are you a jock or a nerd...or both

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Aug 10, 2002.

jock/nerd meter

1. i spend weekends studying for the SAT/GMAT/GRE/MCAT/GRE

0 vote(s)
  2. i play one or more high school sports/college sports

1 vote(s)
  3. i play sports and i am also a good student

9 vote(s)
  4. i don't study and i don't play sports

3 vote(s)
  5. i don't really care

4 vote(s)
  1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    so which are you??

in high school, i played soccor and track and graduated a "C" college, i was a much better student, but played no sports...and now, i just take classes for fun which i don't put the effort i should into them and i don't do any sports...sometimes i play tennis, but i get my clock cleaned:p
  2. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    Hmmm.... I like sport..... wish I got more spare time to play sports...... especially mountain biking and rowing (I really must try in on the wet stuff)...... no where near as fit as i should be...... :( and could do with shedding a couple of pounds and I don't mean the metal ones that line my pockets......

Ultimately I love work too much to really get good at a particular sport....... but I still like studying/learning and generally improving my all round knowledge......

But I'm not a jock........ I'm English and proud..... ;) :D :p
  3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    I'd have to say I'm a bit of both - although like iGav mentioned, its tough sometimes to find the time to stay in shape. But I've managed it so far.

4. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    I'm a Harley riding, gun toting GEEK damnit... :D

Keep your stinkin nerd hands off my ride, or there will be... trouble. :eek: :D
  5. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    you are an american original:p
  6. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

i dont play any sports but i have a 4.0 gpa ;) (no AP classes at my school:()
    i spend most of my time on a roumor site devoted to the apple computer.
    i am a geek, and i am proud of it.
  7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA

id say imma jock. I play all sports but tennis and golf (football, baseball, basketball are my 3). But I do good in school, but i dont study...ever.
  8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    in high school I didn't play any sports...nor did I actually try to make decent grades...not until my Senior year anyway...

wasn't either to be honest...more of a ghost I suppose....although I was one of the better known artists... ;)
  9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I'm one of those who goes both ways :)eek: ).

I played high school basketball and volleyball, and graduated in the top 10 of my class.

I played club volleyball and rowed for my university, and graduated as the top student in the College of Arts and Letters this May.

I'm in grad school now, but any more sporting activities are going to be training on my own. I hope to try a half-marathon in January.
  10. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm a recreational sports kinda guy. I go jogging, rollerblading, and rockclimbing quite a bit, but the occasional game of baseball or soccer really gets me excited if there ever is enough people to play them.

I have some strange obsession with staying in shap tho. If I don't go down to the gym 3 times a week to do my usual weight training and cardio stuff, I actually feel myself getting fatter.

My recent addiction to MacRumors hasn't helped either...:rolleyes:
  11. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2001
    I was a nerd in highschool and a jock in college. What happened? No idea....
  12. awrc macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI
    Have to say nerd. Although I'm something of an amorphous blob these days, back in high school I was in pretty good physical condition.

However being fit doesn't count for much when you've got the coordination of a vegetable. Couldn't hit, kick or throw a ball to save my life. I was never the guy who got picked last for sports teams, but I was usually in the last three or four :)

I was actually a semi-decent runner (since putting one leg in front of the other was within my capabilities) but the standard High School PE Teacher Humiliation Rituals meant I'd have nothing to do with the PE Department, and I'd managed to get out of it entirely by the time I was 16 (due to going berserk and attacking the PE teacher, if I remember correctly - he chose a bad day to pick on me).

I was planning to get back to running (or at least jogging) as part of my "get back into shape" efforts, but since my leg now contains (looks at hospital bill) over $1100 woorth of surgical stainless steel hardware, I'm pretty much restricted to walking for the rest of my life. Good enough for me, I guess, since walking should still give me the health benefits.
  13. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Jan 1, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I played hockey my freshman year (goaltender) but that was about it. I was more like you eye-- me and my friend jer were the artsy guys, we wore a lot of black or odd 60's vintage clothes, and caused a fair amount of trouble-- but no one ever suspected us.

My guidance counselor told me "You should forget about college and learn a trade. Or you could become a (christian) brother...."

Funny. I went to college, managed a 3.9 for three years (psych and english lit/creative writing), dropped out with 18 credits to go, went to art school, became a designer and started my own business.

And saw that guidance counselor at a 75th anniversary celebration for my school in which I was dressed in a hot suit from Italy, took my sexy c ute girlfriend (at the time) and held in my hands the invites that i designed, that featured the logo I designed.

He ate quite a bit of crow, for sure. :)