Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you happy with your Macbook Air 11"?

• Yes

Votes: 106 91.4%
  • No, I wish I didn't get it.

Votes: 10 8.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mds

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2006
The 11inch is great. It is so light and small I take it everywhere. I travel a LOT (touring musician) and having this little guy with me is great. There are some times when a bigger screen would be nice, but 90% of the time the 11 inch is totally fine.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I love it. Sold my iPad 2 to buy it. I do have some complaints, however. Vertical resolution is sort of annoying, but not a huge deal. Keyboard is also kind of weird. And the battery life isn't very good (though easily double my last laptop). I also wish the screen could tilt back a tad more.

I always carry it around with me when I have my backpack. Barely notice it.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD
Yes, it's as satisfying as a hair transplant

Hmm, dunno about that, but I really do like my 11" with thunderbolt display.
The display at the office saves my life when working with multiple large excel files, the 11" is all I need when I'm on the road. Battery time isn't that bad for me, and I have a car charger as well, so I could recharge it in between clients if I ever needed to do so.

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
I love my 11" i7.

The only things I'd change (if I could - which I can't) would be much better battery life, real video, and 3G. Maybe a better quality screen too. Hey if I'm going to dream, I may as well dream BIG.

As it is though, it's my favourite notebook ever. With the changes above it would be my favourite machine ever.

Quackington

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
England, UK
I was seriously considering a Macbook Pro, but ended up getting the 11" MBA this year to replace my on-its-last-legs 12" PowerBook.

I was a bit apprehensive about getting a laptop without a disc drive, but I don't regret it for a moment!

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
In the middle

Not 100% happy but definitely not regretting the purchase. Like most people have already said it's the best laptop i've ever owned (had a 15 MBP before). This is faster, runs cooler, and is so much lighter, and the high res screen + full screen apps negate any cons of the size of the screen.

Only main issue is graphics performance. When streaming a film the frame rate drops so low I can't watch the movie anymore and the computer gets insanely hot.

That and the mediocre battery are my only complaints.

Is anyone else having the same graphics issue?

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
Not 100% happy but definitely not regretting the purchase. Like most people have already said it's the best laptop i've ever owned (had a 15 MBP before). This is faster, runs cooler, and is so much lighter, and the high res screen + full screen apps negate any cons of the size of the screen.

Only main issue is graphics performance. When streaming a film the frame rate drops so low I can't watch the movie anymore and the computer gets insanely hot.

That and the mediocre battery are my only complaints.

Is anyone else having the same graphics issue?

I've never watched a movie on it but I've watched 1080p Youtube videos that are like an hour long and I didn't notice any heat or lags or anything.

Retops

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2008
Oklahoma
Through the years I've searched for a capable small machine that would not weigh me down as I moved from job location to location. I had the Toshiba Libretto, the smallest Sony, and the original MBA as well as a Lenovo netbook. Only the original MBA met my needs.

I grabbed an 11 inch MBA the first day they were sold and I have never looked back. It disappears in my briefcase, handles my work requirements perfectly, can be hooked to an external display or to a projector, and goes everywhere I go. Perfect for me.

What could make it better? Well, I'd love to move my unlimited data plan from my Ipad to an 11 inch laptop. An MBA with built in cellular wireless would be my ideal.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I couldn't like it more...it's perfect, super small form factor, it replaced a 15" MBP, which I don't miss in the slightest. I greatly prefer the Air+Display or Air+Desktop(in my case a Mac mini), it does a better job of having speed when I need it and portability when I need that. Plus more pixels to work with.

jacob.schmidt

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2011
Going to buy the low end 13" MacBook air this week! I'm was torn between the MPB and MBA 13", but gonna pick the air.. The 13" Pro is way too outdated, and Air is just a smooth operator! :D

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I've got the 11" i7 Air, my wife has the 13" i7 Air. Whenever I use hers, I find it too big and not portable enough.

For me, the 11" is the ultimate in portability, but it's not my only machine (see sig). My wife, on the other hand, uses her Air as her only machine, so I think she appreciates the 1440x900 13" screen.

mcagayat

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2010
I am amazed everytime I take it out of its sleeve! Its probably because this is my first mac, but still! I'm one of those people that wish I bought into apple sooner! I could've used this in university!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

TheJing

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Somewhere in Europe
I am amazed everytime I take it out of its sleeve! Its probably because this is my first mac, but still! I'm one of those people that wish I bought into apple sooner! I could've used this in university!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk

Yea I understand what you're saying. I wish I bought Apple sooner too.

I used to buy Sony laptops that cost like 1500 bucks anyway.

slpslee

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2011
I love my 11" MBA so much, I'm seriously thinking of getting one of the new Thunderbolt displays so I can plug it in at home and then giving my grandchildren my 27" iMac. I store all my files and libraries externally, so, really, the 256GB SSD drive is more than ample for system files. I have a great 15" i7 MBP, but it just seems big and clunky to me now. I liked the 13" Air; it just wasn't different enough from what I already owned. At first I wasn't really keen on Lion, but I'm getting used to it now.

French River

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2011
Minnesota, USA
After using my 2011 ultimate 11" MBA for a few days, I thought, "Finally--this is what a notebook computer should be."

I started way back with a Bondi Blue iMac; moved to a 17" MBP; downsized to a 15" MBP; then on to a 13" MacBook, then to the 2010 13" MBA; and now this.

I think I finally got it right. The screen real estate occassionally feels a bit cramped, and who doesn't wish for more battery life, but the light weight and trim dimensions of the 11" MBA easily outweigh all downsides for me.

This is my only computer. I hook it up to a Cinema Display while at home, but use it on the road 40 to 50 percent of the time. The most challenging task I've encountered is publishing layout using InDesign CS5 on the 11" screen. But it's actually doable, much to my surprise.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm happy with it. not 100% OMG WOW THIS IS AWESOMESAUCE happy, but definitely don't regret my decision

Let me I guess Predicate by saying, I would not have bought a Mac in the first place if i didnt have 1/2 the thing paid for by Gift Card. That weighs heavily on my decision. I was only out of pocket for $300.

That said. This is the best physical hardware I have ever had. Ever. I've gone through about 10 laptops (or more) over the course of the last 15 years. some excellent machines, some not so excellent machines. This by far has been the best built, and the nicest looking machine I have ever owned.

My only Caveats: OSx. It's beautiful and amazing to navigate. But i still feel like i'm in a closed playground and can only use the toys Apple wants me to. For the most part I haven't ran into anything i can't do, But OSx feels like 1/2 an OS to me. I can't really explain it better than that.

I kind of wish I went 13". and 4gb ram and perhaps 128gb hard drive. Nothing wrong with the 64gb version. it runs OSx flawlessly. No slowdowns ever, and I don't keep media on the machine so 64gb is enough. I just wish I had more. after 2 Months of use, I'm missing windows. but to dualboot OSx and Windows, 64gb isn't enough. I might blow away OSx and go only windows (if i can figure out how)

Lack of USB3 support doesn't bother me. But lack of any real consumer level TB devices (besides apple display) bothers me. Right now i have a wasted port on my device. I only use it for video dongle once in a blue moon. Apple really REALLY needs to push Thunderbolt device expansion or else a lot of Apple users are going to start questioning this port. I was fully expecting to see doc expandibility come out, similar to what Sony has one with Lightpeak allowing for better external graphic and other performance features for docking at home.

So, am I happy with it? Yes. I love it. But if i didnt have the gift card, I'd have waited for one fo the other Ultra books to come out instead

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.