Are you a stand-up comedian?

Discussion in 'Community' started by oldschool, Mar 12, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I'm a sit-down comedian...Every time I get up to make a joke, everyone just asks me to sit down and shut up...

See, there you go...

Just like that...

[Awkward silence]

Yeah...Exactly...

3. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not a comedian of any kind. Don't even have the ability to remember a joke.

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i sometimes get on a roll and think i am funny because the people around me laugh...but they know me well and my sense of humor

i don't know if i can make a group of strangers laugh the same way

if i was truly funny, then i would have the ability to make them laugh again and again but i am scared to try

but i may go to the friday night open mike, where i have sometimes done well as a musician and singer, but i have not tried full on stand up comedy

i don't know if i am politically incorrect but i do find howard stern funny even though my better instincts tell me he is cruel to people...he can't be called anti-gay because he claims to love lesbians....he can't be called anti-black because his co-host of many years is black, and a woman, and he can't be called anti-semitic because he is jewish...so i think he uses this bullet proof protection to make it open season on everybody

i know many liberals find his sexist jokes tasteless so he won't be labeled a liberal but that does not make him a conservative...especially since he likes to target the president

if i were a stand up comic, i guess i could make fun of asian people since i am asian and i could make fun of men since i am male, and i could make fun of fat people because i have weight issues...i used to have this great, funny jihad character who was goofy and great for anti-america jokes but then 9-11 happened and that character died

...and americans love to laugh at themselves so i will have to come up with another character

and finally, i liked andy kaufman's crazy stand up characters and he was truly cutting edge ;)

6. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

No, but I do stand up when I'm cooking. I don't cook very often. I am also a standup comedian.

7. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Every once in a while I can get going on a good schtick, and I somehow can make it keep going for a good while, but its always around friends, never in a stand-up type setting.

8. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Funny that you ask. I am currently enrolled in a stand-up comedy class. I joined to get over my fear of public speaking. I find that getting up there and doing my set is extremely terrifying yet strangely rewarding at the same time. The class has helped my comic writing as stage presence. I have discovered through this course that stand-up is alot harder than it looks. Everyone thinks that they can be a comic but few realize that it takes much effort to get real good. I should be doing my first open mike real soon. I just hope that the crowd aint too rough.

9. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

i'm a sketch comedian. got a lot of friends doing stand up.