Are you a Switcher?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by netdog, Jun 7, 2006.

?

Are you a Switcher?

Poll closed Jun 7, 2007.
  1. I switched to Mac in 2006 (A MacIntel Switcher)

44 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. I switched to Mac in 2005

42 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. I switched to Mac in 2004

23 vote(s)
    15.2%
  4. Switched before 2004, but after the introduction of the PowerPC

16 vote(s)
    10.6%
  5. I never was a Windows users, so how could I switch?

26 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I see a lot of people posting that they are recent switchers from Windows, especially since the MacBook was introduced. Many others report that they are about to switch here. Anyway, I am curious as to how many users here might actually identify themselves as switchers from Windows.

I can't post in the polls section, and this seemed to be the best fit of the others as a lot of us look here and "new to mac?" is one of the forum descriptions for this sections.

I also realize that many users spend time on Windows and Mac, but if you have adopted the Mac as your preferred platform after having been primarily a Windows user, even if you still use both, I think it is still fair to identify you as a switcher. I still have to use Windows (in a virtual machine under OS X usually), but whenever I can use my Mac, that is what I choose to use. That makes me a switcher even though I do sometimes use a Windows machine.

Anyway, curious to see what the answers are.

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

awww. what if you haven't switched (either way, mac to win or vice versa)..i still use windows and linux on a regular basis..

3. netdog thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

See my edited post. If you still can't choose, then I guess you don't fit. I can't edit the poll, and I do want the poll to reflect people who have come to prefer Mac as switchers, even if they use multiple platforms.

Also, someone who uses Boot Camp on a Mac (or Linux under Paralles) is using a Mac to do it. I run Windows on a Vaio and a Toshiba now and then, but I prefer to run it on my Mac.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

considering how the hardware is nearly identical except for the logos on the damn cases...dunno how much of a difference that makes :( i guess i just won't vote, i don't fit anyway..

5. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

6. ready2switch macrumors 6502

As my username suggests, I have not yet made the switch but I will as soon as I find the finances to. I am planning to buy a MBP either after their next big update (Merom?) or after MacWorld in January 07 (based solely on finances, it's looking more like January :( )

I have not used a Mac on a regular basis at all (I have friends and family that have Macs), but I just can't seem to bring myself to buy another Windows machine. I admit I have been tempted but I just can't see spending money on something that may very well be worthless the next day (viruses, spyware, random stupid MS programming).

So anyway, ask again in a few months :p

7. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I switched after my sister got an iPod - she bought a Mini, and then I bought her a Mac Mini, and then I got jealous...

...so then, I picked up an iBook, and it worked quite a bit better than my PC...and now I have a Macbook Pro!!! :)

EDIT: Dang, there are a lot of recent (2006) MacIntel Switchers...cool!

8. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I switched over a year ago now to a PowerBook and I'm 100% sure I'll never go back. Any time I have to use a Windows machine I just remember how irritating it was. I managed to switch my family over a few months ago and they're all really happy with an Intel iMac.

I'll probably upgrade in another year once Leopard is out. :)

9. iCaffeine macrumors member

I made the switch to the mac only 3 months ago with my purchase of the MBP. Havent touched a windows machine since then... Yaa for me :)

10. Rovman macrumors regular

I'm not officially calling myself a switcher, and i never intended to switch fully but... i haven't touched my PC in a week, since i got my Macbook.

11. hikingnclimbing macrumors member

hikingnclimbing

I switched in January, so pre-Intel. Would it have been better to wait? Well, yeah. But, being a Windows user, I didn't know that so stuff was going to be coming out. Oh well! Lesson learned on that one! :eek:

12. aussie_geek macrumors 65816

aussie_geek

Never touched a PC. And have been lucky so far that my job has never required me do learn how to.

aussie_geek

13. itsonlytheend macrumors newbie

I switched in 05' with a mini. I'd used macs before, though i never owned one. I totally don't regret waiting for the intel mini, and knew it was coming when i bought my 1.33 mini. Love it! haven't looked back

14. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Switcher - 2006

I'm a recent switcher. An iMac 20".

I honestly can't say that its my primary platform, since most corporate environments are windows only. I am pretty happy so far...

I did switch primarily because of boot camp / parallels was a viable option as my fallback position. I didn't want to dump $2100 and not have a useable machine.

I'm a corporate developer by trade and use multiple OS's daily (Several Unix variants, VMS, NT, etc.) and was never interested in Mac until OS X arrived.

I certainly think the platform has potential, to the point where I've bought a couple of books to start learning Cocoa / XCode development.

The more I use it, the more I like it... I don't know if I'm ready to take it on full time yet though :eek:

Mike...

15. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

16. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

17. efoto macrumors 68030

Pretty much the exact same story for me. It's been just over one year now since I purchased my first Mac and switched....PowerBook all the way and I couldn't be happier.

I really like the Intel Macs but I have no reason to upgrade right now and the next system I will be getting is a PowerMac so I guess I'll still be using G# chips :)

18. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

I switched before the whole hype of the ipod halo effect in 2004. I had been using macs before then, just couldnt afford one of my own being a poor college student.
    But life is good now. :cool:

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I made the switch in May of 2005 when I bought my Power Mac G5. Since then I also bought an iBook G4 and my lovely new MacBook Pro.

I owned an old PowerBook 165c before I switched, but as of May 2005 I am fully converted into the cult of Mac. :D

20. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I bought an iBook for my freshman year of college late last summer, so I've been a switcher for almost a year. It feels good to say that! :D I still use Windows, though, and will probably use *gasp* Vista when it comes out. *ducks for cover* :eek:

21. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Don't worry, many of us still use Windoze PeeCees in addition to Mac OS.

22. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Never switched. Parents had a Quadra 630 when I was born and I used that... and voila. here I am today. :D

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

2004. Bought a 12" PowerBook.
    2005. Rev. B iMac G5.
    2005. Latest 12" iBookG4.

I guess I'm sort of a halo switcher, in that, I got a 3rd gen 20GB iPod prior to buying my PB. But it really took a friend who was already using Macs to switch me over; he uh, popped my Apple ignorance bubble. :eek:

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've been around Macs since 1983 when my brother brought home our first Apple //e. After that, it was his Mac SE/30. Once he left and took his machines with him, I was a PC user (but still a Mac lover) up until 2003 when I decided I needed a new machine, and that a Mac was the way to go. I've loved my 17" 1.25 GHz G4 iMac ever since and will never go back to PC (although my trusty old Windows box still runs as well as it did 7 years ago when I built it, with only marginal upgrades!)

25. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

In the 80's: Apple II C
    ...long period of windows use, followed by enlightenment and jumping into the Mac world...
    2004: 15" 1.25 PB (work)
    2004: PowerMac Dual 2.5 (work)
    2004: iMac G5
    2005: MBP

I may also be a "halo" switcher, as I purchased a 3G iPod prior to buying Macs.