Are You a Hipster?

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Oct 20, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
  2. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Im definitely not a hipster,

but I am definitely hipsterish.

Mainly because of the whole 70's shirt thing. I pretty much only wear a) 70's shirts or b) plain white T's :).

3. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    An interesting read eyelikeart. I'm not a hipster.

Own none of these
    *Camper shoes - dress shoes, walking shoes, and sandles
    * Pre-worn jeans/corduroys - scubs and dress pants
    * 70's shirt - short sleve shirts and T- shirts
    * Buddy Holly glasses - contemporary
    * Strategically unkempt hair - cut short but still able to comb part left
    * Manhattan Portage messenger bag - just a regular material type bag

Here are the hipster deciding factors:

* If you maxed out your credit card to pay for an outfit such as the one above, you're a hipster. No, pay off in full monthly
    * If you live in a converted loft with exclusively Ikea furniture, you're a hipster. live in a 3 1/2 story house
    * If you live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn; Berkeley, San Francisco; Capitol Hill, Seattle; Allston, Boston; or another similar community, you're a hipster. Boston
    * If you often say the phrase "No Worries", you're a hipster. No
    * If, when asked what you do for a living, you reply: "I'm an artist", you're a hipster. I'm a nurse.
    * If you deny the existence of hipsters and hipsterism, you're a hipster. Was not aware of a hipster till this article.

I'm medium build, with in stated weight class, and low body fat.
  4. shadowfax macrumors 603

Sep 6, 2002
    Houston, TX
  5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    hipster tendencies....but not a hipster ;)

Best phrase on this is from Seinfeld where Elaine calls Cramer a 'hipster dufus' :D

6. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    It would seem that I am not a hipster. The only one that I fit is the abnormally low body fat. I really can't help that though and I do eat as much as any other person.
  7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  8. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    hipsters have some of their roots from hippies and some from the conformist corporations to buy "cool" stuff

while the article thinks the hipster is ultimately the pawn of the greedy corporations and thus conformists to a certain advertising market, hipsters are not devoid of a political point of view...being that a lot of hipsters are trust funders or very close, they are more likely to rule society due to their birthright than the non hipsters who work their tails off and are too busy paying bills responsibly to be involved in any underground culture

i think young hipsters know that one day they will be running things but are quite content to live their youthful years as renegades and artists and slackers

it's funny to reach middle age and see hipsters become blended into society and shed any hipster tendencies when the kids come along or they end up inheriting the family business...a close look into the youths of al gore and george w bush will show that they could have easily fit that description in their youth, too:p
  9. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    i can't believe i'm about to admit this, but... hey, ikea fits the price tag for a graphic designer's salary. yes, for my apartment in brooklyn. did you mean to make me cry today?
  10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    hey, I've been shopping at Ikea since 94 - its cheap and a pain sometimes to put together, but it works. And some of the stuff actually looks good. But I haven't really bought anything there in over 2 years, I still have some of the stuff in the house.

11. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    That i've skipped ikea and went straight to design within reach and oriac and restoration hardware and stopped wearing vintage threads in 1996... what does that make me???

Post hipster? ;) What a friggin' joke anyway you put it. I'm just glad to let y'all see some REAL furniture designers. ;)

Wanna see hipster? This is our drummer. I really don't like him too much:

He's not just a tool but a whole toolbox. :D
  12. gotohamish macrumors 65816

Jul 15, 2001
    Er, by these qualifications - YES I AM.

Though not in an NYC Trucker Cap Williamsburg Stylee!

I have 5 pairs of Campers, a MP message bag, unkempt hair, the glasses... all of it.

Except the 70s shirt. Thank god.

Ahem. Yes, where was I?

Pics at in the UK bit (the rest is and being built) for the laydeez... :cool: ;) :confused:
  13. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    haha..not at all... ;)

While I may pose some hipster qualities, I wouldn't label myself as one. I like my 10 year old Doc Martens & bowling style shoes, my cords, use the phrase "no worries," tend to be a bit on the lean side, and make my living as an "artist" of sorts, but does it really make me a hipster? I mean, I've got the most positive attitude out of anyone I know (yes, I'm boasting), so that seems to place me out of the league.

I dig old school styles, but am not much on the vintage threads. I admit that I have recently bought a Ben Sherman, retro style shirt from a men's store here because of it's 70's appeal, but it's almost modern in a sense.

I've always been attracted to classic style, ever since I was a kid. I am unsure where it all stems from, maybe a longing for that classy feel I often associate with the past eras? I just like going with what speaks to me, and that tends to be a big variety.

The word I like to use best is "eclectic." ;)
  14. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i touch on some qualities of the Hipster but can't say that i would fit into that category..

why is this site ripping on this style? is there really anything wrong with it?...everyone is an individual and can look or act however they want
  15. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Being a "hipster" obviously has no relation to being "hip". Admitting to being "hip" or defining oneself as "hip" automatically negates one's hipness.
  16. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    First off, there is nothing wrong with IKEA, but one should not decorate their own house soley from IKEA and they are considered REAL furniture designers, on the other hand neither Design Within Reach nor Oriac design or offer their own furniture, they sell other companies/designers products. And Restoration Hardware has always seemed way to Martha Stewart for me.
    Now a few "REAL" designer companies to check out are BoConcept , De La Espada , Habitat and West Elm
    Another great store along the lines of DWR is]Unica[/url]
  17. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2002
    Chicago, IL, USA
    you might call me a hipster. i have the glasses. i don't listen to "mainstream" music, i put quotations on labels like "mainstream". whatever.

i don't look like moxie's drummer, though. can't afford ikea furniture or 70s clothes. i wonder what the author has against hipsters? he's got a lot of venom.
  18. Zion Grail macrumors regular

Dec 24, 2002
    After reading the article I have concluded that I in no way fit the definitions above, thus I am not a "hipster". Not by a long shot.
  19. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    i just realized that by these qualifications my grandpa is a hipster
  20. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i'm definately not a hipster, but people think i'm a hippie... and i have no idea why. i where mostly "skater" clothes... i suppose it could be the fact that i just don't care about too much stuff... that's kind of non-60s-movement hippy... actually that's a little more beatnik... which i've also been referred to as...

:confused: :confused: :confused: