are you a stoner?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kungfu, Sep 4, 2002.

?

are you a stoner?

1. yes

21 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. no

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  1. kungfu macrumors regular

so i was walking around borders the other day with my new cocoa book, and i noticed they had dedicated an entire shelf to books about cultivation and some just with pictures of buds. it occurred to me that many mac users that i knew were stoners, so I'm wondering how many of you are...? this is also a followup i guess to the "do you smoke" thread..... :D

kungfu

2. job macrumors 68040

job

nope.

to quote krossfyter : "never have, never will."

but then, to each his own..

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

4. job macrumors 68040

job

agree completely.

5. vniow macrumors G4

What do I need drugs for? What kind of pathetic imagination do you think I have? :D

6. 3777 macrumors 6502

I'm addicted to coke....... Coca Cola that is:D ......... I drink it by the gallon, that stuff is probably more toxic then anything else sold in Supermarkets.....including drano....... I also use it to take rust off things, works great....lol:eek:

7. kungfu thread starter macrumors regular

hahah... wow, seem to have hit a sesitive topic here... and i agree, you don't need drugs to enjoy life... i know plenty of stoners who enjoy life to its fullest without any drugs... some i know stay away from pot for months at a time and just use it occasionally... none of them that i know are addicted, and certainly none of them need it to be happy or whatever. i always think its funny how many people are so negative towards something they've never even tried. but whatever, i don't care at all what people do, its their choice completely....

kungfu

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i wouldn't call them a "stoner" if they don't smoke pot except for every so often... but that's me

also, if something does harm to the body or other people, then it's not too hard to judge it without trying it

you don't have to try punching someone in the face for no reason to know it's going to hurt them and that it's "bad" do you?

i agree it's people's choice. just think it's kinda sad is all

9. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

im not a stoner but the only mac stoner i know is mac15 :p, hes high non stop :p
    jkjk

10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Marijuana

I never knew that Marijuana kills you. I mean, it can make you do bad things, but Marijuana has never actually killed somebody.

So whats the big deal with bud?

You know in Amsterdam where its legal to smoke bud, there is a lower weed smoking rate than in the U.S.?

I dont see why the government cares so much over something that never really hurt anyone, but yet they spend millions to stop it.

My bro and most of his friends just smoke maybe once a month just to relax, you know?

11. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Marijuana

who said it kills you?

12. kungfu thread starter macrumors regular

well... it think the "health" issues floating around pot are pretty vague... i'm not sure that they really know that much about it's permanent effects on people's health (obviously if you smoke 5 times a day its going to have a negative effect because you're inhaling smoke and **** into your lungs, but who does that?). there's definitely a great ammount of propaganda on both sides though, the government classifying with much more harmful drugs and other people claiming how incredibly healthy it is.

i can understand how harmful pot can be to some people who misinterpret it as a way to cure depression, to be "cool", or whatever... i've seen a lot of people use pot for all the wrong reasons, and there certainly a group of people who are stereotypically assosiated with smoking weed who make me "sad".

on the other hand, there's another group of people who don't abuse the use of pot whom i can sympathize with.

it all depends on how you look at it.

kungfu

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Was this inspired by my little comment in the smoking thread? ;)

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well put kungfu

just curious what you think the "right" reasons to smoke pot are.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

drugs never really did appeal to me much...always had other things to do with myself... ;)

17. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

this looks like a pretty wholesome and healthy group
    than there is that guy called BongHits who's name shows up occasionally ;)
    im not a stoner but im not gonna deny having tried it

18. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    i really do not think that it is prudent to believe government studies which were done to prove pot is bad for you. there have been just as many studies which have said that pot is just as bad, if not better than cigarettes.

if you ask a TRUTHFUL doctor which he would rather see you use- pot or alcohol, he would say pot. you can not overdose and die from it, you do not cause fatal accidents, you liver does not die (lungs...yes).

until recently, pot was better then cigarettes due to it "naturalness"- no chemicals are added to enhance its flavor.

so- my point is that if you are going to knock pot, i sure hope you are not a smoker or heavy drinker, they are just as bad, if not worse. the only difference is that for some weird reason, the latter are legal and the former is not.

19. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Being an avid photgrapher guy i've noticed the following:

normal (no substances) : I can take a fairly good hand shot with no shake of the camera

Caffeinated : I'm jumpy like a kangaroo

Drunk : Same.

Stoned : I can hold a 2" exposure perfectly still, no tripod in use.

I dunno what all that means... :D

m

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Don't forget Inhale420...:rolleyes:

As others have said: never tried it, don't plan to.

21. kungfu thread starter macrumors regular

reasons? i guess to have a little fun occasionally (to be able to think in a completely different mindset is pretty amazing)... however, at the same time i think that it shouldn't get in the way of your life, it shouldn't harm anyone or make them feel uncomfortable, and it definitely shouldn't get in the way of your goals.

the one thing that pisses me of the most is when someone says to me, "duuuude, I got sooooo high last night!", or something lame like that...

i hate all that crap. anyone who seeks to promote themselves by advertising that they smoke is pretty lame if you ask me (ie bonghits and inhale420), but i guess you never know.

kungfu

btw... i guess i should have rephrased the name of this poll/thread... "stoner" seems pretty excessive i suppose...

22. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

I would never knock a person for not trying herb. But I get a little upset when people have the condescending attitude towards it.

Quick sub-poll...How many of you who answered no (or more specifically "Never tried it, never will.") have ever been under the influence of another mind altering drug? Alcohol, nicotine, runners-high, etc.

The fact of the matter is that no one "needs" anything to have fun. I don't need a movie to have a good time, but I enjoy them. Some people simply find drugs and alcohol an escape, or a release, or a way to socialize. And there is nothing wrong with that unless it gets out of hand. In some cases these activities can be mentally beneficial (again, if done in a moderate "healthy" way).

And a final note. As many of you know (and as many of you pot heads like to preach :)) marijuana is far better for you than alcohol, nicotine, or even caffeine (at least addiction-wise). Not to say that its GOOD for you. But you could do a lot worse by most people's drugs of choice.

I would simply promote a more open attitude towards ganja by those of you who have closed your minds to the drug. Even if you'll never try it, at least don't look down at those who do. Thats just a nasty thing to do.

Taft

23. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Understandable taft. very noble response.

i however do not look down on those who love the ganja. some great people smoke weed. as for myself i feel it would be to my detriment. and your right taft i enjoy other highs... runners high or in my case weight lifters high... and caffeine high etc. etc. i just dont lift weights for the sole purpose of the high and the same for caffeine. the only time i drink a drink to obtain some sort of chemical alteration to my body is when i drink a red bull.

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

"Illicit substances"

Here's where marijuana gets tricky...

Nicoteine and alcohol are substances "accepted" by society as legitimate for consumption. Caffeine is so prevalent that it doesn't even register anymore.

At one time in US history alcohol was banned, the outcry was large enough that the law was overturned. Marijuana could head this route eventually...

I think that smokers/drinkers get defensive about their habits because of the negative stereotypes (alcoholics, perpetual stoners), and feel that people who say they don't/won't do it are looking down on them.

It's a choice you make. You choose what to put in your body, I choose what to put in mine. It's that simple. It's not condescending, just stating a fact.

25. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Re: "Illicit substances"

True 'dat. :)

And people who drink or smoke (or wrestle, or read, or trap shoot, or use Macs :eek: :eek: ) have a tendency to get defensive about their habits. Especially those who make it a habit or really get into it. And when they blindly defend their habits because of their love for said habit, they are often doing it for the wrong reasons. They can often lose touch with what they liked about it in the first place--what makes it good--and defend it because they have for so long. They cross that line and walk into zealot-hood.

But on the other side of the coin are those who reject activities, habits, and illicit substances out of ignorance, superstition, peer-pressure or gods know what other reasons that has turned them off. These people make a decision based on a gut reaction or a blind prejudice and end up being condescending wether they try to or not.

The people whom I respect are those that make informed and intelligent decisions about what they do with themselves--in all aspects of life. "Because" will never be an acceptable answer for me. Unless, of course, it is followed by some ominous and heartfelt statement such as "I don't want to talk about it." Yikes!

So my message to all you kids out there is this: be true to yourself and make your own decisions. Get the facts, understand them, contemplate them, and then make an informed decision that comes from inside you. That way, you can never go wrong.

Taft

I always liked this...

Mistakes and failures are two very different things. If you learn from it and remain true to yourself in your words and actions, a mistake will never become a failure.