Are you Liberal or Conservative? Poll.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rezet, Sep 3, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I think it would be fun to conduct a poll.
    Just type in your reply: Are you "Liberal" or "Conservative".
    Dont' have to explain why, just which one...

No need to say, I'm: LIBERAL.

2. macrumors 68040

tazo

Moderate

3. macrumors 6502

Oh so slightly to the left of moderate.

By the way, is this overall, or social, or economic?

--Waluigi

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Overall.

5. macrumors member

Conservative.

6. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Problem is I don't accept either of the two labels. Most folks would say I'm a lefty, but on some issues I'm conservative. For instance I think a balanced budget is a very good idea and that is a traditionally conservative approach. If I had to accept a label it would be "progressive." Sorry if I'm screwing up your poll. ;)

7. macrumors newbie

Liberal

8. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Moderate

9. Inu
    macrumors newbie

Do you have to American to poll here?

I do think i am between moderate and liberal, as far as i have read on the web, thats the only stance a non-US-citizen can take.

In case you wonder why: The Conservative Sites i have seen are so much "YAY US!" it actually hurts to read it because as a foreigner i am not able to wear the pink patriotism filter.

10. macrumors 6502

Liberal:

I believe in trying new things, as opposed to sticking with tradition. I believe in a giving spirit. I believe it is our duty to God to maintain this home we call earth. I believe in helping others, even other species within reason, because we humans have the ability to overcome the "Laws of Nature" including Natural Selection.

Conservative:

I believe in a small government. I want the government to protect my rights, and secondarily my life, and lastly my property. I believe that We The People should be more powerful than Me the President. I believe in fisical responsibility, and against Pork in most of it's forms. I don't believe that compromise is the best way to get things done.

That's what I believe, you can label me what you want.

11. macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure your allowed to describe your ideology no matter what country you are from.

--Waluigi

12. macrumors 65816

Taft

This is sooooo difficult.

On certain issues I lean very heavily liberal, but on others I lean more libertarian or conservative.

I believe people should be free to do anything they want as long as it doesn't cause harm to society or other people. But I also believe people have the responsibility to aide others, even those people who are deemed "undeserving" of help.

Those are the two principles that generally guide my decision making. To me, that usually means a government which stays the heck out of my business, but still collects taxes for research, infrastructure, defense, and social aide, which are all things I deem as necessary for this country, and any society, to survive and prosper.

And I can't stand terms like "family values" and "religion" in a political conversation. One of my big pet peaves is that some people in this country think its a good idea to tell people how to live their lives. I've found that arguments based on such terms generally have little factual base are are more often rooted in fear and a sense of righteous morality that has nothing to do with the best available solution to a problem.

So, like sturm375, I challenge you to label me.

Taft

13. macrumors member

Conservative

14. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Liberal

kinda off subject but what does eveyone think of this quote?
    "Without liberals there can be no conservatives."
    This can be interpreted in many ways and I have my own interp but I'd like to hear some others.

15. macrumors 68040

Well, the way I see it that can work both ways. Without there being an extreme at either end we would have no frame of reference for defining a "liberal" or a "conservative"

I am a centrist with a sharp dislike for the American political parties.

16. macrumors 6502

Maclarny

That's one way to interp it.

17. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

liberal.

but not a democrat. ;)

18. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    dang liberal vegan commies...

don't think i don't know about the hidden PPP agenda.

because i do, i mean i don't...er, ahh

dang those double negatives.

19. macrumors 601

krossfyter

anyone done this? sorry if this is redundant.

http://www.politicalcompass.org/

not to sound dumb or anything im just looking for some quick edgumacation... whats the difference between a moderate and an independent? i never really gave that some thought untill now.

20. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

An independent means that you are not affiliated to a political party or to a particular political philosophy. A moderate is a wishy-washy individual with no principles whatsoever --- SORRY, that was a JOKE! I think I was channeling a old monty python routine about social-democrats. Seriously, a moderate is usually thought of as an individual that also takes from ideas from more than one doctrine, in this case both liberal and conservative philosophies, but can be affiliated to a party. It can also mean anybody in the middle of two extremes.

21. macrumors 601

krossfyter

heh... that cracked me up.. wish washy.

alright cool.. gotcha!

22. macrumors G4

neither

Bitch.

And a registered member of the PPP.

23. macrumors 65816

Taft

This is pretty cool. It gives a better indication than just a left/right distinction.

So, like I said, I have left tendancies and libertarian tendancies (although I was equating libertarian tendancies with conservatism, which isn't 100% accurate).

My graph is included below. I'm a lefty, but still pretty moderate.

Taft

24. macrumors 65816

Taft

Here's my politics.

25. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: neither

I don't think that party has ballot status yet in California. But, I'm sure that the recall will give it an enormous boost.*

On a personal note I'm saddened to see the removal of those wonderful lips as your avatar, vniow. They helped my pitiful fantasy life every time you posted. ;)

* - has the inner circle of the PPP thought about endorsing a candidate in the recall? I'm sure it could swing the election.