Are you a company man (or woman)?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Oct 26, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

In this competitive work and job markets, some people consider workaholic is the virtue. I was reading an article on USA Today recently about the CEO of Lis Claiborne. He said he is proud he doesn't work after 6 p.m. and he does not want to excel at his work at the expense of his family.
    Ideally, that would be what the most of the non-self employed workers would hope for. But, hard reality sets in.
    PS. I would like to do the poll (but, I don't know how to set up the poll): choices are: company guy/girl, captain of my own ship (in a rough sea), good balance but leaning toward my work; good balance but leaning toward my own personal life and family, and hell-with-the-work-and-I-will-work-as-I-see-fit.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Why is it you assume that a "company" person is one who spends their life "on the job"? Often, companies actively dissuade such over-devotion amongst employees because it leads to burnout and reduced effectiveness.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I guess you are on patrol tonight. I believe most of the companies only give lip service for work/life balance. Each company (at least the profitable private sectors) is looking for efficiency and productivity from every worker. I noticed many professionals in their fields are off-balance toward either way.

4. Baron58 macrumors 6502

Mister Guder, say Mister Guder,
    May I have a moment with you,
    For there is something I've got to say
    and please don't let it scare you away.

I have seen you go through a day,
    You're ev'ry-thing a robot lives for,
    walk in at nine and roll out the door at five.

You reflect the company image,
    you maintain their rules to live by,
    Shine your shoes, let's keep a neat haircut
    now that you're wearing a coat and tie.

someday soon you may realize
    you've blown your life just playing a game
    where no one wins but ev'ry one stays the same....

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Yes, but they're coming to accept the growing realization that more hours at work do not translate directly into greater productivity but often lead to more adverse situations (burnout, divorce, illness, etc.). Therefore, the selfish thing to do is to try to help ensure that employees lead a more balanced life.

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I made a couple of attempts at being a company guy. But politics wins over hard work every time. It wasn't where I was supposed to be anyway.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I don't wanna work on Maggie's farm no more.

Actually, I never have - at least since I was 18 - and I don't think I could.

8. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

Maybe that's the case for you lucky Americans. Here in India it is purely lip service. I try not to work long hours, but sometimes (and more often than I would like) I don't have a choice. :mad:

9. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I'm the consummate company man:

* I haven't been 'on time' for over 15 months.

* I refuse to work overtime or to take work home (that's my time.)

* I'll be quitting early next year (to go traveling) and my employers and work colleagues will be finding two weeks before I go, when I hand in my notice.

Anyway, this idea of working yourself into an early grave for a company is being 'productive' is a fallacy. Flexible working hours, a feeling of being in control of your own (work) destiny and a relaxed work environment are key to happy, and therefore productive, staff.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I certainly have a relaxed working environment. :)

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I routinely put in 50 hour weeks at my last job, a lot of the time because I didn't have a choice. It wore me down to a nub. And after 6 years it definitely showed up in my attitude, because I finally just didn't give a sh*t anymore. That experience taught me two things:

1) people who push you that hard don't know what they're doing
    2) The company man thing...it's not worth it.