are you active? (my weekend in dc)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jelloshotsrule, Sep 26, 2005.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i spent most of my weekend in our wonderful nation's capital, at 2 events.

the first was the peace rally and march on saturday, as it has been discussed in the other thread. i won't say much else about this except to re-emphasize that it was great to see people of all ages, all walks of life, not just young anarchists with bandanas over their faces.

the second was the green festival.

the festival was a collection of environmental and other progressive minded folks, companies, and non-profits together in a very macworld expo type event. i arrived part way through dennis kucinich kicking the festival off on saturday morning. he was awesome. inspiring and emotional. he ended with a "go green!" yell. it was great. among the other speakers i saw were:

amy goodman of democracy now- she was really great. having listened to the democracy now podcasts off and on for a couple weeks, i didn't know what to expect as she's a news anchor so her emotion on the issues doesn't inherently come through in the broadcasts. but it did in her talk (to a packed audience). it was awesome.

reverend graylan hagler who spoke about how the war has diverted money from other needs. he was amazing... said that if you were in a church where a preacher started talking right wing, pro bush stuff you should stand up, and take someone's hand, and walk out. do not put money in the plate, etc. i want my parents to hear that. mentioned how anytime someone attacks bush on the war to a religious person, their response is all too often "but he's against gay marriage"... a pathetic diversion from a very real and more timely issue.

john de graaf, the co-author of affluenza, (www.timeday.org), talked about how our long work week affects everything from our environment to health etc. our consumerism is killing us, and the environment.

and a few others i won't go into... the festival introduced me to many companies and organizations who do great work, where i will buy my new shoes (www.shoeswithsouls.org), and then just generally heartened me to the amount of good people out there who care and want to make a difference, and inspired me to action as well.

so, after all that, my question is (especially for "progressives", but really for everyone):

what do you do in your community in terms of either service or civic office, etc? any city coucil members? any town hall organizers? etc...

my girlfriend and brother both plan to run for congress at some point. i would like to get more involved in things in general. people like michael moore (and dennis kucinich) often say to start locally, get a position on your city council, etc... so i am curious who all has done it. and also to get ideas for what i can do. frankly, i'd feel a bit of a fraud to get some position that has to weigh in on various topics that i know nothing about (ie, how do i know how much $ should be spent on roads, etc?)..

discuss

ps. if anyone wants to know more about the green festival, check the site, but also, i ordered a cd-rom of all the talks (audio) and would be happy to set anyone up with them once it's delivered.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

very cool that you were there. and milo protested too, yes? anyone else?

never went to DC to protest, but i did protest the gulf war here in chicago. i should definitely go downtown (here) and do so again.

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not as much as I'd like. Working all the time now. I feel like I should do something, but protesting is just not my thing. Otherwise, except for b*tching on here, I feel pretty helpless.

4. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i guess that's the key for me... while i wouldn't say protesting isn't my thing (i obviously went this weekend, and have gone to some before), i realize it's not going to solve things. like dont hate me said about protesting, ultimately you have to vote the guys out of office. and in my opinion, there are very very few people i feel are people i *wouldn't* want out of office... so i want to do something about that, and try to get myself and other likeminded folks into the civic and political arena to try to make a difference. working on the nader campaign was encouraging and yet discouraging. as far as what sort of efforts it takes by lots of good people to run such a campaign, and yet how much the odds are stacked against you/us.

out of curiosity, what sort of work do you do? is there anyway you could work less and spend more time with community/friends/family, and still make enough to support yourself/family? (i ask specifically with things like www.timeday.org in mind)

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'm quiting my job soon, as I'd rather move back home to CA and spend more time with my family and friends. Just trying to pay off bills and get ahead so I can make the move. And work less than 50+ hours a week (plus everything else I have to do). I've done some volunteer work in the past, and worked for non-profits. But like most Americans, it's not so much that I'm too busy. We can always make some time. It's just that we feel there isn't much you can do besides get angry and complain about it.

I'm not denegrating the protesters, I support what they do. I do hope it might make a difference. But I know it probably won't do more than make people more aware, and that doesn't seem to be the problem. People care, they just don't know what to do. Maybe the Dems will come up with a better candidate next time. Or at least the Neocons will stop sucking.

Yeah... right. [:considers moving to Canada:]