Are you Dual-Booting OS X and Linux?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slooksterPSV, Mar 22, 2006.

1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I'm curious of how many people are Dual-Booting their systems? I have Kubuntu Dapper Drake Flight 4 (Beta) installed on an 8GB Partition and 30 GB for OS X. I didn't have to reformat my hard drive. I just partitioned it and it changed the sizes and all my data is safe too!

2. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

I had a copy of Yellow Dog running on a 5GB partition, but eventually I needed the space.

I may put it back on at some point.

Didn't really need it, but having it was fun and I learned a bit about Linux.

3. Amuraivel macrumors member

I did try a dual boot with Yello Dog....but then I asked myself why am I putting
    Linux on a Mac?

Someone said around here that he installs Linux every upgrade cycle, and then ditches it. This has been the same cycle I go through.

Linux has alot to offer in the way of customization, tools, etc. But the whole Linux mess needs to be consolidated; I tried playing a DVD und Ubuntu--it didn't work, so I had to compile the tools from source, got all the libs, but was missing some arcane library.

Doing easy things is hard, or more of a chore under Linux than it should be.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

i used to have a dualboot os x/gentoo linux iBook, but things took too long to compile.

and some day, i'm gonna back up everything on my mini and see if i can tripleboot xp, linux and os x.

but for now, i like having my own separate linux box (the pc)

5. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

thought about it..

I've thought about installing it but never did, I like the fact that my mac just works, no issues and that is why I left my PC in the dust. :p

Cheers,

lieb39

6. mandoman macrumors 6502

mandoman

There really isn't much point since OSX is already running
    unix under the hood. fink.sourceforge.net already brings
    much of the same unix/linux software to OSX. Source
    code is available for anything else linux not available through fink
    and the truely motivated can get just about any program that compiles
    on linux to compile under OSX.