Are you ever embarrased?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stinkythe1, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Stinkythe1 macrumors regular

Mar 30, 2005
    Of looking like some elitest jerk while using a powerbook or ibook in public? Thats the reputation that most apple users get from everyone else. Does this ever concern anyone?
  2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Nope, I'm careful where the PowerBook gets used in public, because it's a short walk to a hard mugging in some of the places I go to, but generally the reaction is very good.

People love the styling, and even the PC die-hards who scoff at the performance are impressed by what it can do.

There's nothing elitist about liking style and functionality.... if you can afford it obviously. ;)
  3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

Yeah, when I open my 15" at a coffee shop everyone seems to stare...some people ask how I could afford it...I politely tell them it's the ONLY expensive thing I own...
  4. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

Jul 11, 2003
    NYC, or thereabouts
    You know, I had never really thought about this or even heard about this perception of Mac users. It's always been my impression that Mac users were, if anything, more pleasant and open than snobbish or elitist. But, of course, perception isn't necessarily reality.

I've never gotten any negative feedback, but then 'elitist jerk' is de rigueur for NYC. :cool: ;)

Actually, the introduction of the iPod gave rise to a documented oddity on the NYC subway: people with iPods would offer other, unknown iPod users to unplug their headphones and swap a listen for a bit. They call NYC the city that never sleeps, but it's really the city that never talks to strangers. So this iPod phenomenon was quite unusual.
  5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Even after being a Mac user for several years, I always thought it so snooty to use a computer in public because it was usually done by people who merely wanted to be seen using a computer in public to show wealth.

When I was on my recent road trip from Floriduh to California, I found it convenient to use my PowerBook in public near certain Apple Stores. I wasn't embarrassed but I wasn't overly proud, either. It was a matter of getting some things done. I've also used it in public during my h.s. sports photoshoots. I was always aware of my surroundings, though, as the look of the machine would seem to invite theft.
  6. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    In my local coffee shop my 12" iBook has only had reaction from cooing teenage girls who want to know all about it, I've even got one of the staff wanting to buy it just 'cause it's cool looking even though the're more P'Books regularly in use their. As far as embarrassed goes it can't compare with the fact that I'm friends with the guy who owns it and he always (light-heartedly) introduces me as the richest person he knows and richer the QE2! I've still had more action from the girls spotting the iBook mind. The last time I had it was when I was taking it in for repair because it's at present fubar and that's the time the girl offered to buy it!
  7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    This has to be one of the strangest thread topics in awhile.

First, I wouldn't have bought the thing if I couldn't use wherever I needed it, and second, I'm not responsible for other people's weird attitudes.

Does anyone really feel that much differently? :confused:

I mean, people are driving all over the place in $40,000 cars. Do they worry about being conspicuous?
  8. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I think the people in $40,000 cars love being conspicuous.
  9. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    I agree.

As for myself? Not really "embarassed". But I am aware that sometimes people will look/stare. But nothing really negative. The only thing I'm worried about is breaking it. Not because it's fragile in any way, but because I really miss it when it's gone, so I don't want to harm it. But hey, that's what cases are for, right?
  10. iBlue macrumors Core

Mar 17, 2005
    London, England
    I don't use it very much in public, and when I do there is probably a good reason/necessity. The reaction is a cross between confused, awestruck and or jealousy :D Either way it seems to demand attention - which is the main reason I dislike using it in public; I am not too fond of calling attention to myself. [especially] considering it's an almost $3000 attention getter that contains priceless and precious pieces of me, and I really don't care to lose all that. (the thought is too awful to bear) Something happens to my Powebook and you will find me quite a wreck.

anyway, people seem to love powerbooks, and rightfully so ;)
  11. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    When I got my 500Mhz iBook I used to take it EVERYWHERE. I used it on the train, the subway, the bus, planes. I mean, the train ride from Toyota city into town was over 45 minutes. 45 minutes on a train with benches facing each other. What would you do for that long? Pop out the iBook and play some MAME, keep a journal, watch a movie (another guy with an iBook used to do that) listen to music. And this was with OS 9...

It was a cheap iBook, I didn't really worry too much about dropping it (which I did, and it was still okay) or people stealing it. I did get a lot of looks, but the Japanese won't come up and start talking to you, so I just minded my business.

I don't act snooty- on the contrary; I get snooty attitudes from pc people. I posted some threads a few years back about getting dirty looks from pc users on the train more than a few times. The Toyoya or Mitsubishi guys with their 'serious' ThinkPads or gigantic HPs staring at my little white iBook. It was pretty funny :p

If someone starts asking me questions, I'm more than happy to answer them. How do I do WiFi? How much are these? Etc, etc. Most people are really happy if you can answer a few of their questions.
  12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    I don't. Case in point, we own two cars. My wife's car cost $40,000. The model is so common, nobody notices it, which is perfectly okay with her. The other is my $18,000 car -- and hardly a week goes by when somebody doesn't stop me in a parking lot and ask me about where it got it, how I like it, etc. I've even had people roll down windows at traffic lights and shout questions at me, and leave notes on the windshield. Price ain't got nothing to do with what people notice.

Also, I have never had anyone sneer at me for using a PowerBook in public, and even if they did, it would be their problem not mine. Time to get our heads straight about this stuff, folks.
  13. ksz macrumors 68000

Oct 28, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    We regularly have "laptop-laden" meetings. This is where you have a bunch of people in a large conference room and an equal number of laptops in front of each pair of eyes. It looks like a laptop festival if you were a casual observer. Into this ocean teaming with gray Dells (yup, our standard issue corporate laptops are all Dell Latitudes), I proudly inject my PowerBook and it is seen as a welcome departure from conformity. Embarrased? Hardly. :)

(But I do get the usual witless comments like, "I think we're paying him too much!")
  14. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    so we are an ellitest jerk for useing a well designed laptop :rolleyes:, i used to get a bit of stick from people at school but not any more now that the rap has been taken off me with my 600MHz g3 ibook and onto some twat who carrys around a A64 17" brick just for note takeing
  15. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Hell no! I'm not embarrassed. The last time I took my iBook to a coffee shop, The guy next next to me asked me if it was my first Apple. I said it was my third. Then he asked to see it because he said he hadn't used one since the 80's. Of course, I obliged. After a few minutes playing around, he said he was switching back to an Apple. The same thing happened to me on a bus. The girl next to me asked me where I got my iBook. I told her and she asked me a few more questions about it. She then said she was going to get one that day after work. Take your laptops everywhere! :)
  16. JeffTL macrumors 6502a

Dec 18, 2003
    How could anyone be embarassed in that way about an iBook?

They're the cheapest you can go and still have something respectable.
  17. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

Jun 22, 2004
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    sometimes in between classes at school, i'll go to the local starbucks and sip on some coffee, take out my powerbook and either start typing a project i need to do, or just surf the internet. Its always cool to see another apple user working hard on a powerbook or ibook... i always seem to start up some kind of conversation with these people... "how long have you had your powerbook... what do you do with it...." etc etc.

So am I ever embarrased? nope.
  18. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    it's all perception

it's funny how a 999 dollar ibook could be perceived as too expensive, but that's because dell has 700 dollar laptops

back when the pc laptops averaged 2000 dollars a piece, the slightly more expensive powerbook at 2500 dollars somehow was considered too expensive

if ibooks get down to 750 dollars, then they will be considered too expensive because mr. dell will have 500 dollar laptops out there

can we ever win?
  19. Yebot macrumors 6502

Jan 6, 2004
    One phrase I tend to use over and and over is that Mac-users like to ...

"...compute in style."

Who cares what anyone else thinks.
  20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Apparently not, even in our own minds. I'm surprised by the number of Mac owners who've convinced themselves to feel guilty.
  21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    With respect, but I see this as the wrong question. It seems narcissistic and "image is everything" based in its thinking. Are you "proud" (in a good sense) of WHAT YOU CRANK OUT with your Mac? Whether it's at a Starbucks, classroom, conference setting, office, or your own home, it's rather gratifying when people come up and ask, "how did you do that.....?" or "could I get a copy of your presentation? That was way kewl." It's not about what your computer looks like (public or private), it's about what you produce with it.

Admittedly, I try not to be evangelistic about my Mac use surrounded by Dell-ards, but if someone does persist with projecting an elistist image on my forehead, I just say, "hey, if it's good enough for Steve Spielberg, it's good enough for me". :p
  22. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Since I've never considered myself an elitist jerk for having a Powerbook, I've never been embarrassed when I've had it out either.

Then again, if it's out with me, it's usually because I want to get something done and I'm more concerned about doing that task than what anyone else is doing/saying/pointing at round about me.
  23. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I dont think of myself as an elitest jerk, but when Im out at a coffe shop with my PB and see other PC users, I do tend to think I have the a better computer. ;)
  24. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    At several points in my career, I've decided *not* to buy cars in that price range, when I could easily afford them, because of perception. When I was in Detroit, I didn't want to drive to volunteer at a counseling center for homeless individuals in a Jaguar, although I really wanted one, because Jaguar had just become part of the Ford family, and so had I. I appreciated them, not because they were an opportunity to stunt in, but because I liked the design and beauty of the S-Type at that time....

I didn't choose against it because I was scared of it getting keyed or broken into or stolen, either. I just didn't want to make myself appear so distant (by way of income) to the people I was trying to help.

As far as my computer, my iBook is not so expensive compared to Windows notebooks, but it does get a lot more attention than them. Sometimes I like it, sometimes, I'd prefer if people mind their business. I really appreciate's just that some people cannot deliver them in a way that prevents you from being embarrassed or unduly brought to the center of attention in a larger group. :(

But I use my iBook wherever I want to anyway.

I guess that kind of neurosis is why I make a good psychologist, though! :D
  25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    I sometimes like the looks but other times, its freaky...PEOPLE STOP LOOKING AT ME!!!!
    I'm fortunate to have a nice car for my age, and sometimes i feel embarrassed because most people my age don't drive the car i drive.