Are you a Politician?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mpw, Sep 27, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

I was wondering whether any members are politicians. We've got some elections coming up here next month so all the normal campaigning is going on at the moment and as I always do at this time I wonder whether I should stand next time round? After all I seem to understand the issues as well as many of those standing.

So are you a politician, and if so why did you stand, how do you perform (honestly), are there perks :D and what are the worst of the downsides?

It'd be helpful if when answering you let us know where in the world you are and, if possible, what level of politics you're at.

Obviously those unsuccessful candidates can answer with campaign stories and those who are in the same boat as me and are thinking about it.

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

3. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I would be interested in hearing some too. I have been thinking of running for the local school board, don't care about the perks, but interested in the process of standing up to run for a position, however small or large (mongo had a thing going on a write-in I think?).

4. mpw thread starter Guest

I see that sort of thing on TV from the US but we don't really get that sort of thing here, i guess the schools don't have large enough campus' to support it.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's really a pretty big joke... not missing out on anything, don't worry.

6. mpw thread starter Guest

I can't believe there aren't more politicians or aspiring politicians amoungst us!

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'm not a politician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Lethal

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i don't get it, but it didn't stop me from laughing.

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My maternal grandfather (Robert Grady Johnson, D-Pender County) was Speaker of the House of the North Carolina legislature back in the 1930s, and also ran the state Department of Prisons for a while. I've also had one uncle (John Trammell Church, D-Vance County) and a cousin (Charlie Johnson) who both served in the NC legislature.

*And* some of my cousins in Raleigh used to live right next door to Sen. Jesse Helms. I have a US flag that he had flown at the US capitol for me. (Back in its original box.) Sen. Helms also sponsored me for US Air Force Academy.

*And* my Mom has met Baroness Margaret Thatcher, Dan Quayle, and Bill Clinton, among others. (I have pictures of her with Thatcher and Clinton.)

*And* Adm. Stansfield Turner, who ran the CIA under President Jimmy Carter, wrote me an excellent letter of recommendation to the USNA back when I applied. (He was one of my Dad's instructors when my Dad attended the Naval War College in Newport back in 1972-1973.)

*And* I have the business card of Charlotte's mayor, Pat McCrory, magnetted to my fridge.

You could say I'm pretty well connected, politically. I've kept my nose clean in case I ever decide to run for office.

10. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

LOL
    You are now obviously over qualified! :p

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Didn't BTTM express some interest in running for something at one point? I wonder if he's still thinking about it...

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yes, he did. i think he was looking at a run for a house seat.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not a politician, and no plans to be one. I have more than half a brain. Hitchikers reference. Seriously though, too many skeletons in my closet. I thought about being a Karl Rove-type person. Only, you know, not evil.

14. mpw thread starter Guest

No problems there for me. I always dump the bodies in the woods.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't keep us in suspense. We want names and dates.

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

My great uncle (grandfather's brother), John Yates, is in in the Georgia House of Representatives. He seems to have an easy time getting re-elected. He's very popular in their district, and I'm sure represents his (republican) constituency pretty well.

I personally don't like the idea of having a career where you have to be so squeaky clean and you're under constant scrutiny. My job and my personal life are separate and stay that way. That's one reason I've avoided classified work in my career (which is tough when you live in the DC area).

17. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

No way ... pleased to say that I have enough integrity to avoid the swamp known as politics.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My last political appointment was Vice President of the Students' Union 30-odd years ago. That was more than enough for me. Those political groupies just don't give you a moment's peace.

19. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

student gov't at university. first as a senator representing the off-campus constituency, then as president pro-temp of the senate.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

So you know what I'm talking about, eh?
    ;)

21. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh

it was quite a life lesson when, trying to get permission and funding for a student-owned radio station, a dean pulled me aside and explained how the adminstration (who was opposed to the idea) knew that all they had to do was wait a year for me to graduate.

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i assume you failed a class or two so that you could stay in school longer and give them hell?! hah

23. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

extra semester, actually. then i had to get out of there to maintain my sanity. (the university and central indiana, not necessarily student gov't)

i had money to make! :)

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to put you in the closet. ;)