Are you happy to see me or is that a radio chip in your passport?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iGary, Oct 26, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

:rolleyes:

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I thought most Americans didn't have a passport?

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Aww, man! 2006?
    I wanted to get an RFID'd passport for Vienna! :(

Seems just like a quicker way of doing stuff.

It's not like RFID has a broadcast range of 100s of feet and people carry their passports EVERYWHERE with them. I know my dad has one and it's in his sock drawer 99.999% of the year, except for the odd time he gets it out every few years to reminisce on his neurobiology conference in Jamaica from 1989.

If other people treat their Passports like this, I don't see the deal. Make a special aluminum baggie or something to prevent the signal from getting very far if you're that paranoid.

4. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

So much easier for "them" to track wherever one travels to. Will it help prevent/find a lost child? More than likely this radio system will be used to track how many times one crosses boarders, takes the airplane, frequents certain airports, etc.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I see a good business opportunity: miniature Faraday cages.

6. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

I think I m accidently gonna "lose" mine before these "new" ones come out...

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm due for a new one in 2012. maybe by then they'll have changed their minds.

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Another "e pluribus unum" of the U.S. State Department's lousy ideas. I saw this last night on the 'digg" site and almost posted it. So, I neither like where it comes from nor where it's headed.

9. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

The article goes on to say that 98.5% of the people they polled (like 2,000 people) said they don't want it. So they do it anyway. :rolleyes:

New Zealand or Canada? I can't decide, but I think I'm outta here.

10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

Of course this is unlikely to stop those they REALLY need to be tracking and stopping from crossing the border - particularly politicians :)

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

By 2012 they'll have them implanted in our brains. That'll change our minds.

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Seems you'll need a passport to leave the country in any direction soon.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

I wonder what happens if you remove or disable the chip on your passport. I'm thinking that's an option.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm sure it'll be quite illegal. but what if you just keep it in your back pocket and do a lot of sitting? and swimming, say.

14. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I don't give a ****. LOL.

Honestly, I am all for personal privacy and civil liberties, but there is nothing wrong with putting something electronic into a passport as an extra security device. It's not like it has a tracking chip. Then I'd object.

Pick your battles. This isn't worth it.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

one of the issues is that RFID chips can be read from a much greater distance than the manufacturers let on. there was an article on /. (iirc) where someone demonstrated being able to read data from 100 feet away.

so the issue is that your biometric/medical/financial/whatever data can be stolen in a new way.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

in fact the problem with the US rules is that the data is not encrypted _at all_ while with the new EU biometric passports it is.. i still have no idea how this slipped through without any real media attention

that aside: the german c't were able to produce a scanner which reads them from i think 50-70 feet away with parts from a simply electronic stores and the device could easily fit into a small suitcase :rolleyes:
    with special equipment it is possible to read the data out on distances up to 300 feet .. suddenly new possibilities for "wardriving" emerge

17. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That might wrinkle the pages. Then you would need a hammer to flatten them out again. :D

Lethal

19. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

I am still a US citizen, even though I live in Mexico. My passport expires in 2010. The good I see in this, if someone stold your passport and tried to use it. The passport gets scanned and they get nailed. Or maybe the cops could turn on a wireless scanner and track them (or you) down? :eek:

Eat and drink today, for tomorrow we maybe gone! ;)

20. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It would be useful on those occasions when you need to get to the airport and can't recall which drawer you left it in? :rolleyes:

Welcome to the brave new world, I guess... :(

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Actually don't even really need to go through all the trouble. On a project at work some of my co-workers spent some time building a Faraday cage, only to find out that the static bags that most computer hardware comes in did a better job of shielding than their "cage". All you need to do is find a place to buy static bags fairly cheap and advertise them as a secure storage for your passport.

22. tristan macrumors 6502a

Does RFID include smartcard technology? Smartcards can't be copied. I worked on a project in Europe in which they were using contactless paper smartcards. That's some cool technology. You put it in a magnetic field and it comes to life and works like a smartcard. They're dirt cheap too - less than $1. Not sure if RFID is related.

23. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I did not realize they could do things remotely. That's unnerving.

24. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Sometimes though, mother in laws can't travel with you.

25. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

This reminds me of an article I read on boingboing a few months ago:

hmmm…

There is a site listing all the potential dangers of RFID Passports. It looks a little out of date though. The word "evil" seems to be repeated too often of the site so I'm not sure it's reliable.:
    http://www.rfidkills.com/