Are you afraid of Death?

Discussion in 'Community' started by PlaceofDis, Aug 9, 2005.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

and be honest with yourself.....
    maybe i am morbid or something, but death has always been a peculiar fascination with me, perhaps because i write so much i have led myself to this topic - i don't know what got me started but anyways....

i feel that if i were to die, right now, today, tomorrow, whenever, i wouldn't be afraid, worried, or sad. i have lived my life to the best of my ability, and i am proud of all that i have done, sure there are things i want to do before i go, but i am content with my life as it is..... so death holds no particular sway on me, and perhaps it causes me to seem a bit careless, but i just take things as they come and don't worry about the small things in life...... maybe reckless too, but you only live once (so far as i know) so i might as well enjoy it...

what are your opinions? thoughts?

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

I suppose I must be afraid of death to some extent, because otherwise I would not fear dangerous things, or I would find suicide a feasible option (I don't, however).

Being realistic, because I am not concerned about the afterlife - it seems inconceivable to me - then it must be the process of dying that I am afraid of. The pain, the anguish that it *might* involve. Additionally, because I cannot conceive of an afterlife, I cannot readily conceive of a "non-life". What must it be like to exist no more? Presumably one is not aware of death once it has happened, so I don't let it bother me. But the uncertainty, or fear of the unknown and no longer existing, keeps me wanting to stay alive!

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'd say no. I don't believe in an afterlife, or that anything happens to you after you die – in my mind once you're gone, that's it. So I'm not going to be in a position to worry about it or get upset that I'm dead.

As for whether I'm afraid of dying, that's an entirely different question altogether. If it's painful or slow or drawn out, then definitely yes, I do fear that because it wouldn't be pleasant to go through that process. Far, far better to go out quickly and painlessly in a 'didn't know what hit him' way, or pass away peacefully in your sleep.

I must say you're a cheery soul today, PlaceofDis... ;)

4. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-dops7107

If God wants me, He will take me...

5. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Never been afraid.

Most people are so afraid of death, that they are actually afraid of living.

Similarly, death is always supposed to be bad and sad, and being born just nice and happy. I don't remember actually that I would have been so happy about being born to this world to start with...

Some kid who was dieing of cancer or something, put it very well - "when you die, it's like waking up from a dream that was your life". That is it. After having seen a preview, it is a lot easier to distinguish meaningful things from the meaningless ones, and on the same time, never feeling really free as long as bound to a physical shell (body).

6. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

As long as I'm ready as a person, it doesn't hurt for too long, and there aren't too many people who still need me, then no; I wouldn't say I am...

Interesting topic...

reality

7. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

A little ambiguous that. Are you implying that death comes because of God's calling, and n other reason? There is a direct, divine cause to each and every death?

8. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

I dont think scared is the right word for me. I know that I dont fear death at all, I just think that death is a waste of time. I mean after I die I wont be able to do the things I love anymore. I guess Im more afraid of not doing everything I have ever wanted to do before I die, like I will have missed out on so much stuff after Im gone, thats all really. Im not afraid to die, I just dont want to be in a place where I can miss my life, where ever that may be. but maybe death is badass, and we are all just in awsome video game right now and when we die we emerge in these kick ass space bodies on some far off planet where we can start over and live something else out. that would be wonderful. (no, im not talking ab out heaven here. For those of you who thought that right away when i said "other body")

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

More like, I'm afraid of having wasted my life before I die. But death itself, I suppose it's just scary enough to keep people from killing themselves, but it's not something I worry about. But I'm definitely obsessed with my age, and my birthday's coming up, which won't help...

10. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I was going to post he same so... Agreed.

I'm not afraid of Death (don't belive in any kind of Afterlife either). The Dying part is another matter. Something I thought a bit about after watching a recent Hiroshima documentary (let's just say, I'd rather be one of those near ground zero -- the people who just turned to ash in an instant -- than those a bit further out).

Hmmm... How long since there's been a "Worse way you could die" thread? :D

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Sure, it may sound cliche, but it's true - I live my life to the fullest possible extent every chance I can, so if I were to die tomorrow, I'd have no regrets.

I would be sad in some small aspect that I couldn't continue experiencing all the joys of life, but actually scared of death? No, not in the least. :cool:

12. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

In short - Yes. Dying scares the **** out of me, and I'm still really young.

13. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've been getting to a point in my life where I start thinking about mortality. Living in LA after 9/11 and the Madrid and London bombings brings those thoughts out even more. I have my moments every now and then but by and large I don't permit myself to live my life worrying about death.

Everyone dies eventually. Between now and then I try to work had, have fun, enjoy myself and do things that I feel are worthwhile.

And to split hairs as other posters have I'm not worried about being dead, but it's getting there that can really suck. It's like I'm not afraid of heights... just impacting on the jagged rocks below and, while in agonizing pain, helplessly feel the life drain out of my broken and twisted body. ;)

Lethal

14. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Yes.
    Especially if it is a painful one... I'd rather die in a car accident where I wouldn't know what hit me, than from a painful disease of several months (ie: Cancer)

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I agree. Being dead-not so scary. Dying though, could be really unpleasant.

16. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

I'm not afraid of dying because I won't be around afterward to know the difference. Sometimes I worry about what it might feel like just before I die though.

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    Nope.

When I've been in situations where my life was in jeopardy (a few times in cars - all near-misses or disasters averted at the last second), I know you're supposed to see your whole life flash in front of your eyes, but all that came to mind was, "Oh jeez, this is really gonna hurt."

I think I'm more afraid of the process of dying then death itself - I just don't want it to be terribly painful or drawn out. Zap me out of existence in a single moment (plane into building, nuclear blast, gunshot to head, and so forth), it seems much better than letting it dole on and on (cancer, burning, drowning, etc.).

[Edit]: Never mind.

18. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-dops7107

Hmm, a bit leading your question. No, there's no religious fundamentalism here - I'm sorry there seems to be a sensitivity to that possibility.

No, it was a spiritual way of saying: I will die when I die - not going to waste life worrying about it.

19. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I've heard that drowing isn't really that bad (except for maybe the "I'm going to drown!" feeling), or maybe I'm thinking about something else?

That said, I'm not going to try it out anyday soon :p

20. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Somebody said "It's not necessary to be happy about dying, but you must die satisfied"

All things end, it's cool, I won't know much about it once it's happened and the best we can hope for is a good, quick death with little or no pain.

I have no fear of death or the afterlife (there isn't one) but I do fear dying unfulfilled and knowing it.

21. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm not afraid of death. i'm afraid of the process of dying because it could be damn painful.

i'm just afraid of not being part of life anymore. there is so much to see, learn, experience. when you die all this opportunities are gone. and human kind only begins to understand life, the universe and all the rest. we have just barely scratched the surface.

22. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

23. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I laugh in the face of death!

Tehehehehehe...

Okay, it''s more of a giggle really, but nevertheless, I've never feared death and I don't think I ever will. Oh, and I'm not religious either, if that counts.

24. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I don't fear death nor am I afraid of it. I don't believe in "god" or an afterlife so as pointed out earlier, there is no reason for me to be worried about it as once I am dead I can't consider such a topic.

I am however scared of old age and slowly but surely not being who I am right now both physically and mentally. I like my sport, I love having above average vision and hearing and I love being able to remember what I did yesterday with clarity.