Are you going to give Zune a chance?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by EricBrian, Oct 1, 2006.

1. EricBrian macrumors 6502a

EricBrian

Well, are you?

I want to when it works with my MBP.

2. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I don't see the wi-fi taking off unless a LOT of people get Zunes, in which it would be a cool feature to have.

Otherwise, there's nothing that the Zune has that strikes me as a reason to choose it over the iPod, let alone purchase one WHILE ALREADY owning an iPod.

3. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

I gave it a chance.

Then I saw a picture of it.

:p

4. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

Giving the Zune a chance would be buying the Zune, given that it's competitive against the iPod. As it looks, "giving Zune a chance" looks more like "deliberately getting the worse product just because it's not an iPod." If it were a better player, though, I wouldn't mind. I have nothing against Microsoft, it's just I think they don't have a good product this time. (Unless if the wi-fi catches on. Which it might, and then I'll buy one.)

5. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

OK, fine, I am an Apple zealot, but the only possible benefit I can see to the Zune is that it might push Apple to innovate faster. I can't honestly see the Zune succeeding in its current form, but if MS is willing to lose enough money they can probably build a decent market share.

I'm all for a good clean fight if it helps get cool products to market.

Of course, MS will throw in the towel in if it looks hopeless. I'm just enough of a zealot to be ready to cheer when that happens.

6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm certainly eager to play with one and see how it stacks up.

Of course, if all this stuff about buying songs with "Microsoft Points" instead of "money" is true, I think I'll be sticking with my iPod ...

7. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

Never! Since the Zune doesn't work with my iBook.

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

i dont use a mp3 player that instruction booklet is thicker than the player itself... :p :p

9. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I just use my iPod for podcasts, vidcasts, anime and movies. My iPod 5G takes care of those tasks with ease, I see no need for a Zune. My iPod looks LOADS better than that zune, brown... My iPod integrates seemlessly with my Mac, I don't have a windows box anymore so a zune would be useless anyway.

10. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

Nope. :)

11. MattyMac macrumors 68000

MattyMac

12. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

We already have three iPods. I have a 2GB nano, which is fine for me. Spouse unit has a 3 YO 40GB that works as good as day one. But, she stresses taking it camping, gardening, biking, etc. So, I just bought her the new top of the line (80, I think). So, it is unlikely we will be looking for a replacement soon.

With that being said, if I was shopping for one, I would not consider Zune. As an IT manager, I have to deal with the aftermath of creating the monolithic MS and their software license gouging. I am certainly not going to do anything to encourage the continuance of this. MS needs to be taken down a notch. We are all paying for a company bloated by middle management and administrative costs.

13. worldaviator macrumors newbie

Nope

Bought too much video content and not willing to lose those. But I agree, hopefully Apple will embrace this opportunity to innovate even more than they are doing today!

WA

14. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

No, not really. I haven't even bought an iPod yet though...but I'm Apple through and through.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I can see it now. a Zune ad featuring the voice of John Lennon. "All we are saaaayiiiing is give ...ZUNE... a chaaaance." :p

I give the Zune a chance, but more of a chance of displacing all the rest of the "plays for sure" gang of players than the iPod. This may change over time as other parts of the chain are added, but right now they don't have anything in the Zune brand that competes against the most popular iPod nano and shuffle.

The UMPC formerly known as Origami came out earlier in the year with much fanfare, but I haven't heard anything positive or negative about them in months. That said, Microsoft occasionally gets it right or at least right enough. They managed to displace Palm in the PDA/smartphone market (largely due to Palm's incompetence) After many lousy iterations of Windows CE (I own one of the first generation of H/PCs running CE 1.0), ther recent versions of Pocket Windows are actually (mostly) usable.

Unless Microsoft really has a major rabbit in their hat, I only give Zune the same chance as a snowball in hell.

Boot Camp XP or Vista on it and it'll support your MBP whenever it finally shows up in stores.

B

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes. If it can synch with iTunes (via a third-party "hack" if necessary), then I'll be prepared to try one.

It'll probably be cheaper than an iPod, and is probably more likely to have an NZ music shop. I ordered one of the new iPods back when they were announced, so it'll be a while before I'm in the market for a new player though.

17. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Haven't they confirmed that the Zune will be $US0.99 more expensive than the iPod, and that M$ won't be earning profits from them?

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In the US, yes.

19. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

so if its a dollars difference in the USA, that would mean the prices would be similar elsewhere. So i doubt the Zune will be much cheaper, if cheaper than the iPod at all.

By the way, do they still not have a NZ iTunes Store? Sucks hard if they don't...

20. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Well I'm not expecting Microsoft to put the "Apple markup" on the Zune.

Nope. The framework's been there for a year or so, but no content.

21. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

I'll be happy to give it a chance when it becomes something other than a me-too, iPod knock-off. Because right now, I don't see any value in it, it doesn't offer anything feature-wise that's a must have, unlike iPod/iTunes it isn't Mac compatible, I'm not really into buying "Zune dollars" or any other token-based purchasing system where you pay cash to MS first, then spend your "Zune" money later on songs, I don't see any need to replace my existing song library and repurchase "Zune" songs that use MS's version of DRM (which I haven't heard as of yet what the usage rights are [edit] and is likely to be locked in tight to MS Windows OS), I not into renting my music - especially at prices that are far and away more expensive then other subscription-based outfits, the wireless function seems silly in that it's a battery waster when the other Zune player is probably within easy reach of a standard USB cable (if that conserves battery) and the wireless sharing rights are far too restrictive for real world music sharing, and...

on and on and on.

At this time, I just don't see any reason for Zune, let alone a need for one.

22. dernhelm macrumors 68000

dernhelm

It won't work on my OSs of choice, so no. If they ever release OS/X or Linux compatibiltiy I'll think about it.

<feignedShock>How could anyone consider even buying such a closed device in the first place? Microsoft should be sued into opening it up!</feignedShock>

:p

23. asxtb macrumors 6502

Maybe when they offer a Nano size version with 8 or 10 GB that works with an iBook. And then, only maybe...

24. NextTuesday macrumors member

I might with Bootcamp/Parralells on my MacBook. I think they look alright, I can see me and a few mates copying songs over via WiFi at lunch in school, because normally a friend would come in with his iPod and ask me to check a song out, now he could just send me it rather than us all playing the song from his iPod. I doubt it'll replace my 60GB Black though...

25. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Probably not but I would consider using the new Archos player with the 4" screen which is Mac compatible - and which you can buy an optional dock with which will record TV/video directly to the player.