Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Sure!

Is too weird to me a computer with no ports, I am currently using a Windows notebook.

When i saw the rose MacBook i fell in love.

Now i need to find the right devices to be totally happy with it

hahahaha

:D

It's sooo small though :).

It's smaller than my iPad Pro 12.9.

I imagine more USBC devices will be released. There's already a Sandisk 32GB dual USB 3.0/USB C thumb drive.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
I'm curious, people who run a VM all the time (can be Windows, Linux, anything, for whatever task), how long does rMB last on a full charge?

If it's VMware Fusion, even better, since I'm going to be using it.

I don't run it all the time, but I just spent about 2 hours with virtual box.

I did a fresh install of windows 10 (maybe 20 min?), then spent the rest of the time playing with various C++ compilers on windows. I also had Xcode open for about the last 30 minutes.

Anyway, I started at 80% battery, and ended at 60%. It said I had about 4.5 hours left of battery, with both the VM and Xcode open/me switching between desktops and using them each. Safari was also open with 5-8 tabs. Oh, I guess the Edge browser (or whatever it's called now) was open too, to download various compilers..but I closed it as soon as I could.

Right now, I'm at 58% battery, with 6:20 hours remaining (it keeps climbing..)...using just Safari (I closed Xcode).

I have the backlight and keyboard light setting on minimal (1 notch each).

I imagine fusion or parallels would be more efficient, but I really have no complaints about the performance or battery.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Sure!

Is too weird to me a computer with no ports, I am currently using a Windows notebook.

When i saw the rose MacBook i fell in love.

Now i need to find the right devices to be totally happy with it

hahahaha

Apple's USB-C to USB/HDMI Adapter is a whopping $50, if you can afford a $1500 computer you can afford the adapter.

And the lack of ports is the RMB's best feature. Because that's what enables it's super-thin profile and ultra-light weight. The tables get turned with this product; used to be that 100% of the people got the Swiss army knife of every port and all this processing power that only 10% of the people ever used. With the RMB, now 90% of the people lose the ports they never wanted and 10% of the people have to use adapters. Apple makes the Air if you want all those ports and that fan and all the associated noise and heat and weight and thickness, have at it.

BJ

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I picked up the Hootoo HT-UC001 on Amazon for $63 during a lightning deal earlier this week. Even at its regular $80 Amazon price is a good value. It gives you the same HDMI, Power, USB3 as Apple's but more USB ports and SD reader. Much better value than Apple's $80 option.

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
I picked up the Hootoo HT-UC001 on Amazon for $63 during a lightning deal earlier this week. Even at its regular $80 Amazon price is a good value. It gives you the same HDMI, Power, USB3 as Apple's but more USB ports and SD reader. Much better value than Apple's $80 option.

Do you have a powered USB 3 hub (not USB-C)? Could you try to see if it works when plugged into one of the USB ports of the HooToo?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I do not have a power USB3 hub to test. One of the HooToo USB3 does provide power. That's all I know.

Have you used the HDMI port yet? Reviews on Amazon are a bit sketchy on that functionality. And that's where I tend to lean towards the Apple hub. It's still the only hub you can buy that is likely to work reliably. It's hard to believe we are a year into USB-C and while the options are growing, the vast majority of what's available is poorly made and unreliable. The vast majority of the Amazon reviews for all these hubs are from people who were given the product for free, so even if they aren't compelled to write a good review, they also aren't invested in testing it thoroughly, or being completely honest if it doesn't work 100%. They likely just don't care.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Have you used the HDMI port yet? Reviews on Amazon are a bit sketchy on that functionality. And that's where I tend to lean towards the Apple hub. It's still the only hub you can buy that is likely to work reliably. It's hard to believe we are a year into USB-C and while the options are growing, the vast majority of what's available is poorly made and unreliable. The vast majority of the Amazon reviews for all these hubs are from people who were given the product for free, so even if they aren't compelled to write a good review, they also aren't invested in testing it thoroughly, or being completely honest if it doesn't work 100%. They likely just don't care.

I used the HDMI for maybe an hour or so yesterday and had no issues. It has much better reviews than other USB-C hubs and I wanted something with more than one USB port. It comes with a warranty and Amazon has been good in the past with offering refunds for bad tech the manufacturer wouldn't honor warranties on. Fingers crossed!

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Guys is this a big upgrade from the previous model? I can get the previous model one for $999.
Some might disagree but I'd say for most people it doesn't represent a big upgrade. It is an upgrade though, and how much impact it has depends on your needs and preferences.

Have you considered one of the $929 refurbs from Apple? Apart from the box it ships in you won't know the difference.

Personally, if I were buying one today I'd go with the refurb and save $370 on the base model or $410 on the 512GB SSD model. I have the 2015 1.2/512GB model and feel no urge to upgrade.

David58117

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2013
Some might disagree but I'd say for most people it doesn't represent a big upgrade. It is an upgrade though, and how much impact it has depends on your needs and preferences.

Have you considered one of the $929 refurbs from Apple? Apart from the box it ships in you won't know the difference.

Personally, if I were buying one today I'd go with the refurb and save $370 on the base model or $410 on the 512GB SSD model. I have the 2015 1.2/512GB model and feel no urge to upgrade.

Same here. I could still return this one, but using it daily,- I feel no need.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Don't forget that with the rMB and a docking hub, when you take your rMB to your desk you plug in ONE CABLE. Gone are the days of plugging and unplugging a crap-ton of cables when you sit at or leave your desk.

usbcrout_zpsryhchff8.jpg

Bingo.

Case in point: I'm currently in Hong Kong on business and when I leave the room I put my RMB into the room safe. While I don't normally need the hub or any cables, when I'm in a hotel room in Hong Kong, different story. Right now I've got my USB-C cable supplying power, I've got my HDMI cable hooked up to the HDTV, and I've got my ASUS ethernet-to-USB adapter providing both hard-wired internet to the notebook and acting as a router creating a room-sized private wi-fi network for my iPhone and iPad.

When I'm out of the room, one connection to unplug. When I'm back in the room, one connection to plug back in. The Apple accessory isn't an "adapter". It's the world's smallest and lightest docking station. It's one of the best features of the RMB. Leave the legacy ports behind when you don't need them, bring along a tiny dock when you do need them.

BJ

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
usbcrout_zpsryhchff8.jpg

Bingo.

Case in point: I'm currently in Hong Kong on business and when I leave the room I put my RMB into the room safe. While I don't normally need the hub or any cables, when I'm in a hotel room in Hong Kong, different story. Right now I've got my USB-C cable supplying power, I've got my HDMI cable hooked up to the HDTV, and I've got my ASUS ethernet-to-USB adapter providing both hard-wired internet to the notebook and acting as a router creating a room-sized private wi-fi network for my iPhone and iPad.

When I'm out of the room, one connection to unplug. When I'm back in the room, one connection to plug back in. The Apple accessory isn't an "adapter". It's the world's smallest and lightest docking station. It's one of the best features of the RMB. Leave the legacy ports behind when you don't need them, bring along a tiny dock when you do need them.

BJ

I have the exact same "dock", just from third party - and it's GREAT when I get home from the office and still want to dock in and do some work on big documents, or more documents at once. A big screen - big keyboard and external mouse and last but not least: Power - all with one plug. It's amazing.

Looking forward to USB-C monitors being the new normal, with them having build in USB ports, power delivery and more.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
I have the exact same "dock", just from third party - and it's GREAT when I get home from the office and still want to dock in and do some work on big documents, or more documents at once. A big screen - big keyboard and external mouse and last but not least: Power - all with one plug. It's amazing.

Looking forward to USB-C monitors being the new normal, with them having build in USB ports, power delivery and more.

+1

And best of all? Gives customers the choice of not dragging around the weight and thickness of the ports if they don't need them on a given day or away from the desk.

BJ

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
+1

And best of all? Gives customers the choice of not dragging around the weight and thickness of the ports if they don't need them on a given day or away from the desk.

BJ

Great benefit for me - All day on the office I don't need a single port and don't even carry my charger with me here - Battery lasts all day and love the form factor and screen.

Reactions: boltjames

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I don't run it all the time, but I just spent about 2 hours with virtual box.

I did a fresh install of windows 10 (maybe 20 min?), then spent the rest of the time playing with various C++ compilers on windows. I also had Xcode open for about the last 30 minutes.

Anyway, I started at 80% battery, and ended at 60%. It said I had about 4.5 hours left of battery, with both the VM and Xcode open/me switching between desktops and using them each. Safari was also open with 5-8 tabs. Oh, I guess the Edge browser (or whatever it's called now) was open too, to download various compilers..but I closed it as soon as I could.

Right now, I'm at 58% battery, with 6:20 hours remaining (it keeps climbing..)...using just Safari (I closed Xcode).

I have the backlight and keyboard light setting on minimal (1 notch each).

I imagine fusion or parallels would be more efficient, but I really have no complaints about the performance or battery.

How is the performance of the machine with all this stuff running?
Still snappy?
Any noticeable slowdown or lag?

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I picked up a m3 version today. Don't think I need more really, worst case I have to return it but so far so good. Haven't been close to reaching 100% load yet, even though I been installing things like crazy.

toddzrx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012

Man, so am I. I can easily see a couple years into the future when USB-C is everywhere, and you'll never worry about needing adapters; just plug in a cable for data, power, and/or an external monitor.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
There is no problem afford for the hub, but i heard Apple hub have no SD port.

That is correct however there are several SD card readers compatible with USB or USB-C so that should not be a problem for you.

The RMB forces adapter compromises to those who need legacy port compatibility in the same way every other notebook on the planet forces form-factor compromises to those who don't need legacy ports at all.

Shoe on the other foot (finally).

BJ

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Just a quick note to say that after a few days with this new m7/256 my favorite thing about it--at least when compared to my previous 2015 1.2/512--is the battery life. The reviews and specs claim about an extra hour of time, but I'm getting at least two extra based on my not-so-scientific just using it day-to-day experience. I am very happy about this. In fact, it makes me wonder if the previous one had some kind of issue since I always thought the battery was it's weakest point. Anyway, I am a happy 2016 rMB camper.

Reactions: boltjames

LouisLoh

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
The battery life is amazing, indeed. I can get through a full day of lectures from 9-5 and come home with >50% left.

xDKP

macrumors 68020
Feb 27, 2011
Denmark
Just a quick note to say that after a few days with this new m7/256 my favorite thing about it--at least when compared to my previous 2015 1.2/512--is the battery life. The reviews and specs claim about an extra hour of time, but I'm getting at least two extra based on my not-so-scientific just using it day-to-day experience. I am very happy about this. In fact, it makes me wonder if the previous one had some kind of issue since I always thought the battery was it's weakest point. Anyway, I am a happy 2016 rMB camper.

That's one of my favourite things as well. Even my 2015 model lasts me all day - I had a long day at the office yesterday with no meetings and left around 5.30 pm (a bit late here in Denmark on a Friday) and didn't bring my charger to the office at all. Great stuff!

Just saw this (yes another kickstarter USB-C) and it looks pretty slick http://www.marbledcs.com/?gclid=CM2MsfX5tcwCFaTFcgoddwwOCg

Reactions: Gpulvi and MRxROBOT
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.