Are you healthy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cslewis, Mar 26, 2006.

1. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    Everyone has different ideas about what's healthy and what's not. In addition, people usually have a good idea about the state of their own health. I realize that there are bound to be all shapes and sizes of folks on MR- from 'slim', to 'athletic', to 'more to love'. That's why I was curious: do people here consider themselves physically fit?

Personally, I'm doing a lot better than I have in the past. I’ve never been a very athletic person. However, I recently made drastic changes in my diet and exercise routines… in fact, I’ve lost almost 10 pounds of flag. I'm even training in hopes of joining my school's cross country team next year. :D

So what about you guys? Do you eat right? Do you exercise? Are you a smoker? A heavy drinker? A couch potato?
  2. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I'm hormonally deficient, I'm eating whatever leftovers I can find in my house since I'm incredibly strapped for ca$h for the next couple weeks, I'm going through a pretty bad social anxiety phase right now so exersice is limited since I often don't want to leave the house except to work and back. On the other hand I'm not over or underweight despite the thought that I had a weight problem awhile back even though I was on the low side for someone of my height and stature, I don't snoke or drink (unless at parties and bars which are limited due to the anxiety problem) so in general I'd say I'm so-so.

Its hard to get yourself to a healthy state when you have a body you hate so much.
  3. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I need to lose 40 pounds, but athletically I am very fit. I do about 6 marathons a year, despite my weight.

I just eat badly, which need to change soon.
  4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    I'm 29 and skinny as all get out. I do not eat right, I do not exercise, and I probably drink "too much" (for my "health," not my aesthetics).

That said, yes. I've been very healthy these first 29 years.

Except right now. Because the high school punks have given me some sort of infernal bacteria. Which has me coughing so much that my esophagus keeps seizing up.

It's miserable and I'm miserable and Robutussin isn't getting it done ...

EDIT: The woman just said that if I were a dog, I'd have kennel cough. This is not encouraging ...
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I am within my target BMI, but I dont have a lot of muscle on me. I eat poorly, but I exercise regularly.
  6. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

Jun 30, 2005
    Well, I don't eat right ALL the time, but honestly, who does? Other than that, I think I'm healthy. I'm the average weight for my age group and exercise about 3 days a week for a few hours.
  7. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I just found out I have a gall stone :(

I would say I'm very unfit. I need to lose weight, excersize more, eat better, build more muscle.
  8. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I'm a mushy slob. I eat way too richly and way too much. I don't exercise.

:( I used to be incredibly fit. Used to run 5-6 miles every other day and lift weights on the days inbetween in addition to being on the wrestling team. Then I quit the team and lost the motivation to stay fit.

Was on the crew team my first year of college but... I left that school so I haven't done crapola since (not that as a coxswain I really worked out physically all that much anyway :eek:).
  9. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm pretty healthy. Eat fairly healthfully. Exercise often enough I think. Right BMI for my range (yes, on a chart adjusted for age). So yeah, I'm fine, fairly healthy. Although I'm not some type of super athlete or anything. :)
  10. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002

I balance every meal with carbs, protein and vegetables.

I don't drink soda or any kind of alcohol.

I work out some every day, usually rock climbing 3-4 days each week, on days I'm not climbing I do 30 pushups and some ab exercises right after getting up before my shower.

Usually I walk 3-5 miles a day, and in the summer I spend a lot of time on my bike, or backpacking. My only problem is the winter, when I get out of shape because my activities are all outdoors, and I get lazy when it's cold.

I'd say I'm fit. Still really skinny though, never have put on much weight whatever I do, I'd say it's great to not ever have to worry about weight though. :D
  11. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    I was a super athlete in high school in primo shape and then I went to college and lived off little debbie snack cakes and soda and stopped working out. I haven't recovered from that 5 years later.

But the thing is, even though I am 40 pounds heavier than I was in high school, I can still run 3 miles, play with my kids until THEY get tired or play ultimate frisbee without dragging behind everyone else who is fit and trim. So no, I don't think I am really healthy but I am also not out of shape, per se.
  12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I train every couple of days for my sprinting and I tend to eat healthily. I probably drink too much coffee but I'm sprinting faster than I ever have done so I excuse that one vice. :cool:
  13. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    I drink water, I'm almost underweight, and I run 3 miles every other day.

I don't smoke, or drink (never have)

I'm 20

I eat pizza, I try to go low fat/grease, but I don't eat veggies (I hate them) and very little if any fruit.

so yes and no

by the way, I've not ever been sick. I threw up once in my life and that was it. (which was self induced due to a peanut shell I almost died from).
  14. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2005
    You've never been sick? How is that possible? Have you seen the movie Unbreakable? Could it be...?
  15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I'd say, I'm a little above average on the health scale. I try to eat healthy, but there's always candy (I'm a sugar fanatic). I don't eat any more fast food except the occasional 5 piece.

If it wasn't for my stomach problems, I'd still be eating junk food. I got a sensitive stomach, so I thought maybe I should eat better, and guess what, my body feels better and less stomach problems. Who would've thought that, I guess I was stubborn when I was younger. Smaller portions, and making sure I balance my foods, that's my diet.

I'm athletic but winter kills my motivation to exercise. I know when summer comes around I'll be back in tip top shape. Same thing every year.
  16. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

Jan 7, 2002
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    for an old geezer, i'm in excellent shape. i work out at least 3 times a week and do extra walking, running and biking with the kids.... quite frankly, my kids are my main motivation for staying fit.

i eat well and indulge in alcohol, sweets and fatty snacks in moderation. i'd love to lean out another 7 lbs but the sacrifice required is just too much. dark chocolate and mocha latte's are my jones of choice.

i start a 5 week yoga class soon, maybe that will help.

long gone are the days when i could eat anything and everything and stay magically skinny....:(
  17. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    He's a test tube super baby, deployed by the old Bush administration.
  18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004

An old geezer that's into Gorillaz (assuming that from the ava) :confused: Well I'm glad there's still some cool old people. :D
  19. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

Sep 23, 2005
    I think the BMI is full of it. I challenge anyone to come up with the logic behind its system.

I lift weights more to feel strong than to look good. If I wanted to look good I'd do something about my love handle.

As for my diet, I have my own little set of principles ever since I lived in France for a year and lost 15 lbs while eating rich foods. I don't pay attention to fat content or any of that stuff. I just try to make sure I eat a good variety of foods. The most important thing for me is limiting preservatives and processed foods. If everything is fresh, I don't care if it's pure fat, I don't consider it unhealthy. All this used to be a lot easier when I lived in Berkeley. I miss Berkeley Bowl (supermarket) so much.

As for my mental health, I finally saw a psychiatrist last week and realized I had ADD and dystamia. And, now that I know the symptoms of ADD, I know it's pretty bad. I think mental health is really important, so I'm not really up to par. I'm not a shizophrenic or anything, just really ADD and mildy depressed for no reason. These are things I'm just starting to get to work on. But I'm pretty happy with myself physically.

So hopefully I can get some drugs for the ADD and depression and I'll be all set for grad school. Hmm, maybe a bit too much info but I'm bored.
  20. Peyton macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Yes, I saw the movie. Haha, I don't know, its strange, like I see people blowing their noses and with fevers and stuff and I've always been really curious as to what that is like. I've yet to have a headache either. (knock on plastic)

and no, not a super baby from old bush admin.

If it helps, I live in a very temperate place with extremely high allergy problems (like among the top in the world) so maybe being exposed to that for all my life...? I don't know
  21. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Eat well, live well.

Some things are good in moderation and too much of a good thing can be wonderful.
  22. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2006
    Eat - Eh, not so healthy
    Heavy Drinker? - Every other week or so pretty hard
    Smoke? - nope
    Couch potato? - Wish I could be
    Exercise? - Daily unless I just absolutely can't

I'm in great shape/healthy :) I have to be :p
  23. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Doppleganger! Sounds like me. Except I don't always go for a run every day, but they're usually 4-5 miles long. It's just raining too much here :(

I don't drink, don't smoke, eat fatty foods (though I could do with gaining an extra stone or 2, i'm hovering between 9-10 stone), eat a bit of veg in the form of chicken salads or just peas.
    I'd say you're above average though. taking into account that most people couldn't run 3 miles every day.

The healthiest food I have is a Boots Meal Deal. Which are top! little to no chemicals or anything artificial. bloody nice too. love the chicken and sweetcorn salad, Innocent smoothie or Feel Good Drink and a caramel shortcake with expire days so close it's reassuringly preservative free.
  24. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Looking at the above it looks like this is a difficult one to answer.

My diet is pretty good. I'm Ovo-lacto-vegetarian, and make sure I eat copious amounts of varied fruit and veg, rather than just cheese sandwiches like some veggies I know of. Thanks to my dog I'm forever running around the park, and I'm quite sure I'm fitter now at 33 than I was when I was 20. I do weights, but only because life becomes such an effort if I don't. Apart from a latte on workdays, I tend to drink either water or smoothies during the day, and weigh the right amount for my height.

BUT...I live in the middle of a major city, which can't be good for the lungs, and I do like Pinot Grigio and Merlot a bit too much.

On balance, stick me down as healthy.