Are you paying for your college education?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Demon Hunter, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I work part-time to pay for living expenses and books, but that's usually all I can cover. My parents would like to help but they can't afford it, so I take out loans. This time next year, I'll be $24k in debt, with over two years to go.

I have to say, I'm extremely jealous of those who don't work at all! My friend was complaining to me about his college fund the other day. I said, "college fund?! I had one of those, and it went from $20k to $2k after 9/11."

I am fine with it, although taking out loans certainly is stressful. I'm definitely thinking about job security and career prospects more than I ever did before. I also don't know what kind of repayment I'm looking at, or how it will impact my lifestyle after graduation.

Any grads with insight, or undergrads with similar stories? How do you finance it?

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

In my case, I had an Air Force ROTC scholarship that paid for 3.5 years of my college education... tuition, room and board, and an allowance for books. The rest I paid myself, using stock I'd been given by my grandmother when I was born. My parents paid not a single penny toward my college education (although they did cover some other unrelated expenses, like my car).

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I will be 50k in debt in 2 more years. Right now it's about 22k.

4. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

When I graduate, I'll be 22K in the hole (after all 4 years). Not too bad, considering I pay NOTHING right now. Plus I live at home, saving me a crapload of money... You guys know how much is costs to "live" in SF? That place is waaayyy overrated. Its cold. Expensive. Dirty. And full of bums... Glad I don't live there... [Edit- Not to offend anyone who does live there. It can be a nice place if you can afford to live there comfortably]

That is of course, if all my financial aid is the same all 4yrs...

5. jmufellow macrumors regular

Parents not paying a penny, although I know they would want to if they could. It does make me feel sick when spoiled brats complain that their parents aren't sending them enough money. They should try working a job and going to school...not the easiest combination, but still doable.

6. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Definitely... although when I tried to work ~20hrs a week last year I failed miserably.

Ah I live at home too. :) Minneapolis a great city though, low crime, lots of coffee shops. Very liberal though. :p

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

When I went to University, my parents helped pay for my first semester - after that, I was on my own. I entered the University's Cooperative Work Experience program, and throughout my Engineering eduction I went on 4-month work terms with various companies around the country. It gave me great real-world experience for my resume, so I didn't have "just my degree" when I graduated, and most importantly, it gave me the income which allowed me to become self-sustained, so I could pay for the rest of my education without needing my parents' help or to take out a student loan. I consider myself very lucky that I left University with zero debt. :cool:

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What Uni? Was it Waterloo or something? They have such a great Co-op program in so many programs at their Uni. Quite weird.

Anyway, I'm lucky that my parents paid for almost all of my tuition and living costs. They did plan ahead quite well, so it's not like they got hit by shock when I was about to go to Uni. I think they had enough to pay for 3 years of Uni with no trouble, and then ran out of that university fund they had set up, and then paid for most of my 4th year out of their pocket.

They paid for half of my Masters degree, and now with my $25000 per year scholarship, I'm paying most of what I spend, but still not all of it. ;)

I work as a lab demonstrator as well, but the money I earn from that will go towards my future Nikon D70s. :D

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i put myself through. i started working when i was 11 and saved everything i could. once in school, i worked full-time and got loans for the first couple years.

i emerged exhausted, in debt, but with a degree.

10. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I went to a community college, and didn't have to pay a dime. I got financial aid, and money left over. :D I'm goin back this spring.

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

my parents pay for my college, but i take care of my necessities such as clothes, technology habbits, etc.

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Same with me. My parents offered to get me a car but I told them I was fine without one for now. I feel extremely lucky that I don't have to worry about paying for school and a ton of respect for anyone that does pay for any part of their schooling.

13. diddy macrumors 6502

Im fortunate enough to have my parents pay, but I get 23k out of 30k from the school every year. Well, I guess a little more than 4k of that is in loans, so I will owe 17k-ish when I graduate. I have to work in the IT office for necessities, but I'm still very lucky.

This reminds me... anyone want to hire a kid with degrees in math and philosophy this spring? :D ;)

14. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

Hmm....I went to college for 6 years and only had to pay for one with loans. Scholarships covered the rest (tuition and fees, anyway). Nothwithstanding, I still had to work full time to make ends meet (prolly why it took so long to get out of school).

Now I'm in a Grad program where they pay me to go to school :)
    In fact, they gave me this handy office for me to surf MR, too ;)

15. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

Just to keep this from getting to skewed, keep in mind that most students whose parents pay all their college funds won't be posting for fear of ridicule, as this is obviously not a thread to praise them.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup. I paid for all of mine, I say "Paid" cause I'm pretty sure I just had my last exam about an hour ago. Have had a few quiet ales but have to clean my pigsty to make way for the family tomorrow.

WOOHOO!!!

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Congratulations Chundles! :D

I'm paying for mine later. At the moment I have a debt to the government of about AU$15,000 so far. :(

18. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh yeah, well, I don't count my debt. It's about that much too, shouldn't be but I've taken 5 years to do my 3 year degree.

Paid for everything else though, books, accom, food, fun, booze, wimmins - mmmm....wimmins, I miss me wimmins...

Tahnks Jew. Yoiu're a champ.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ah, but you're a qualified and fully certified champ. :D

I hope you're going to have a nice long relaxing holiday 'fore you head out into the workforce.

20. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Enjoy it, I had my last unit exam on a wednesday and started work full time the following monday, never got a chance to relax:eek:

21. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ah, so that's why you're fat. :p

:D

Kidding, you know we love you dearly barneygumble.

22. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

Why dont you go and tell everybody then;)

I do have lots of mucles and can lift big wights at the gym but there is a rather hefty gut in front of me:eek:

23. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I owe $190K in student loans. Thanks for reminding me. :p

24. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: and just for good measure:eek: :eek: :eek:

How in god's name did it gety that high, My Chemical engineering degree cost
    about $21K in australian dollars and thats staying one yr too long.

25. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

Paying for it on my own. Not too bad though...only about $1,000/semester after fed loans/scholarships/etc., not too bad for a private liberal arts college. I get most of that from two work-study jobs and stipends for other work I do on campus, so I don't have to leave campus for work. I'll probably have in the $30 thou for debt over five years of college. Oy.