Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying the 4inch iPhone?

• Yes

Votes: 44 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 44 50.0%

• Total voters

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
I can't use any Android phone, not even my current Sony Z5 Compact, one-handed ... I have small hands.
You have seriously small hands if you can't use the Z5 Compact with one hand.

Personally I think that the iPhone 5SE is a waste, make the iPhone 6 the base model with the 6S and 7 the mid and high end respectively.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
5se... Ridiculous name for a phone, anyone who thinks it will be called the 5se is stupid.

Simche

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2015
Europe
iPhone 5SE is really tempting, especially for my family. I have the iPhone 5s now and will probably not upgrade to 5SE + I need something with greater battery-life so I'll most likely upgrade to a "plus" model in the future :/ It only makes sense that larger iPhone has bigger battery-life and it matters if you travel around a lot like me (train/bus/etc to work/friends/companies/etc)

Cakefish

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2015
You have seriously small hands if you can't use the Z5 Compact with one hand.
I can if I really want to. But I can't reach the top corner of the display without loosening my grip on the phone. I like to have an iron grip on my phone at all times. I've never once dropped any of my phones so I don't wish to change my habits.

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
Yeah would be a step backwards for me. I currently use a 6 Plus and I can function that with one hand honestly. Carrying it has never been an issue for me either.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
Am I interested in a phone that will more than likely cost 450-500 dollars for the base model and only have 16 gigs of storage, no 3D Touch, a terrible battery, and a 4 inch screen? No. No I am not. Can find so much more value for the money elsewhere, and that is becoming more and more obvious as phone carriers drop the subsidies. Glad to see it's hurting Apple's growth. Maybe now they'll attempt to be innovative and cost friendly.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I'll be getting one for my OH to replace her iPhone 5. I was going to get her a 5s but saw the news about the 5se just before I bought her one which is lucky!

She's more interested in the the health tracking than anything, but it will be good for her to have a generally better and more future-proof phone.

mikesmith72

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2015
Houston, TX
I definitely will be. Have held off on upgrading my 5s holding out hope they would bring this phone out. I do have a 6 for work, but rarely use it due to my inability to use it one-handed without fear of dropping it.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm interested.
1. If it has an A9 SoC at the current 5S price point, I'm definitely interested. The A9 is an awesome SoC, and having it for $450 would be a nice deal.
2. If it has an A8 SoC (so basically adding a phone to the iPod Touch), then I will only be interested if it's priced at the $300 price point. Not going to pay a premium for a 2-year-old SoC. This will be the same strategy as the 5c, just a way for Apple to cut cost.

I'm afraid it will be number 2, basically adding a phone to the current iPod Touch and selling it for more (better margin).

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
If Apple release his in March I'll actually be really annoyed. Both at myself and (to a lesser degree Apple).

Myself because I don't like big phones. I don't like android. I kept my last iPhone 3 years waiting for a refresh of the 4". It never came. So last October I but bullet and bought a 6s after trying android and not liking it. I had two options. Get used to a larger phone and stick with iOS or have the option of smaller phones and get used to a new OS in android.

I decided to go with option a and stick with Apple. I love everything about the 6s besides it size. It's uncomfortable to use 1 handed and I still fee like I've got a slab next to my ear when I make a phone call. Now just a few months later they're releasing a 4" version? I'm long past my return window and I can't afford to shell out for another phone (I always buy outright). Had I just waited for a few more months I could have bought a smaller phone. But I got to the point where I was going to be forever holding on for just a few more months.

Apple because would it have absolutely killed Them to have just said 'we're working on it' so those of us waiting for a 4" phone would have held out. That said I know Apple don't do that. But it still irks me slightly.

I'm hoping that when it's released and I go to have a look I think to myself 'that's far too small now'. Or that spec wise it's not that great.

Number-Six

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2013
Apple because would it have absolutely killed Them to have just said 'we're working on it' so those of us waiting for a 4" phone would have held out. That said I know Apple don't do that. But it still irks me slightly.

The fact that you went ahead and bought a 6s is probably one of the reasons Apple won't say they're working on something

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
The fact that you went ahead and bought a 6s is probably one of the reasons Apple won't say they're working on something

Yeah probably. I know full well it's not apples thing to do that, they never have been that company have they. So I'm far more annoyed with myself for not just waiting a few more months. But it could have easily gone the other way and I'd still be sat here with zero rumours about a 4" refresh thinking 'oh well I'll just wait a few more months' again.

Since I could have been doing that forever more you have to just bite the bullet at some point don't you.

And I do really enjoy using the 6s.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Interesting, the differing underlying philosophies about what a phone's form factor should be. I think the "iPhone 5" size is about perfect, and the thinness of the iPod touch would be nice too. That plus current-year performance would be lovely as far as I'm concerned.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
It's tough to say, but leaning towards no. I'm pretty used to my 6 now, and I am still surprisingly smitten with it, but when I pick up my touch 6G it is phenomenal in the hand, even in its PowerSupport Air Jacket.

I suppose the main reason I'm less likely to get it though is because Apple will intentionally gimp it, at which point am I really even upgrading? Money out of my hand, but probably not getting much of an upgrade compared to my 6, if at all. The other reason is that the iPhone 5 form factor is just way too done at this point.

This year I'll have to actually weigh if I want/need a new phone, what with all the carrier nonsense this time around. Normally I'm an every other year launch day guy, but we will have to see this year.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Am I interested in a phone that will more than likely cost 450-500 dollars for the base model and only have 16 gigs of storage, no 3D Touch, a terrible battery, and a 4 inch screen? No. No I am not. Can find so much more value for the money elsewhere, and that is becoming more and more obvious as phone carriers drop the subsidies. Glad to see it's hurting Apple's growth. Maybe now they'll attempt to be innovative and cost friendly.

Actually it will have between 16 and 64 GB of memory, with a larger battery compared to the 5S

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Could you not just get your son an iPod touch and carry on using your existing phones?
The touch can't use mobike data. He watches a bunch of kids YouTube and Netflix videos. We also have an extra sim that we aren't paying extra for through tmobiles promo they had last October. Looked into using it in an iPad but they won't allow it.

stillone

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2010
I have been waiting for a replacement for my 5S for some time now. The 6 is too large for my taste and doesn't fit comfortably in my front pockets. I have spoken to several others who have owned 6's and would prefer to have all or most of the 6's capabilities in a smaller size. I think the 5SE will sell very well.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012

Probably jumping the gun just a little bit since we don't have the actual specs yet.

Im not the target market for this phone, but I know many people who wouldn't mind it.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Sounds like you will be better off using an Android device. You seem more inclined to that OS. The hardware is but one piece of the puzzle, and if the software isn't fitting your needs, you're only spinning your wheels and frustrating yourself.

Something is wrong then, because I find my iPhone 6 Plus to be very responsive, perhaps its just the apps I use (or in this case don't use) but I'm happy with the performance and stability.

Ditto. In fact part of the reason I just can't switch to an Android device is because the hardware on almost all Android devices just seems to not be as refined or responsive as Apple devices. I don't think this is just my being an Apple fan boy either. Even the latest Samsung devices show a lack of refinement in certain places.

stringent

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2011
London
I would be interested in an 'upgraded 5S', despite not liking the 5SE name. However I would want it to have the same specifications as the iPhone 6S at least, so yes, 3D Touch, better camera etc. I wouldn't want a cut down version. But I can see Apple leaving out a few features just because. I like my 5S size and weight. I won't make a move until the iPhone 7 later this year though. Might as well see whats happening with that before making a final decision. Definitely time to upgrade this year.

ephemeralreason

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2012
Why "Terrible battery"?

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I might change my mind, but I think I am going to hold out a bit longer with my 5S. I actually am more exciting of the possibility of an apple battery case that will hopefully fit both the iPhone 5S & 5se (or whatever it will be called) with lightning charge and pass thru sync/accessories like the iPhone 6/6S battery case

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.