Are you buying your mac now or after Leopard is released?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hdsalinas, Sep 9, 2006.

?

Are waiting for Leopard's release to purchase a mac

  1. No, I cant wait until Leopard, I am getting mine now

    58 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. yes, i holding my purchase until ntil Leopard is released

    32 vote(s)
    29.6%
  3. I am happy with what I have, I am not upgrading (hardware)

    16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. I am waitiong for Vista to purchase a PC

    2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

    hdsalinas

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2006
    Location:
    San Pedro Sula, Honduras
    #1
    Hi,

    I have been waiting since July for Leopard and updates to the iMac line. Leopard is not showing up this year alnd the upgrades to the imac line is more than what I spected. So I am ready to buy.

    So if finances allow, I am going to spend my two weeks christmas vacation unwrapping and playing with a new Imac.

    I wanted to wait to Leopard release but ihave waited enough. I rather get the upgrade later.

    So how about you, are you going to wait for leopard release to get a new mac or you rather not wait?
     
  2. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #2
    If you are that cheap, just 5 finger discount it when it is released and enjoy your Mac in the meantime.
     
  3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

    Bill Gates

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #3
    I'm not waiting because I can't. I'm currently using a borrowed laptop while at college because I refuse to purchase any laptop still using the Core Duo. I'll buy once the MacBook Pro has the Core 2 Duo processor inside. Once Leopard comes out I'll purchase a copy. Alternatively, if I purchase a student ADC membership, I'll upgrade to Leopard when the DVD arrives in the mail.
     
  4. heehee macrumors 68020

    heehee

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Location:
    Same country as Santa Claus
  5. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #5
    Most pointless thread ever

    Why wait for an operating system to dictate your computer purchase. Is there anything wrong with Tiger? It's not like Leopard is going to make a difference with currently shipping software. What's the point of waiting when you can buy Leopard when is comes out?
     
  6. generik macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #6
    It isn't, but some might feel ripped off because they bought a few months too early and didn't get it for free.
     
  7. Demoman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2005
    Location:
    Issaquah, WA
    #7
    I just ordered a new MP and did not give a single thought to Leopard. Mac upgrades are so cheap I feel like I am stealing anyway. You see, I have to purchase M$ licensing and that makes Apple such a better deal.
     
  8. FFTT macrumors 68030

    FFTT

    Joined:
    Apr 17, 2004
    Location:
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    #8
    I bought this machine just before Tiger was released, no biggy.
    Fortunately, I was close enough to the update that they sent me the Tiger upgrade DVD for a nominal fee.
    I just ordered one stock 2.0GHz MacBook due here some time next week
    and I'm seeing what happens at Paris Expo before I order another.
     
  9. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #9
    pfft, forget Leopard, I'm waiting for Liger! I heard it's going to have Steve's reality distortion powers built into it via iDistort.

    This will of course be around the same time quad core chips are shipping, so I'm gonna hold off on my purchase for at least 3-4 years.

    Honestly some people here are so worried about "future proofing" themselves that they'll use any excuse to NOT buy a mac right now or ever.

    I think MR should add a new forum, "Not Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion" that way all the people who are too afraid to actually pull the trigger and buy a mac can discuss their "purchase" decisions over a 3 year curve.
     
  10. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #10
    Haha. If you hadn't written that I would have. If I needed to make a computer purchase I would make it at the moment I had to. As soon as Leopard will be released, your macbook/imac/mac pro/mini will be do for an update in a few months/year/whatever. A new line of products will always be on the horizon. I know some people want to get the latest. I would wait for core 2 duo if I wanted a macbook now, but waiting for leopard or santa rosa is rediculous at this time. It's like saying "should I wait for a 1.5 ghz powerbook that will be released in 6 months time or buy a 1.33 ghz powerbook now. Same thing. Are you willing to wait a few months for a minimal increment or a new OS that will run just as good on the hardware you buy now? Think about your options/patience/money. Then make your decision
     
  11. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

    OnceUGoMac

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2004
    #11
    I for one will be waiting. When I got a G3 iBook, it didn't have the capabilities of handlng certain aspects of OS X, such as the fast user switching animation in Panther. My current G4 iBook doesn't have the capability to produce the ripple effect in Tiger. Also, I can wait. I don't need a new Mac. Hell, I don't need a computer at all, or my t.v., 360, etc.
     
  12. Xenesis macrumors regular

    Xenesis

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2006
    Location:
    Australia
    #12
    As I really need a new mac, I'm going to buy one as soon as I have the money to do so.

    And Leopard isn't that expensive an upgrade regardless.
     
  13. AppleinJapan macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2005
    #13
    I was trying to wait until leopard too but once that 24 inch Imac came out - I was clicking the "buy now" button....Boy it is sweet indeed !! can't wait until It gets here...My old G3 imac was dying and I was crazy to think that I couldve waited what until Spring 07 to get a new one..I'll buy leopard when it comes out
     
  14. YS2003 macrumors 68020

    YS2003

    Joined:
    Dec 24, 2004
    Location:
    Finally I have arrived.....
    #14
    For me, I am more interested in timing my purchasing decision on UB software. Not all software makers have not yet put their acts together to churn out the UB software.

    If you have the recent G4 or G5 units, you should be able to keep working on the projects/hobbies for the next few more years without feeling too slow in your productivity.

    Once Adobe makes UB C3, I may be buying MBP or MP.
     
  15. lenso macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2006
    #15
    how much upgrage leopard will cost?...

    if i'll buy now macbook

    i'll need to buy a new copy of leopard in 129$ ?
     
  16. zwida macrumors 6502a

    zwida

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2001
    Location:
    NYC
    #16
    Yes, if you wanted to upgrade to Leopard, you'd have to spend $129 (or whatever they charge).
     
  17. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a

    Clydefrog

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2006
    Location:
    Pittsburgh,PA
    #17
    im buying whenever the merom MBP comes out either before or after leopard
     
  18. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

    ®îçhå®?

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #18
    Too late, already ordered my new Mac. Anyway, just update to Lepoard when it comes out.
     
  19. Abulia macrumors 68000

    Abulia

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Location:
    Kushiel's Scion
    #19
    Considering some people are still running Panther, making a purchasing decision on a computer based on saving $129 seems like tripping over dollars to pick up pennies.
     
  20. extraextra macrumors 68000

    extraextra

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Location:
    California
    #20
    Lol.

    I'm waiting till like, March at the latest to buy a new laptop. I'm not overly concerned about Leopard, I'll upgrade to it when it comes out. Unless they have a release that's imminent around the time I'm buying.. I guess I'll wait. Maybe.
     
  21. dunc85 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2006
    #21
    Should I buy a Mac now, or wait until it magically buys itself? :confused:
     
  22. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #22
    1. Education Pricing
    2. My job buys me Leopard
     
  23. chopcho macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    #23
    when cs3 is ready

    i'm buing intel mac when Adobe/Macromedia Fireworks is Universal and Leopard is ready :cool:
     
  24. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

    SpankyPenzaanz

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #24
    Just bought a 24"imac (hasn't arrived yet) and waiting for leopard and cs3 for a laptop (which will hopefully bring a full redesign of mbp)
     
  25. j-huskisson macrumors newbie

    j-huskisson

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Nottingham, England
    #25
    For the sake of £90 I'd rather just upgrade to Leopard when it's out and enjoy my new iMac in the meantime :)
     

Share This Page