Are you meant to hear the late 2012 iMacs at all ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by DanielYilmaz, Jan 20, 2013.

1. DanielYilmaz macrumors member

Oct 8, 2012
    I can hear the fan on my iMac and I can hear a rapid clicking noise is that normal ? Like is it meant to be completely silent or am I just paranoid ?
  2. dearlaserworks macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Eastern Shore, USA
    Mine is very quiet and smooth, but not silent. No clicking here, that might be a fan that's not quite right. Others have reported similar in another thread.
  3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Jun 1, 2006
    I had a clicking fan and returned in. The new one is quiet. I still hear the fan, but no clicking.
  4. DanielYilmaz thread starter macrumors member

Oct 8, 2012
    Well I think I can just hear the hard drive and im being really paranoid :p The clicking im hear isnt that distinctive thanks :)
  5. mushroomtip macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2012
  6. HBen macrumors member

Nov 26, 2012
  7. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

Nov 20, 2010
    You should hear a very low fan sound if it's completely quiet in your room, but no clicking. PS: If you hear clicking/crackling sounds, they may be from your HD (which is normal even when idling - some HDs make more noise than others in my experience), so don't go changing your iMac prematurely. :)
  8. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2008
    Could also be the screen warming up/cooling down - mine crackles/clicks.
    If you adjust the screen brightness does the frequency change ?
  9. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

Jan 5, 2013
    Probably depends what configuration you have. I have the SSD and I never hear anything from it. However if it has a regular spinning disk, I'd imagine you would hear that on occasion as well as the fans.
  10. seble macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2010
    I can't hear a thing from mine and that's with putting it right up to my ear. Maybe I'm just deaf, but to me (even when gaming) this 21.5 fusion drive is mega quiet.
  11. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2012
    When mine is backing up, I can often hear the Time Capsule drive 'clunking' about 1.5 metres away, but not a peep out of the iMac. Which makes sense as the stuff that's being backed up is most recently changed and that should be mostly on SSD part of Fusion.
  12. pukingpixels macrumors member

Nov 8, 2012
    Mine has been super quiet so far for everything I've been doing with it. Movies, photoshop, streaming etc. Haven't had the time to game on it yet though but I'd be very surprised if it would still be as quiet when gaming.
  13. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Jun 1, 2006
    The clicking fan is a problem I and others have had. If it is your hard drive, it would only be heard when the hard drive is working. My clicking never let up and it got louder as the fan increased in speed.
  14. Towelie1288 macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2012
    i barely hear my fan but i hear my HDD small clicking noise from time to time
  15. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

Jun 1, 2006
    I don't hear any crackles from my screen. That used to happen on CCFL-backlit monitors but I've never heard anything like that from an LED-backlit.
  16. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Jan 26, 2008
    You should not be hearing any noises from the iMac. Return it and get another one.
  17. Tri-stan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2012
    Does anybody like the sound of moving air? When all other michanical noise cant be heard apart from the sound of rushing air. I hope my iMac is like that :)
  18. xgman macrumors 601

Aug 6, 2007
    If you want to hear how much noise it can really make, boot into the hardware diagnostic mode and run the memory tester. Wow, like a vacuum cleaner.
  19. forty2j macrumors 68030

Jul 11, 2008
  20. seble macrumors 6502a

Sep 6, 2010
    I lie I pulled my desk forward to install some LEDs today, and damn I put that thing to my ear and it is incredibly silent! Like if you can hear that you must have ultra hearing, it was so quiet, first time I've heard it since owning it. Pushed back on my desk can't and haven't heard a peep
  21. Apple fanboy macrumors G5

Apple fanboy

Feb 21, 2012
    Behind the Lens, UK
    Mines drowned out by the Timecapsule. Pretty quiet on both counts really. Much quieter than my old PC that's for sure!
  22. woshiysc macrumors newbie

Nov 5, 2012
  23. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

Feb 11, 2009
    I had the rapid clicking sound for the first couple of weeks - its not the hdd its the fan , since I have no HDD in mine. Its not suppose to be there. But it can go away once the iMac has been on for a while. Its something touching the fan. I tilted my screen and let it be on for an entire night and it was gone. Now its completely silent :)
  24. mrjose macrumors newbie

Sep 25, 2012
    Wonder if the "something" broke off or the fan stopped working???
  25. edry.hilario macrumors 6502a

Aug 1, 2010
    what did you exactly do to fix it ?? i want to try it on mine what do you mean tilting it ?