Are you a 'supertaster'

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

This sounded ridiculous the first time too, ...but

Are you a supertaster? I definitely am, it sucks for some things, I can't stand most fruit and I almost never eat veggies. Bland foods is what I thrive on .:eek: :(

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No.

What's funny is that my iPod just shuffled to the TMBG song linked from Wikipedia. (hey I have kids).

You listening to my iPod Peyton?

B

3. evilinsanity macrumors member

John Lee Supertaster was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this thread... :p

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

The BBC quiz on Wikipedia said that I was, but then the results page said that we (supertasters) usually hate spinach and coffee, my two staples.

I am now denouncing supertastism. I love Coffee and I love spinach!

5. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I don't think I'm a supertaster, but I'm obnoxiously picky. I hate cabbage but love egg rolls. (Their like what, 90% cabbage?!?) I hate onions but if your batter and fry them I'll gobble them up. Can't stand peppers but I love stuffed peppers!! I like bread, lunchmeat and lettuce but don't you dare throw it all together and label it a sandwhich! I gave up on trying to figure myself out a long time ago. It just can't be done.

6. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Seconded! :) TMBG rules.

Anyway, on topic, no, I'm not. I think it would probably be really fun for a day, and pretty tedious for the rest of my life. I bet cheese would be extra delicious though... :p

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

mr. pibb and red vines is crazy delicious...

...say what?!

:p

8. zach macrumors 65816

zach

according to the BBC quiz, i'm a supertaster.

i'm going to do the experiment they recommend tommorow and count my taste buds, it'd be cool to find out. interestingly enough, i do despise coffee, spinach, brussels sprouts, etc. i do like grapefruit though, strange...

9. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

this attribute or we can say talent should goes to those who make cooking a living...dont you agree??

10. cyberddot macrumors 6502

cyberddot

Sounds like someone getting a graduate degree in "Getting Back At Parents" for accusations of being a picky eater. I have extra taste buds for tasting more of the food I eat. ;)

11. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

The quiz results say that I'm in between a Supertaster and normaltaster.

12. Linkjeniero macrumors 6502

I'm a supertaster, and boy, does this explain a lot... no wonder I don't like alcohol, coffee, grapefruit, shellfish, lots of vegetables (spinach if OK though), and I'm the first one at my home to notice food going bad (when other people just can't feel any difference). I too was constantly accused of being picky with food when I was a kid... now they're used to it I suppose.

13. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

well GOOD! I'm glad someone took something away from this. Word of advice though, don't bring this up in casual conversation as people will stare at you and think you are making up excuses or just laugh in your face. :eek: I'm serious ;)

14. Oblivious macrumors 6502

Huh, according to that test I am a supertaster, and it does explain a lot. I'm a very picky eater, don't like coffee, brussel sprouts and most spinach (unless cooked well, aka, to my liking). I also tend to hate complex dishes where there are several main ingredients that are all blended together; I tend to like the contents separate so that I can pick out the things I don't like.:p However, I do like many vegetables and all fruit.:cool:

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. I'm like a hyperactive Popeye.....I can't possibly be a supertaster.

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I rated as a supertaster by the test, and it might have been something in it: I hate grapefruit, dislike spinach and find brussels sprouts, cabbage and coffee quite bitter (though in brussels sprouts, cabbage and coffee I actually don't mind and find them quite tasty).

But when one of the articles said that supertasters "also shy away from very fatty, salty and sugary foods", and then I knew something was wrong. I love salt and sugar, and even though I avoid food that drips of fat (because I don't like the tast of the fat/oil/whatever) I eat more than a fair share of things considered fatty food, so I don't really know... :eek: :p

I might have been a supertaster originally, but killed off enough taste buds in the 14 years I used to smoke to just be a partial one now... ;)

17. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I saw a documentary on something like this several years ago--I think for a college class or something. In any case, the groups were referred to as tasters and non-tasters. I am definitely not a supertaster. Most foods, including citrusy fruits taste very good to me.

I hope my kids (after they come into existance) and the hubby don't start using this as a blanket excuse to not eat their vegetables.... :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea probably. I was horrendously careful of what I'd eat up a couple of years ago. from never having anything 'extreme' I started having extremely hot salsa dips for Doritos. So I probably broke something along the way.

I don't have coffee, cabbage etc. I drink mineral water and orange cordial (no alcohol drinks either). I love non-spicy Chinese foods. I can't stand spicy Thai stuff.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

;)

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Hmm. Quiz told me I'm a supertaster. I had to run to the mirror to see my tongue.

I am picky, and I often do taste what my family can't... but I love coffee, love grapefruit (well, more like pomelos), cabbage (certain dishes), and I don't mind brussels sprouts, and I like spinach. :shrug:

21. takao macrumors 68040

takao

supertaster

don't like coffee or spinach
    cabbage only as sauerkraut (only in small amounts) and brussel sprouts only sporadical (i don't buy it and they aren't popular in my family either)
    grapefruit only with lots of sugar

oh and i hate broccoli/cauliflower .. since they are part of the cabbage family i think that explains a lot

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I first thought it was "Are you are 'superstar'?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.