Are you covered....

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Aug 7, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

If your apartment (if you're a renter) burns down?

I just got 30,000 dollars worth of replacement insurance for my apartment (had to sell the condo - good market here in Annapolis) for $100.00 a year.

Just a thought - I see a lot of gear on here and hoped all the renters are covered.

It's cheap, folks.

2. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I actually don't have renters insurance...starting to think of it now though. I have a 21" TV, dvd player, sound system, 30gallon fish tank, 5gallon, my powerbook, soon I will have a dual 2ghz PM, a G3 beige PM, my gf's dell laptop and I'm sure I'm missing stuff. Any idea on how much a month it would be for maybe...$10,000 worth of coverage?

3. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

Yes, but don't count on the insurance company paying.
    Read your policy carefully and note all the escape clauses.
    Be very careful...

4. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

replacement cost is a nice thing if you can afford it.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Don't underestimate the amount of coverage you need... under-coverage may result in not getting back enough to get you back on your feet.

Doing an inventory of all of your gear (and software!) with serial numbers, and with invoice copies, is a very good thing both for insurance and for warranty repairs. A video tape sweep around the apartment is also a good way to keep a record of posessions. Needless to say you have to keep a copy of the inventory/receipts/videotape at a secure location outside of your apartment...

I had a car fire, and lost a Mac, a lot of software, etc. Man it was a $@&Y* of a job to get a report of all of the things I lost together for the insurance company. They paid out no problems, but I had to provide receipts or written estimates for literally everything.

6. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Right now I live at home so I'm safe, but about half a year ago I lived by myself.
    Two computers plus some other tech. Whould've been expensive in case of fire.

At some points we were three people, all with our computers (4 total) plus various tech. That whould've been very expensive if it burned down.

It wasn't actually until the rest were getting close to moving out that we were thinking about getting an insurance. And when they moved out, I just forgot about it. Heh :p

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

When I was renting, I had renter insurance. Rather be safe than sorry. Now I have homeowners insurance.

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Yes renters ins is cheap. My agent advises to videotape your home and its contents and keep the tape in a safety deposit box. Need to get around to that someday.

9. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I was waffling on this a couple of years ago until I drove home to a sea of fire trucks and the condo 200 yards from my building was just scorched. The next morning, I went and got a policy.

10. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I've got a condo and I pay for "content insurance" every month...costs me about $384/year. I also keep my receipts for all my stuff in a fire-safe.