Are you planning on upgrading to Leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iMacZealot, Feb 17, 2007.

?

Are you planning on upgrading to Leopard?

Poll closed Jun 18, 2007.
  1. Definitely!

105 vote(s)
    70.0%
  2. Probably, but I'll have to take a look at it when it's released first.

28 vote(s)
    18.7%
  3. If I have the money, yes.

10 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Only if I buy software that requires Leopard.

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. No.

5 vote(s)
    3.3%
  1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

Well, are you?

I probably won't unless if Apple releases Final Cut Studio and if it requires Leopard. I don't see that much it'll get me. The only feature I'd use is Mail.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, the day it arrives, with a full clean install and hopefully at the same time as I max out my RAM.

3. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

With Bells On • I'll Be At The Palo Alto Store

No doubt. I'll pre-order and be at the Palo Alto Store first in line friday afternoon just for the party. :D
    True Dat as well. But I want to put it on my Quad, Dual Core G5s & Old PowerBook G4 on day one just for old times sake. :D

4. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I don't think I'll have much of a choice. I do plan of buying the next Mac Pro and it'll come pre-installed.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, I probably won't unless if FCS 6 requires it, but if not, I'll probably wait until I buy a Mac Pro, too.

6. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

For $99 from Amazon, yes!

I tend to recommend every other or every 3rd upgrade for software--saves a lot of $, and if the "old" version does the job, then it can keep on doing it. But in the case of my OS, it touches everything I do, and it's worth every upgrade to me. And the zillion "little things" can actually add up to more value for me than the headline features.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

I missed Tiger so I'll definitely get Leopard.

8. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

not as excited as i was for tiger, but i'm still gonna grab a copy on the first day.

9. erikamsterdam macrumors regular

erikamsterdam

10. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

11. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Xcode 3/IB3/Xray, new APIs, spotlight improvements, speed improvements... count me in.

12. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Like Spicyapple I intend getting a Mac Pro and will almost certainly get a copy for my MacBook Pro.

13. Tymmz macrumors 65816

Tymmz

I'm really looking forward to spaces. With my 12'' PB I already tried other virtual desktop solutions, but none of them convinced me.

Don't know when I'll be upgrading.

14. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I was the poor sucker who said if I have money. When your a student saving up for trip at the end of the year, you don't get much choices :(

15. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I love OS updates so I'll definitely buy it on day one. I do hope it has a new Finder :eek:

16. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

From the preview last year, Leopard has a number of features that I want to be using.

1. Improved spotlight. A lot of my research material exists in PDF format. Spotlight has already been an invaluable tool. Improvemnts are just going to make it that much better.

2. Spaces. The ability to group apps into different screens will help in my current workflow.

3. Time Machine. Yes - I've got automated backup at the moment, but this is intigrated much better into the OS. I'm planning on tossing a third disk into my Mac Pro for this.

4. Improved speech synth. Getting the Mac to read back text is a fantastic way to edit. Helps pick up gramatical errors and give a far better idea of how what has been written will read. The improved synth will be a big plus - probably the main selling point for me in fact.

5. Mail improvements - the To-Do intigration looks like a feature I'll be using lots.

Everything else is gravy. Optimisation of the new intel Macs. 64 bit support. Core animation. An improved finder (please for gods sake an improved finder).

Now if only Apple would release iWork 07, I could ditch Word and wave good-by to MicroSoft forever ;)

As I have three Macs in the house - I'll be after the Leopard family pack whenever it becomes available.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'll probably get one when i decide to upgrade computers BUT i don't see myself buying a standalone retail version. just not that excited.

18. blakbyrd macrumors member

blakbyrd

"Probably, but I'll have to take a look at it when it's released first."

When I learn more about Leopard's features, and if I find them worth it, then yes. :cool:

19. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

As a few others have said, since I'll be getting my first Mac, I'll certainly make sure Leopard is pre-installed :)

-Bryan

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I'll preorder it as soon as possible and may even go to the apple store nearby on the release day.

21. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

definitely, the day it comes out. i love OS upgrades! :D

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I wont waste a heartbeat between the time it comes out and the moment I order my 10 copies. Does the server version usually come out at the same time?

23. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Seems like the tendency is pretty much the same as when this was a MacPoll... except this poll lacks the essential "Will buy a Mac with Leopard pre-installed" option...

BTW: I voted "Definitively!", jsut as I voted "Yes, will buy it right away" in the original poll.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Definitely I can't wait for Time Machine! The ability to never delete a file again sounds really cool, (now if only it had .Mac integration (for remote backup) and .Mac was sensibly priced)

25. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I have no plans to upgrade my current system to leopard. However I plan on buying a new mac in the next 4-12 months, which will come with Leopard already on it.