Are you going to queue for the London Apple store opening ?

Discussion in 'Community' started by purplealien, Aug 22, 2004.

1. purplealien macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone else is mad enough to consider queuing up for the opening of the new London Apple store. Will it be the same as the openings in other countries ? Will anyone be camping out on the pavement overnight :)

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I think the weather might influence a lot of people on this one - given some of the thunderstorms we've had lately the night before and people might give up. You'll also be fighting the regular homeless guys along Regent St for the shopdoor!

I'll be there - how early might depend on whether it's worth going home after Friday night ;) Bars shut at 3 and the Starbucks round the corner doesn't open again til 7...hmmmm

3. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I'm not obsessed enough to sleep outside but I'll probably swing by there a few days after it opens. What timeframe are they looking to open for? I heard around Christmas.

4. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

November 20 seems to be the expected date.

http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?NewsID=9444

I expect I may drop by soon after opening; queueing ain't my thing though.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm sure the Apple hardcore will be there, but I shan't be, I'll wait for the rush to fade and have a mosey over there later in the week. It's not like we haven't seen eveything Apple have to offer, and I have everything they put in the goodie-bags anyway...

Now, if they were announcing the first public appearence of a G5 PowerBook, it'd be "last man standing" at the head of that queue, and many a geek would know the gutters of London intimately... ;) :D

There was some talk of a London Geekfest happening (iGav, you listening?) and I expect there will be a MacRumors UK posse presence there at some point.

6. iGav macrumors G3

That's what I'm thinking... I remember the que for the OS X launch at Micro Anvika on Tottenham Court Road back in '01 when they opened at midnight then... I can't imagine hanging out all night, especially in November just to be first in line... :p

For those that want to avoid the bustle of the opening, maybe arrange an evening after work to meet up and have a looksey!! then afterwards frequent one of Soho's finest... :D bar's that is ;) to catch up over a beverage of choice???

7. purplealien thread starter macrumors newbie

I was hoping that they (Apple) might push the boat out and offer us goodie bags or something. I missed out on the Dog tags and Mouse mats for Panther release :D

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd line up if I were in London. :( I'd get the Arc'Teryx Alpha SV jacket from the closet for the night in case it rains, and a jumper of some sort. I'd probably bring a pair of Gore-Tex pants as well, in case I'm sitting on the floor in the rain. Its funny, though, that with so many people lining up in front of an Apple Store, how would you get bored with a Powerbook and iPod? Maybe they'd have wireless in there that you could mooch off from outside! :)

9. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I am very excited about this :p Why? Is it because I'm a really sad Mac Geek?? Or because:

Saturday 20th November is my 18th Birthday!!

I really want to be one of the first lot, so I can pay for one of those surprise bag things! I'd like to be first in the queue :p But I doubt my parents will let me, as I'll only be 17 on Friday night :D :D

So, if anyone is camping out... buy one of those goody bags for me! Either that... or a pint ;)

10. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

DOH!!

thats the day I get married!!

I was actually planning on camping outside that night. Doesn't look like thats gonna happen any more

...anybody fancy picking me up a wedding present while they're there??

;)

Worth a try

MrJ

11. JLS macrumors 6502

Can you get the HE discounts actually in the store or is that online only?

12. satty macrumors 6502

Damn

I have tickets for the All Blacks test against Wales on 20th, my brother and some friends are coming for a visit to celebrate my birthday (22nd).

So I have to miss that one :(

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But think about it --- that would be one memorable honeymoon spot! :p

"We had our honeymoon riiiight there"

*points at curb*

But I guess an Apple Store opening isn't that important. Just wait a week for the queues to clear.

14. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Well I hope to drop into the London store between Christmas and New Year 04...wonder if they will have sales like the rest of London?