Are you a food snob?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Feb 19, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    I was rifling through my get-well gift basket when I found a wheel of gouda cheese. I happen to love cheese... besides the gouda, our fridge has a wheel of brie, a block of gorgonzola, and a little container of crumbled goat's feta.

The thought of great food got me wondering. I mean, i'm not a fussy eater at all, but I really love when thought and time is put into making food great. We have an extensive garden in the summer (from which we're still eating dried spices and canned vegetables), and my parents sometimes get free wine from their friend, who enjoys vinting but makes too little wine to sell.

Are there any people here who really put a lot of time and effort into fantastic food? What are some of your favortie 'fancy' dishes?
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup. But I'm more a food snob in terms of the raw ingredients than in terms of the end product. I'd rather pay a little more for good quality than buy food purely on price.

I'm not sure I have any fancy specialities - I make most Italian dishes very well thanks to my maternal heritage - but I'd rather have good, plain ingredients with lots of flavour than overly fussy foods.
  3. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Food doesn't have to be fancy for me to like it, but I am kind of snobby because it has to be quality.

The biggest thing that I am a snob about is restaurants. I can't stand the thought of Applebees or TGI Fridays etc. The food is so bad and the places are always packed. Why? I will never, ever understand. Maybe standards are slow in the US that the crap they serve is considered good.

I'm a big fan of artisinal cheeses, fresh pressed olive oil, crusty bread, fresh pasta and homemade cookies.
  4. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    Yep, I admit it - I'm a food snob and I'm proud. Food is by far the biggest item on my budget (if I had one :rolleyes: ). While I often feel too broke to go to town and party or buy new pants, I almost always feel I can afford to pay juuust that little more for something a lot better. And I take at least as much care in cooking as in choosing. Otherwise it (almost) doesn't make sense.

I love cooking. There's really something almost magical about it when you've got all the ingredients in the pot, it slowly gets boiling and taste and smell evolves, mmmm...magic... I'm driving my girlfriend nuts looking over her shoulder when I've occasionally allowed her to use MY stove :eek:

5. crazycat macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2005
    I dont think i am a food snob at all. I like good food, i like food that has been made with care. There is this little chinese place in London that i always go to wherever i am in town. The only reason i go to it is that they made teh best chinese food ever. I like to get a slice of pizza from this pizzahut which they sell directly on the road. I also dont mind having a burger, i dont like fancy food i like food that tasts nice.
  6. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Yup I'm one of those 'good quality raw materials' guy. I've been shopping with mates who are strapped for cash and it isn't pretty. I say like "oh get these" only to not get them. I haven't bought any but the best chicken nuggets since that Jamie Oliver thing on TV.

I dunno. I've had organic, fresh, expensive drilled into my head for the past few years by health folk so they're swaying my desicion. Which is good I suppose. better food = better health = better living.

I will NEVER eat at a fast food place ever again. They're all bad. I suppose thats a little snobbish, or wise.
  7. Lau Guest

:eek: That's a joke, right?
  8. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Every food snob who has said 'yes' to the original poster is probably shuddering to hear those examples being called 'good food' :p

I like a burger too - but as a food snob ;), it'll be a home-made one from lean steak mince with a few herbs and sundried tomatoes through it, served on a ciabatta roll with a pimento pepper. I like pizza too - but I wouldn't class Pizza Hut as selling pizza - and I wouldn't buy it from any 'direct on the street' place except perhaps in Italy ;)

But that's more a question of health and safety and food standards (as to how long the pizzas been sitting there at the appropriate temperature) than real food snobbery :eek:
  9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i don't know if i'm a food snob....

but i am a picky eater.
    and when i make my own food i buy the best ingredients that i can get.
  10. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    My mom cooks the best Persian food ever.
    Kabob with fried onions and tomatoes and Kalam Polo are my favorites :)

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    k now I am jealous.
  12. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    I'm a sucker for really good BBQ food. Like quality spicy/meaty sausages, good steaks, marinated chicken, all kinds of fish. I'll cook almost anything on a BBQ. We have the perfect weather almost all year round for BBQ'ing here in Australia. I guess I should consider myself lucky.

I just got to work (8am) and I'm now thinking about a BBQ for dinner when I get home, mmmm.

Try a really simple fish on the BBQ. scale and clean, filet, throw on some alfoil with a few slices of tomatoe, a bit of ground pepper, a dab of butter, and herbs of your liking, seal it up, throw it straight onto the grill, cook ea side only for a few mins (depending on fish size)... mmmm mouth is watering. Wish i had breakfast this morning. Hungry now!

When not cooking I like Thai food. There's a fantastic Thai resturant not too far away they make some killer stuff. Especially like their entree's.

Live with my wife, and find myself cooking most of the time. Mainly simple meals that dont take too long, as when we get home from work it can sometimes be a hassle to cook up a meal. Often do home made pizza's, pasta's, stir fry's, etc. The best thing my wife cooks is a roast Chicken, MMM.

must stop writing about food now. :D
  13. cycocelica macrumors 68000

Apr 28, 2005
    Redmond, WA
    Well if I go to some place such as a fast food restaurant or TGIF I don't really expect it to be that good. But if I go to a high end place, the food has to be as good as it was the last time. The meat/fish has to be cooked exactly right. I love food in general and am always eating. But I will take time and money to enjoy something that someone put time and effort into.
  14. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    From time to time I can be.

When I go out for food, I'm not too much of a snob really lol...I'll eat anything from Mcdonalds to White Castle (mmm...)

And as the poster above said - it depends on the place. I won't complain if McDonald's forgets to not add pickels to my double cheeseburger, but if I'm spending $50+ per plate at some place, there better be nothing wrong w/ it, and it should be exactly as ordered. Period.

I'm usually snobier when it comes to making food, because I really do think the brand of spices and other ingredients can make a HUGE difference.

My girlfriend sometimes gets mad at me for buying really expensive spices - and I usually buy a lot of spices, because I like cooking indian dishes.

I think I'm getting better though...the more I learn about cooking, the more I'm learning *which* incredients need to be the best, and which ones are OK to bargain-shop for.

(as for drinks, then yes...I'm a flat out snob, as much as I hate to admit it. If it's beer, chances are I won't drink it if I can see through it, and I often don't return to places that don't serve Guinness. I'm not much of a wine drinker, I don't know much about wine, so that doesn't bother me. But all that bud/miller/etc...forget about it!)
  15. CompUser Guest

I'm a picky eater, but not really a food snob. I don't really like fast food restaurants very much, although Applebee's clam chowder has a really good consistency, it just needs more "flare" to it.

My mom and dad are "food snobs". They criticize a lot of restaurants and refuse to eat there. My parents have traveled around the world a lot, so I guess they know what is good food and what is not.
  16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I wouldn't call myself a food snob, but I expect whatever it is to be prepared properly, even if it's fast food.

Of course, fresh ingredients make a difference but fancy food is rarely any better to me than properly prepared common food. However, I draw the line with my adoptive famiy's "junk" mainly because I don't like the taste. So, maybe I am a food snob after all. :D
  17. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    My mom puts a lot of time in her cooking; as a result, it takes fantastic! :) :D
  18. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    it's alright for some people.. hahaha ;)
  19. nomad01 macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    Hmmm... not sure how to respond to this.

I am a food snob in as much as I do enjoy good food and adventurous food. I avoid most chain restaurants and pub food where I know it's just been taken from a freezer and thrown in a deep fat fryer or a microwave. It's usually unpleasant.

I spend a lot of money on good food for home and a small fortune on eating out. If I'm away from home I have to find out where the hottest restaurant is and try it. Good Zagat ratings sometimes mean absolutely nothing unfortunately though.

However, I also love a burger, or KFC or a pizza every now and then and I get really p*ssed off when some of my friends sit there like they have a bad smell up their nose just because they're in a fast food place.

I really believe that some people just have to be difficult to prove that they only eat the best. Good, tasty food can be found at all prices. Likewise, poor food can also be found at all price ranges.
  20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Oh ... my ... god ... :eek: (drooling)

Bring me an extra burger?

Of course I'm a food snob.
  21. cslewis thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    When we were in Prague a few years ago, we went to this excellent Czech restaurant on Chodovská Street. The meal I had was one of the best ethnic dishes ever... :D

If you're looking for good ethnic food, going to an authentic restaurant is a good idea.