Are you a terrorist? (__) yes (__) no Please answer honestly.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Man, you think our national Congress is dumb. You ain't seen nothin' till you've seen Ohio's legislature in action:

Plain Dealer link

See? :p

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm.. maybe we could also ask all private contractors to sign forms saying they won't torture people too.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

And the military a don't ask, don't tell policy.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Don't foreigners have to do the same thing when they enter the country? Check a box and sign saying they're not terrorists and their mothers never dated one?

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think 90% of my beloved state of Ohio doesn't support our current governor :eek: Basically, my state is controlled by the same people who just "switch" after their term is up.

6. emmawu macrumors 6502

No I am not a terrorist. I am one of the growing terrified. The government is hacking away at our rights and perhaps it's time to re-read the Declaration of Independence. ;)

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Because terrorism isn't illegal enough? I don't get it.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yup, you also have to say you aren't a communist and have never taken drugs among other things.

9. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

This reminds me of those stupid questions you get asked at airports - did you pack your own bags etc.

10. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

and what if you are an anti-terrorist terrorist?

I was talking with one of my buddies yesterday about the alleged cell of
    Sears Tower terrorists.

During the conversation, I wondered what would have happened if it had turned out that those guys were a small band of vigilantes egging on the FBI agent who said he was Al Qaeda hoping that they could capture him, beat the crap out of him and turn him in to the authorities.

All of a sudden those losers would have been national heros.

In other words a case of double entrapment.

It sure would be an interesting defense.

11. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

All this terrorism stuff has made our general public scared s***less of so many things. I was reading an article the other day of a woman who thought she may have been sent something dangerous because she received a letter from India. Closed down the whole business and called in the guys with the hazmat suits. Luckily I've only had the privilege to read about these people in the news instead of meeting them in real life.

jon

12. Queso macrumors G4

Firstly she thinks India's mostly Hindu democracy is a hotbed of Islamic fundamentalism, and secondly the authorities take her seriously.

I'm starting to think global warming is a good thing. It's best we humans just do ourselves in and let the insects take over :rolleyes:

13. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Of course. Our current administration has made us afraid, so that we'll blindly give them anything they want.

I prefer to follow FDR's advice: "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

14. SC68Cal macrumors 68000

This is almost as worthless as the flag burning legislation.

15. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Which begs the question: If you wrap a "terrorist" in an old, tattered flag, put the whole shebang in a big cardboard tube and set the whole assembly on fire... would any neocon batt an eye? :eek: :confused:

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

You guys are missing the point - the question isn't "are you a terrorist" its "are you doing business with terrorists". It's not aimed at terrorists - its aimed at everyone else.

Now whether this is a good idea or not is still open to debate. :) It basically turns everyone into private investigators and spreads legal liability from criminals to their perhaps law abiding associates. If I bought a coke from a guy on my way to work and I found out five years later that he was a terrorist, maybe i'd have to say yes.

17. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

18. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Your terrorism boobs seem to have sprung some leaks. :cool:

19. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Yeah, but what is it supposed to do? Promote stupidity? Or are enough people already stupid enough to make them think this is "government doing something about the terrible terrorist threat".

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They are. They're disbanding units responsible for capturing terrorists, cutting funding for anti-terrorism efforts in areas most likely to be hit, creating more terrorists than we can kill... shall I go on?

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

You're not seeing it. Imagine an auto service center that provides services to the state of Ohio, as well as lots of other businesses and individuals. Then they get a piece of paper in the mail "please sign this to confirm that you are not doing business with terrorists or any terrorist organizations, and if you don't sign this immediately, you will lose your contract". Now what? You sign it of course.

But what have you really just signed? You have tons of customers, any one of them who could be the next Timothy McVeigh or Eric Rudolph. (Yes, not all terrorists are crazy arabs.) Do you now have the responsibility to investigate all of your customers and employees to determine that they're not terrorists? According to the language of the form you may be. If one of the Columbine kids had a summer job at your place last year, you could lose your contract and then face civil and criminal penalties - lose your livelihood and go to jail. Not for your own actions, but because you associated with the wrong person. See what I mean?

Its similar to the scary drug laws where if I loan my car to my uncle and he gets busted for having some weed in the car, I could get my car impounded and sold under drug forfeiture laws - costing me ten grand or whatever my vehicle's worth. I'm somehow supposedly responsible for the actions of everyone that I provide any sort of assistance to even though I have no way of keeping tabs on them or controlling their actions.

22. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

23. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

I think they could get by with 3 questions-

Terrorist Questionaire
    1) Are you or have you ever been a terrorist?
    2) Are you sure?
    3) Promise you're not lying?