Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
The problem I currently have is that I think the battery life in my 6s is pretty weak. I'm having to charge it mid day in order to not be dead by about 9-10pm (and I take it off the charger at about 1030am). Problem is that I had a 6 Plus before this so it obviously had better battery life so I don't know if my phone has bad battery life or it's normal for the regular sized model and I'm just not used to it. :/

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

james126

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2015
Vancouver, Canada
A brief note you might be interested in - my Canadian launch day iPhone 6s+ ordered directly from Apple is showing eligibility for return until October 18th.

If this is true, means that Canadians might have a few more days to ponder this matter

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
The problem I currently have is that I think the battery life in my 6s is pretty weak. I'm having to charge it mid day in order to not be dead by about 9-10pm (and I take it off the charger at about 1030am). Problem is that I had a 6 Plus before this so it obviously had better battery life so I don't know if my phone has bad battery life or it's normal for the regular sized model and I'm just not used to it. :/

What does your battery page tell you is using your power?

C

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
What does your battery page tell you is using your power?

C

at the top of the list it shows Hearthstone having used 20%, BUT that was from yesterday. I haven't played it today and my battery is at 66% (been off charger since 1030am - and it got a full 100% charge overnight). second down the list is Mail - background activity at 15% and then messages at 15%

edit - for usage it says 3hr 19 min on time since last full charge. should i be down to 66% already? also i don't understand this because i haven't been using my phone for 3hr19min since 1030am. it's only been 4 hours and i have not been using my phone for 3hr19min out of 4 hrs today lol

double edit - the other night I even put it in low power mode when it was at 20%, in about 40 mins of being in my pocket it was down to 15%... I'm thinking it my be a bad battery, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
at the top of the list it shows Hearthstone having used 20%, BUT that was from yesterday. I haven't played it today and my battery is at 66% (been off charger since 1030am). second down the list is Mail - background activity at 15% and then messages at 15%

edit - for usage it says 3hr 19 min on time since last full charge. should i be down to 66% already? also i don't understand this because i haven't been using my phone for 3hr19min since 1030am. it's only been 4 hours and i have not been using my phone for 3hr19min out of 4 hrs today lol

I know it's not entirely comparable, but my battery is at 61%, after I took it off the charger this morning at 6:30 (MST, so about 7 hours ago). I've got 4:04 of usage, 7:19 of standby. This is on a TSMC 6s (not plus). So yes, it does seem like your battery usage is on the high side.

One thing I did was set my mail to pull every 15 minutes, and to turn off many of the Location apps. I don't need to know when I'm close to a Starbucks, thank you very much... :)

C

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2011
USA
My TuneIn Radio app has used 31% of my battery in the last 1.9 hours (ran in the background) and 2 min (screen). Is that about right?
I was originally thinking that my battery was okay, although, I have went from a 6Plus to a 6S.
It's hard to compare with two different size batteries.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I know it's not entirely comparable, but my battery is at 61%, after I took it off the charger this morning at 6:30 (MST, so about 7 hours ago). I've got 4:04 of usage, 7:19 of standby. This is on a TSMC 6s (not plus). So yes, it does seem like your battery usage is on the high side.

One thing I did was set my mail to pull every 15 minutes, and to turn off many of the Location apps. I don't need to know when I'm close to a Starbucks, thank you very much... :)

C

wow, yeah thats doing way better than mine. and i have background refresh off on everything except for Gmail, Instagram, Line, Messenger, News, Twitter and Weather. Definitely not enough to be draining my battery that quick.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I'm returning mine because of the Samson chip. Hell, I'm so pissed that I think I'm going to go get a Note 5 now!
On a side note: the Note 5 could have an "inferior" Samsung SoC inside ... and it's made by Samsung, the same manufacturer that made your hated A9 ... lol

Guys you are incredible.

Reactions: beebarb and CraigGB

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
wow, yeah thats doing way better than mine. and i have background refresh off on everything except for Gmail, Instagram, Line, Messenger, News, Twitter and Weather. Definitely not enough to be draining my battery that quick.

I have most of those things turned off, or not installed. But I probably have other apps to make up for them. :)

C

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
What if you swap it out and still get a samsung one? Lol.

The OCD would be through the roof. Emergency rooms across the nation would be packed. Benzo sales would be through the roof...

But seriously,

At that point, I would recommend getting a Samsung one, as in Samsung Galaxy.

There's no point in Apple because there will always be an "issue"

It bends when I bend it, the antenna is on the outside, the screen is yellow, it's too light, there's a nick on it, the rose gold is actually pink what the heck Apple, my battery sucks, and on and on

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I guess I am in the minority. I have the Samsung chip and have no intentions of returning it nor do I think I am getting poor battery life. To the contrary, I have better life with my 6s Plus than I did my regular 6 it seems. No other issues either, so I will keep it.
You are not in the minority mate.
Out of forums like this, people will enjoy their iPhone without even knowing what SoC it has inside.

That's actually not what they said. That is what you wanted to hear. Go back and read it again.
Haters gonna hate....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Remember last year Apple said iphone 6 is hard to bend, no problem with the phone body, just around 10 people in the world report having band related problem? Ha ha

It is different, band gate applies for any iphone6 or iphone 6plus very fair, cpugate this time depends in you are lucky or not.
bendgate didn't exist ....

Is this serious?
on MacRumors ? you bet on it.
This is the land of serial returners
Sadly, yes.
Typical meaningless 'first world problem' right here.

My Android phone* hasn't recieved an update beyond Android 4.4.4, the Wi-Fi reciever can't see the 5GHz band, it has problems with bluetooth, and the battery life isn't great.

But, I don't exchange it because IT WORKS.

But somehow, these people want to exchange their iPhones, because the Samsung chip doesn't last as long on battery as the TSMC chip?! SUCH CHILDISH WHINING!

*Before you whine about me mentioning Android on this forum, I already had one iOS device, and I needed a phone.
this forum doesn't stop to amaze me ...
But this is an editor's fault: they reported a ridiculous test made on a SINGLE UNIT as a click bait.
On a forum like this is an invitation for a flame

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesMB

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
“Our testing and customer data show the actual battery life of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, even taking into account variable component differences, vary within just 2-3% of each other.”

So that says nothing about battery life?

For the price I paid for an iPhone I WANT it perfect, did I get a 3% discount when I bought the phone? No! I had to pay the same amount as those with a TSMC chip.
did you realize that even in THE SAME BATCH of SoCs there are differences bigger than 2% ???
A lot of components affect battery life, not only the SoC, and every one has production variations...

Yes we should all return until we get the chip we want. Apple should allow people to open up the phones to check before leaving the store. This is an outrage!

So which chip is the one that we want guys?
.... pssst, don't tell them about different NANDs

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Did you ask to try the phone at the store to be sure or did you take a change and looked it up at home?

Nope, I didn't make an issue about it at the store. I was within my 14 day return period and simply said I was not happy with the battery life of this unit and I would like to return it and purchase the one i reserved online (key fact here). They were totally cool about it, I think a big help was that I was relaxed about the whole thing. It was a luck of the draw if I got a TSMC because you cant tell until you buy it and install the app to determine what you got. But I did and it worked out, had it not been TSMC I would have done the same thing again until I did.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I have read the articles, watched the YouTube videos, and read many forum posts on this issue. If I could exchange my Samsung processor iPhone for one with a TSMC processor, I would. However, I cannot be certain that if I go through the time and effort that is usually involved in exchanging a smartphone, I will get an iPhone with the TSMC processor. While the iPhone is expensive, my time is valuable.

The A9 processor issue should not be easily dismissed. I would like to offer two considerations to assess its importance to Apple and consumers.

(1) Can two processors with consistently different benchmarks scores, running temperatures, and sizes that are made by different manufacturers be deemed to be the same Apple A9 processor? It would be interesting to see what a court of law would determine.

(2) If a Sales Associate at an Apple Store gave you a choice between picking an iPhone with a TSMC processor or leaving to chance which processor you get, what would be your response?

From my point of view as a consumer, the Samsung processor and the TSMC processor are two different processors and Apple has been rather disingenuous in pretending they are the same.

If Apple wishes to keep its engineering reputation it should not allow manufacturers so much freedom in interpreting its designs.
since you are a customer, maybe Apple engineers are a little bit more competent than you to establish those are THE SAME CHIP produced by two different foundries...

Apple did not say the Samsung chip is 2-3% less then the other. It stated that there could be a 2-3 percent difference even between 2 phones with identical chips.
exactly this

Reactions: JamesMB

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Nope, I didn't make an issue about it at the store. I was within my 14 day return period and simply said I was not happy with the battery life of this unit and I would like to return it and purchase the one i reserved online (key fact here). They were totally cool about it, I think a big help was that I was relaxed about the whole thing. It was a luck of the draw if I got a TSMC because you cant tell until you buy it and install the app to determine what you got. But I did and it worked out, had it not been TSMC I would have done the same thing again until I did.

what was the process? are you on the apple upgrade program? did they do a full refund and then have to re-run credit, charge you again, etc? or did they just do an exchange?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
even if they all had TMSC chips you would have a difference between individual chips and as a result everyones phone will be different, it's just the silicon lottery, and then with all the other components in the phone that can affect it, someone might have a better battery, someone might have a bad one, people could go crazy trying to find a perfect phone. I would think it's possible there are some bad TMSC chips out there that might perform worse then a good Samsung one.
absolutely true, but there are so little understanding about semiconductors here ....
The mental process of the people on this forum.
fixed for you

lookn4wifi

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
IPhone 6s with the Samsung chip here. I'm not bothered by this as my device has no issues that I've run across. I have no intention to return or exchange.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
what was the process? are you on the apple upgrade program? did they do a full refund and then have to re-run credit, charge you again, etc? or did they just do an exchange?

Here is the full process for me, I am on ATT Next 12. So being on this plan, they do not let you exchange phones, only return and rebuy.

So before i went in, I reserved a new phone online for in-store pickup, no commitments here. Just reserves you one in store to buy then.

Go to the store at the time you picked, You will fully return your current phone for a refund, be sure to bring back your box, accessories and your original receipt, you will need to show them your original order number as well, once returned you will only get back what you paid in tax - assuming your swapping for the same phone and on ATT next (color does not matter).

They then give you the new phone, just like your signing up to add a new phone to your plan, charge you the same tax amount and activate it on your plan with your same number.

That's about it, total process took about 30 minutes.

Again, be cool. Just say your not happy with the current phone (i said my battery sucked and it got hot - which is true) and want to return it, but you have reserved one online for pickup. I always try to scope out the person who I think is gonna give me less hassle in general and try and pick them to help me, not always an option though. You will not be dealing with a genius in this return/rebuy situation, just a regular sales person.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Here is the full process for me, I am on ATT Next 12. So being on this plan, they do not let you exchange phones, only return and rebuy.

So before i went in, I reserved a new phone online for in-store pickup, no commitments here. Just reserves you one in store to buy then.

Go to the store at the time you picked, You will fully return your current phone for a refund, be sure to bring back your box, accessories and your original receipt, you will need to show them your original order number as well, once returned you will only get back what you paid in tax - assuming your swapping for the same phone (color does not matter).

They then give you the new phone, just like your signing up to add a new phone to your plan, charge you the same tax amount and activate it on your plan with your same number.

That's about it, total process took about 30 minutes.

Again, be cool. Just say your not happy with the current phone (i said my battery sucked and it got hot - which is true) and want to return it, but you have reserved one online for pickup. I always try to scope out the person who I think is gonna give me less hassle in general and try and pick them to help me, not always an option though. You will not be dealing with a genius in this return/rebuy situation, just a regular sales person.

hmmm, i have the apple upgrade plan and i really don't want to have it hit my credit again. for the reasons of not wanting another credit check AND the issue of people randomly getting denied. so i could potentially return my phone and then get DENIED on the new one because the system is wonky.... it seems like a big risk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.