Are you getting all of your e-mail?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bousozoku, Mar 14, 2006.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I couldn't get to my Google mail e-mail through the POP3 server today so I went to their webmail interface and I was shocked.

I found several important e-mails in the spam folder. I'd been wondering but I'd forgotten that Google saves everything. It amazes me that junk makes it through and yet, something important to me--like jobs--gets re-directed.

Are you sure you're getting everything?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

3. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Wow I really should delete my spam, its amazing how much I get in 30 days. And yeah, all spam, i checked every one

Attached Files:

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have actually never thought of that. I checked it today and had 2 from Hewlett-Packard both sent this month. So I am going to start checking that more often. Thanks for the heads up.

5. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

I wish I only had two a month, but last year me and a friend started mailbombing eachother with those free ipod scams and anything free scams like online dating and stuff, its still really annoying, but gmail catches all of the spam

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I had to turn off my ISP-side filtering for this very reason. I like Mail's inbuilt filter because it makes new Junk messages obvious. :)

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Only 4 messages gone into the spam filter, and without opening them, it seem very rightfully so... ;)

Attached Files:

8. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I'm lucky to only get about 4-5 spam emails a day, and so far nothing has come up as a false positive. I'll keep on the lookout, though.

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Thanks for the spam heads up.

I actually had 3, and they were Apple eNews, Apple Reminder: iPod warranty is expiring, and Apple New Music Tuesday (I just changed my email address to this one, and missed these three).

GMail once put a very important email of mine in the spam folder, but before I used POP, so it was ok.

10. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm 100% certain that I'm not getting all my email, both at work and at home. Our city's ISP, terribly unreliable at the best of times, has had its mail servers in-and-out (mainly out) of action for the past few weeks. The whole population is spitting blood about it. The situation has improved slightly over the past week, but there are still emails taking three or so days to come through, and there are some that I've sent people (or are waiting for myself and know have been sent) that have disappeared off into cyberspace.

Bloody muppets. :mad:

11. DCapple macrumors regular

DCapple

Actually im having similar problem with my yahoo account and the worst scenario with it is that it erases all my previous emails....whats wrong with the emails this day?!?!? :confused:

can anyone explain what is happening...:eek:

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I couldn't POP gmail yesterday either, very annoying.

I usually get one false positive spam message every two weeks so it isn't a problem for me.

My biggest email problem is that whenever I reply to an email in Mac Mail it somehow fails to get saved. I don't get any warnings or errors, just if I go back later and click the curved arrow that says I replied it tells me that the message is missing:mad: .

13. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

I'm getting almost of my mail both with gmail (which I admittedly don't use very much) and my fastmail account. I check the spam/junk folder regularly, and pretty much all of the legimate e-mails that end there are from various online stores that send product news.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what i find to be terribly annoying is that i'll get some junk mail and in mail.app it won't show up as junk. so i click "junk" and then figure next time it will show up as junk. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. but what's even worse is when i get a false positive... something "good" shows up as junk. i tell it "it's not junk, biatch!" and for a while they come through properly... then in a few weeks, they go back to being "junk"... dumb

15. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

It's odd what the spam filter attacks, but it seems that most filters used in the U.S.A. tend to treat Chinese, Japanese, and Korean e-mail as spam. I get some of each, but I noticed that such languages in the subject were thrown out immediately. Others seemed to make it through just by having the Roman alphabet in the subject, spam or not.

16. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Amazingly I get absolutely no spam on my gmail account. I use a custom Google homepage to show my email, but the recent messages feature was down for a couple hours today. That was frustrating, because I missed an important email. Oh well.