Are you a good friend?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Dec 22, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

As the subject says.... I admit I am terrible with this as I am too focused on my job and work-related issued to pay attention to anything else. I think 10 times before I go out at night with my college-era friends because I have an early day at my work (I wake up at 4 a.m. to get started). Based on my current job performance, I am doing 2 to 3 sales persons' results at my current company. So, naturally, something has to give, as I have only 24 hours a day.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

...And it's not MacRumors? ;)

I've been in the same boat this last few weeks, but thankfully work will quieten down a lot next year so I can get back to serious drinking. I admit I' one of those guys who ditches his friends a bit, each time he gets a new girlfriend though. Only for a couple of weeks, mind.

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I've been told I'm a good friend before.

I had a friend with citizenship probs and I contacted every congressman, senator, etc that I could asking for help. Her mom told me that she was thankful she had friends like me.

If a friend is in a bind, I'll get them out. I'll pick them up, lend them money, etc.

and they'd do the same for me :)

(I also let them have unlimited free cookies @ my bakery. Shhh.... )

4. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

:D I hope it does not quieten down too much. Seems like you are packed with some actions with (drinks, chicks, and others.....).

5. Kane.Elson macrumors regular

I don't have any friends... probably says something ...

6. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I cannot miss MR for anything else. Also, I like anonimity on the web.........

I was looking for more positive note on this thread. I know we are at the top of Mac Geekdom (as far as I am concerned; an individual mileage may vary); but, as the year passes by, I started thinking what is my priorities are.

7. vniow macrumors G4

You asked "Are you a good friend?". That's more of a yes or no kind of question with some wiggle room. You asked an honest question, I gave a honest answer. I doubt I'm a good friend.

8. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

My best friend said my best quality about me that he tells people is that I am am *******, but a truthful *******.

Which is why I am his best man in his wedding next year

9. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Sorry, if I have offended you. i agree with your feedback.

I like to hear true feeling on this topic from the fellow MR members.

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'm an EXCELLENT friend to people who are my friends... I'll do whatever I can to help them if they need it. But I do expect them to at least try to live up to certain standards... for example, no drinking and driving, no using drugs, etc.

11. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am lost there. Can you spell out ********? I hope it is within MR forum rules.

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think the word is "bastard".

13. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I am very intrigued with your post. What is your definition of good friends?

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Basically, I am good friends with like-minded people who have roughly the same morals, ideals, and goals as I do. Now, some of my good friends are stone atheists, and some are born-again Christians. But they are all decent, hard-working, honest folks whose company I enjoy, and they enjoy my company. We don't always see eye-to-eye on everything, but that doesn't matter. And if I call one of them up and ask a favor, I know they will do what they can to help me, just as I would help them if the situation were reversed.

And we don't keep track of who's done what for whom. That's not how it works.

15. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Good point, there. For some reasons, when I was in upstate NY, there were some type of "favor credit" among us. When I asked for a favor, he says he did for me this for the other day (which is tell me I went above the friendship crdit). This is not all the time, though.

16. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Nope.in theory, of course:)

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, being a good friend doesn't mean you have to be a sap. Even though none of us keep track of favors and such, if any one of us took advantage of another's goodheartedness too often, I'm sure something would be said about it eventually. There are limits to friendship (unless, of course, you're married to your friend, in which case the sky's the limit).

18. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm an excellent friend. i try to treat people as I would like to be treated. But the older you get, the less friends you have. I still have a ton of friends, but just not the same as they used to be, either "work" or significant other gets in the way. :(

19. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Good point, again. I have added one more thing on my original post as your comment gave me an idea.

20. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

I know what you are saying. I have to separate my work friends and regular friends (whose ranks are getting thinner because of my inattention and lack of motive to maintain).

21. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

So I've heard that I'm a great friend...I try to be there for all of them because I would want the same.

Bless

22. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Excellent point. I used to have quite a large number of "friends", but as I got older I realized that many are just classmates more than real friends.

Which is maybe one of the most important parts of a friendship (as long as no one takes advantage of the other). That's probably the reason I've had the same best friend for over 18 years

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    2 quotes come to mind.

"A friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a body."

"A friend will bail you out of jail. A true friend will be sitting next to you saying 'Damn, that was fun'"

Am I a good friend? Dunno. I just remembered something from Pygmallion. Paraphrased below

"I like the colonel because he treats everyone the same. He treats a flower girl like a duchess."
    "Just like me."
    "No, you're different"
    "No, I'm just the same, I treat a duchess like a flower girl."

Perhaps I am a bad friend because I treat everyone the same.

24. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

loner

I guess I would be If I had any. Haven't spoken to or seen any of them in 5 or 6 years.