sometimes in the evenings I'll stop back by work or Starbucks and get a small dry cappucino.

Hurray for caffeine!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.