Are you ready for the US election to be over already or not?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by relimw, Oct 18, 2004.

1. relimw macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm personally very tired of all the political ads, and wishy-washiness of all the rheoric from both parties. Anybody else ready for it to be over, and get things somewhat back to normal?

2. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I'm ready. I'm tired of the bs both sides are spewing out all over. If they had just taken all the money they had spent campaigning and gave it to charity, our nation would be a better place than it is now. Just put their name on the ballot and let us vote. All your ads aren't going to sway me one way or the other. I've already made up my mind. :rolleyes:

3. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I'm sick of all of Bush's sleazy smear/attack ads. I'm ready for those to be over.

Early voting starts today in Florida--I'll be going on my lunch break.

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Frankly, even though I'm obviously a Kerry supporter, I'm ready for all the ads to be over. I'm just sick of them already.

I'm Thomas Veil, and I approved this message.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You guys just live in the wrong state -- I'm in a "red" state and so hardly get any ads -- though our senate race is getting pretty interesting with all the attack ads.

6. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

No kidding. I live in Chicago and my parents were in town this weekend from Michigan. They kept mentioning how releaved they were that they got away from the attack ads for the weekend. In Illinois we are blissfully ignorant of most of the attack ads circulating right now.

Ahhh, ignorance.

That said, you still get a healthy dose of partisan attacks if you are at all active in political communities on the internet. Partisan hacks don't limit their attacks to the TV.

Taft

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Did anybody notice there are no ads on this page. Particularly NO political ads? Hmmm.

8. relimw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sorry, what early voting starts today that you're going to? :confused:

Absentee voting has been going for some time now. I voted almost two weeks ago.

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Out of curiousity Matt, in what manner did you vote? (ie traditional paper-ballot, electronic voter machine w/ or w/o receipt). Thanks.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I got a mailing from Swiftvets today. I thought about marking it refused, but they probably just have a trash policy for refused bulk mail, so it just ended up in my trash can.

I'm not ready for the election hubbub to be over.

I remember that after the last presidential Election Day, the real insanity began.

Then of course we had four years of Bush, which was anything but normal. So, yeah, I'm ready for this insanity to end.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm really ready for it to be over.

I need to hurry up and find out if I have to pack for Canada or not.

:D

12. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Unfortunately I didn't get to vote today; couldn't get out of the office. Will vote tomorrow for sure!

It's touchscreen voting, and they do issue paper-receipts from what I understand.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Thanks. The reason I ask is because of the cynicism I have about proper fairness in the tabulation of votes. This has been bolstered by the handful of articles describing attempts at manipulating the process for partisan gains. I was curious about your scenario in particular, as many eyes will be focused on the booths come November, but right now I am unsure if much attention is being focused on fairness.

I do not know who you are voting for, but it is in the interest of everyone to have their vote count. Glad to see you are making the effort.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

ROFL

Everytime I see one of her ads I'm always thinking, 'I hope you approve it it's your freakin' ad!"

Lethal

15. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Who is this "her" you are referring to? I assume it is Barbara Boxer, based on where you live and what I can gather from your political leanings.

I believe Thomas was referring to Bush's ads, which may not get much play in California or alternately may not draw your ire for Partisan reasons.

Personally, as someone who never watches TV, I am blissfully unaware of all of this crap. That said, it is the character and nature of many of these ads (eg attack ads) that bother me more than the obviousness of a Politician attaching their explicit approval.

Anyways, in response to the original topic, while I hate the nature of the Political season, I also enjoy the fact that it demands the voter's attention to the Political World, which should happen all the time. It is vaguely depressing, however, that many people, forced to pull their heads from out of the sand for Election season, while rightfully decrying the madness they are exposed to, opt to get back to "normal" instead of trying to address the problems they are so irritated by.

I guess we collectively reap what we sow, by action or inaction...

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I am refering to her ads (I couldn't remember her name).

I haven't seen any pres. ads

Regardless of my politics, verbally stating approval of your own ad at the end said ad is just a "d'uh" statement. You seem to have me mistaken for a partisan slut. ;)

Lethal

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Me first. I'm only a few hours away. I'll just have to stop off in Bellevue first (or Oregon, no tax) before I go. I hear Macs are expensive up there. At least I'll get healthcare again. :p

18. relimw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually from what I understand, adding the 'This ad is approved by whoever', is required by the election reform act (mccain-feingold or something like that). Sorry for the speeling errors, I had surgery yestreday and they have me on yummy drugs.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

20. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Just got back from voting...loooooong lines there. Stood there for about an hour before I got to vote, but I'm glad I got it over with.

And I take back what I said about the machines leaving paper trails...they are *not* doing that in Florida, at least not in this county.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Depends on who wins...

If Bush steals this one too things are going to get ugly...

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

23. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

for those of you who live in battleground states...

how the f*** do you deal with it? i just spent a week in pennsylvania and was inundated with presidential ads. you can't get away from them in pittsburgh; every commercial break on tv, every radio station, every billboard...i simply cannot fathom putting up with that garbage day in and day out.

24. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

I live in the Battleground State of Battleground States, and I'm sick to death of it. I can't wait for the next week and a half to be over.