Are you SMP ready?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by Macaholic G5, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Macaholic G5 macrumors newbie

Macaholic G5

Are you ready to rumble with an SMP client? ARE YOU?! Well, let us see what the high performance FAQ has to say;

Interesting! Very interesting! Hope to see you there! :)

2. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Interesting, very interesting! Let's hope they also will bring out a version for the G5's. Also the folding on GPU's is coming quite well. Let's hope our electric bills don't go up when you have a dual/quad folding and two X1900 in SLI mode! :D

BTW Macaholic, how did you get sooooo much folding power?!? And are you folding for Team MR?!?

3. Macaholic G5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Macaholic G5

Bought it or built it myself. A man has to have a hobby. ;) I fold with Team MacOS X. Calling all Mac folders. Please spread the SMP client news far and wide. Oh, did I mention it is SPEEDY and worth your time?! Can you say NATIVE?! I thought so. Now GO! :D

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

So is anyone else using the beta besides me? It seems to run ok. Still needs work, for example it does not use all more cores to %100. It also uses ALOT of ram. Around 50 mb per core times 4. and thats real ram not including virtual. That alot of ram when you only have a GB. :(

Would you be interested in switching? You user points stay with your.....besides macrumors is such a better team, we may not have as much output but we have GREAT forums that can't be beat.:D

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

So, where did you get the Beta from? I looked at the download/beta section of Stanford, but didn't see it.

6. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Its intel only. However, to get it you have to request to join the beta team in the forums.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

8. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

well at least we know have a client to fold with.....Before we had to fold in rosetta.

9. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

O by the way Dreadnought. I plan on passing you! I have had one work unit turned in on my mac pro now it was worth 700 points and it took 22 hours. I have also lost a work unit which gaves errors(this was before the SMP client when public beta) However I have one sitting on my computer at home finished, I just found out how to upload it. I had a configuration thing set wrong. And I will have another one done by the end of today. :) I will catch up pretty fast with your current output. ;)

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

So when are you planning on doing this? Don't see anywhere in the top 100 :p
    and my G5 gets a bit of a rest instead of folding 24/7. It uses a lot of power and am trying to cut down my electric bill.

11. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

If i told you then it would not be a secret. I lost another work unit to the beta client.....however i still am getting decent daily output. I will tell you when i am in the top 100......o and by the way i am not folding under trainguy77.....You may already know what i am folding under but if you don't.....I will tell you when i am about to overtake you. :D

EDIT: by the way I may be a couple thousands points behind you so it will just be a long steady haul.

12. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just a quick question... I downloaded the SMP Intel version for my MacBook Pro, but I can't figure out how to pause it! Last night I did a ctrl-c (quit) and it closed out... but this morning it started all over! What on earth is the "pause" command?

(yes I know I don't need to stop it for most things, but I like to at night and while I study because of the extra noise it creates.)

13. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Well since its beta there is bound to be problems. For example in the last version (non-public beta) there was problems with check points BIG problems so the current version does not have them, so i you stop it, it will start over. Of coarse this will be fixed in time. Also another bug if you disable airport folding stops......

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Dreadnought even though i have lost a couple WU so far with the beta I am still completing some work units that are worth as much as 1700 points each. :eek: And it takes less then 24 hours to do one of those suckers. Less then 100 days to get into the top 100......I am coming.....

15. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Care to elaborate? Since I updated to 1.72 I haven't had any problems with it... I just completed my first WU for Team MacRumors!

17. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Our friend there is on PowerPC. His production is.......lacking.:D You have time for now......but not for long!!!! I am putting out over 1000 points a day I will catch you!

18. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Ahhh.. the sound of jealously... :D

19. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

ppc, intel, xscale, vax, big endian.... hell, i don't care! load it on anything that will still turn on! we are getting killed, and seeing the daily output line FINALLY start to trend up is a wonderful thing!!!

congrats on the amazing output '64 ;)

welcome back to all the 'took the summer off' people...

welcome!

20. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Speaking of which i installed it on 5 windows machines at the begging of september and i checked them yesterday they are still doing the first WU they are at 0% yet they are working at %100 CPU. Any ideas? its like that on all of them.

21. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Vlade

After getting the beta to work after several attempts, I'm getting around 650 PPD on my first unit on a 2.0GHZ MBP Core Duo. I would love to install this on my friends Mac Pro!

Is there a way to limit the CPU usage with the SMP beta, I want to find some balance of CPU usage that allows me to run the fans at around 2500-3000 RPM, they are at 4000 now at full capacity, but I don't want my fans to break AGAIN (I'm 1 for 3 on apple laptops that have fans work for more than a year without making noises that sound like they came from hell)

22. Transeau macrumors 6502a

Transeau

23. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

This is all interesting news.

I may have to try folding on my Macbook C2D! I am not a big production output guy, and my G5 has been down and out of folding to save on power, and wear ;) .

24. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I thought it was 64-bit? After all there is no 32 bit linux version yet so I would think the OS X version is 64 bit.