Are you sick of it?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by dim, Jan 30, 2002.

1. dim macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    Hello to you all.

Don't get me wrong, ...

I love Apple, ... but these days I'm more crazy about the OS then I'm crazy about the hardware.

Actually, ... I'm sick of it!
    ... But I really don't like Windows! ... not a bit!

What is Apple doiing? A fake GeForce 4 MX in there top range models? "MX" cards are the lower-end cards of NVidia! ... and the GeForce 4 isn't even out yet. ... is this a joke?

PC/133 ram?? ... is this a joke?

ATA/66?? ... is this a joke?

33Mhz PCI slots?? ... is this a joke?

... and maybe there are other features missing to. ...

Do not say that I'll have to buy a PC instead! ... do not!
    I don't like the OS!!

... but on the other side, ... Apple is joking around with there hardware!
    And I'm not talking about the more then great new iMac! It rocks!
    ... I'm talking about the top-range of there computers.

Do you guys feel the same way??
    Am I asking to much??

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

Dec 3, 2001
    I agree (sort of)

The very high end towers do look a little bit of a rip off when you look at what you're getting for £1150 at the low end. This is the first time apple have put a powerful DUAL HEAD graphics card a usable amount of RAM and a 7200rpm drive on the low end G4. It's a fantastic computer and i'm going to start saving for it right now!!

As for the iMac, it's great, a little too great when you compare the extra to a tower. For me, The entry level G4 tower has everything I had to pay through the for nose to get for my beige G3 a few years ago built in. This means for me that if I get an entry level G4 all I've got to do is slot my Digidesign card in the back and I'm done. The iMac on the other hand has no PCI slots and a slow 5400rpm drive. Infact when I work it out on pure cost for what I've paid for a beige G3 with 192Mb an 8x8x24 CD writer and an external modem I can get a G4 that has all the extras I've bought built in and a 15" LCD!!!

I'd say the high end machines look like a wasted expense for the extra speed gains over the entry level, well for me they are, someone doing high end video or graphics work will NEED all that power regardless of cost but the fact Apple have removed the build to order options so you can't strip down a mid range or Dual G4 to save on cost is a bit annoying.

ok, I'll stop ranting now, but I do see both a good and bad side to the new line up, all the bad side is based on cost, something which is less of an issue if you're in a situation where new hardware can pay for itself, for personal use I think the entry level G4 tower is an excellent mac and will sell by the bucket load!!!
  3. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    Everything is fine except the high-end... $4000 bucks?? Come on... thats way too expensive, especially when theres not that much of a difference between all of the Powermacs.

Apple... if you want to get rid of the G4s to make space for the G5... you got to make em cheaper so that more people would BUY THEM!!!

BTW, I'm getting the new iMac.

4. OSeXy! macrumors regular

Jan 17, 2002
    London (or virtually here)
    speculation time

The new G4 processing power seems a little out of whack with the rest of the machine's architecture... This leads me to wild speculations about soon-to-be pro models.

If (as most of us believe) the Quicksilver enclosure is on its last legs, it could be that Apple's attention has been on a completely revamped motherboard architecture -- which fits a different enclosure. So these new Apollos are the right chips in the wrong box (I don't even think the 800MHz actually is an Apollo).

So. MWTokyo or MWNY will show us a new line of (all Apollo) PMacs, all with faster bus, hard drives, RAM, etc. in the new box:

The low-end will be 933MHz
    The mid will be 1.2GHz
    The high-end will be dual 1GHz

If this happens, then the whole thing makes sense to me.
  5. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Ya Dont like windows but you dont like mac hardware? Get a PC and run Unix or Linux or whatever... Apple's making a lot of good moves... Dont like the card? BTO it with a the other graphix card... I dont think its worth changing over to DDR RAM yet, although it'd be nice.. It'll probably be G5 technology, which many many people want... So why spend all of the time reworking the G4's when G5's are comming?
  6. dim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    unix or linux

... sorry.
    But I don't think you can compare Unix or Linux to MacOs X.
    Yeah, I know ... in a sort of way Os X is Unix but ... it's NOT.

... just update the Mac hardware. Update it hard and fast!
    ... that's it!

btw: ... in the thread ... it's doing instead of doiing

... i knew that one. ... sorry. :)
  7. Brent Turbo macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Re: Are you sick of it?

This is one thing I'd like to understand better. I don't know of a single ATA drive that transfers at 66MB/s, nor is it really possible for one to so so (without RAID and all of that).

Why be upset about a hard drive controller that's nearly twice as fast as the fastest ATA drive in existence?
  8. ebow macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2001
    Trapped in a world before later on
    Re: Re: Are you sick of it?

Because they're not the latest flashy numbers that the Wintel world is throwing around. And you have to agree Apple has a lot of nerve making us buy these second-rate supercomputers. Plus, it's a lot of fun to complain. :rolleyes:
  9. Xapplimatic macrumors 6502

Oct 23, 2001
    Gee Five baby!

Clearly the Quicksilver tower is going by Macworld New York. It coincides with Motorola's roadmap for G5 release to happen around that month. Apple has already been testing G5s since last year. They are ready to do this. I suspect right not it's simply a matter of finishing touches and developer tests for Apple. They can't get G5s yet in quantity for production purposes, but I'm sure they have had more than enough samples since November to have done significant work on prototyping for the new motherboards that both the G4 and FireWire2 technologies will require. This means faster system bus architecture and improved memory. G5s will see DDR for sure. I view Apollo G4s as merely an inbetween measure for Motorola to showcase their new SOI technology before they wham the world with the G5 which is also based on SOI tech.
  10. dim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Are you sick of it?

yep. ... :)

Maybe "the latest flashy numbers factor" is important ... ... for some people.
    ... but ... imaging putting three HD's on that ATA/66 controller. ... fun!? ... ATA/133 is faster, better ... period.
    The technology is available, ... USE IT Apple!

Again, ...
    Is all this ...
    - ATA/100 or 133, DDRAM, REAL GeForce 3 or 4 -
    to much to ask?? ... for $ 2,999.00????

I don't think so.

ps: don't get me wrong. I want to buy an Apple!
    ... but it has to be worth the money. ... no more no less
  11. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002
    That's why it was a quiet release

Part of the issues mentioned above is probably at the heart of why this release was a "quiet" update.

No Show with a major announcement for these probably because there is something great/better around the corner.

I can't believe that they are going to leave us hanging like this for too long (i.e. 6 months).

I can easily see:
    faster drives (rpm, ATA/133, raid),
    DDR Ram (it only requires an updated chipset, not necessarily CPU change),
    high-end GeForce 3 or a low-end true GeForce 4,
    USB 2 (backwards compatible and the newer digital cameras will use it),
    enhance PCI slots,
    new DP mother board with the option of adding a second CPU yourself

None of this would require too much on their part to implement.

G5 - next year.

Oh yeah, "dim", OS X IS built on top of UNIX, not " a sort of way..."! You obviously don't use UNIX or just don't understand the flavors of UNIX. But it definitely is UNIX.

12. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
  13. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    to germanknee

sweeping generalizations are boring, conribute nothing and take up valuable bandwidth

misspellings in this context (infrerior s/b inferior) betray your ignance (misspelling deliberate)
  14. Six macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2002
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    ::agrees:: whiney arent we? Apple's doing their best, and these computers are a great great start... inferior? ha! nevah!

If you have so many problems with the current hardware, wait for G5
  15. germanknee macrumors member

Jan 24, 2002
    I apologize for my typographical error and apparent ignorance, but not for the comment. What is the title of the thread? That’s right, it’s "Are you sick of it?"

1 ghz processors
    PC133 SDRAM
    133 mhz bus speed
    33 mhz PCI
    133 mhz AGP

The hardware is inferior to the peecee.
    Mac OS and software is the best, though. That’s why I love Macs. I can’t complain there.

Oh, and wouldn't the mispelling of "inferior" be considered a sign of my ignorance, not betrayel of my ignorance? hmmm....

And also, I will hold out for the G5 and tentatively await the new technologies that might be implemented with it.
  16. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    Oh, so you mean - The current mac hw is which pc?
    All ? Some? Dell? gateway? PII, PII, P4?
    All Apple hardware is in ferior?

Please be more precise if you are going to waste our time.

and, Websters Desk Dictionary of the English language:
    2. to reveal or disclose
  17. dim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    :: quark

Yeah, ... I knew that one already!
    ... from the day OS X came out of the corner.

What I meant was, ... OS X is "more" then UNIX.
    And by that I mean ... better hardware support, more commercial software available (almost everything from OS 9.x), more user friendly, ... etc. ...

It IS UNIX ... but then again it's NOT.

btw: ... I DO use UNIX! ... not so much, ... but I do use it. :)
  18. dim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    :: error's

... why do you guys even care if someone spells some word wrong??
    Can you guys spell everything correct?? ... and other language's??

I don't think so. ...

to germanknee ... I think you're right.

Okay, ... Dell, Compac, PB, ... etc. ... sorry, ... but they SUCK big time.
    But that's not the point.
    I you want you can go out there and build a peecee yourself. ... and THEN you can get the good (hardware) stuff. ... and cheap also.
    Forget about Dell, Compaq, etc.
    I'm not talking about these guys. ... I'm talking about the (good build) clone's. ...

One more thing tho ...

I still think that the G4 is far more superior then P4's and others. ... I'm not complaining about that!!
    It's the other stuff (RAM, fake GeForce, ATA, ...) ... that bugs me. ... it bugs me hard!
    And I don't want to buy a PeeCee, and I don't want to use Linux, ... I want to use OS X on a better motherboard.

19. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    "... why do you guys even care if someone spells some word wrong?? "

"The medium is the message"
    M. McLuhan
  20. dim thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2002
    :: maclamb

... can you spell some dutch words? ... correctly? nope?

Ik kan dat wel. ... leuk hé.

... as long as people understand what other people write, ... spelling is not so important. ... not here. not in a thread.

21. Quark macrumors regular

Jan 9, 2002

thanks for the clarification...

Didn't mean to pounce on ya!:p

I totally agree with you on the spelling thing. Too many people get caught up in that and lose sight of the message/view/opinion of someone on the rumor board.

Take Care!
  22. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Current G4s

Yes they are out of whack, and quicksilver needs a re-design. This is a sign of things to come, this is a big pointer towards a cool new Pro model with G5, and a "True" G force 4. Lets hope:)

Not all who wander are lost.
  23. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Sep 18, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Mac OS X as UNIX

Basically it took Apple to finally make a UNIX-based OS that normal humans could actually use, a UNIX with a GUI that doesn't suck ass.

Now I'm not a normal human by any stretch of the imagination. I probably work at a shell prompt more often than I work in a GUI app, but it's nice that when I just have to get something mundane done (browsing Macrumors, for instance) I can take off my hacker hat and work in a modern, stable UI.
  24. maclamb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2002
    Northern California
    too be precise it took NeXT to make a Unix w/ a real usable GUI.

The FInder (horizontal view) and developer studio is all NeXT stuff

BTW - most developers at NeXT never even used the GUI - they wopuld just have tons of Terminal windows open....
  25. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2001
    From Apples site:
    Four open full-length 64-bit, 133MHz PCI slots

You are spot on about the other things, though.
    One good thing about the new PMs. DDR L3 cache (on DP, one L3 cache for each prosessor), twice as fast as old models. Speeds up things a bit!