Are you sure you want to use Windows?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Nermal, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I had the "pleasure" of using Windows today, to convert an Excel spreadsheet into an Access database.

- Create new table.
    - Are you sure you want to do this without setting up a primary key?
    - Copy data from Excel
    - Paste into Access
    - Are you sure you want to paste?
    - Copy more data
    - Paste
    - Are you sure?
    - Delete unnecessary data
    - Are you sure?
    - Repeat for next spreadsheet
    - Are you sure?
    - Are you sure?
    - Are you sure?
    - Are you sure?
    - Are you sure?
    - Are you sure?

If I see one more "are you sure" message, my head's going to explode!

2. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

HEH. Try deleting or moving read only or program files. Its always "This is a program file are you sure you want to delete it?" or "This is a read only file are you sure you want to delete it?" Even if you click YES TO ALL it always prompts. Apparently Windows has Attention Deficient Disorder or something.

4. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Are you sure?

;)

5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

I so set myself up for that one!! :p

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Reminds me of the Chinese drive-thru scene from "Dude, Where's My Car?"

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Yeah, I love how the Windows default is to keep Program Files hidden...It says something to the effect of, "Tampering with these files could cause some of your software to malfunction." Therefore, it hides it from you unless you ask otherwise. How insulting is THAT?

...And yet all the Windows users say that people use Macs because they don't know how to use computers. At least my Mac trusts me enough to look at my own applications.

Yeah, I think that's what I don't like about Windows folders, too. None of them is just a plain, old, generic folder. Each has some specific, critical purpose which, if altered, would tear at the gentle balance of the universe, causing all of creation to implode on itself instantaneously into one gigantic Blue Screen of Death. On a Mac, my folder is just a folder. It isn't this super-specialized "Program Files" folder with all sorts of unnecessary attributes like trying to hide my own damn files from me. I just stick things in them and they work. Sure, some of the folders, like Preferences, tend to have important files that should stay put. But they still don't have any extraordinary attributes as FOLDERS themselves; rather, it's the files in the folders that have a great deal of significance. The worst a Prefs folder would ever do is maybe recreate itself (although I've never deleted it to check).

So be gone with your oh-so-scary-stupid-computer-users-please-don't-touch-me folders. I'll touch you, Windows, whenever and wherever I want...Eh, you know what I mean...;) :D ;) :D

8. legion macrumors 6502a

Re: Are you sure you want to use Windows?

If you want a constructive answer, just go into Excel's preferences and turn off "confirm on action" settings. It's really quite simple (or I'm a genius :D )

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mac OS X hides a great deal of files from users as well. Just browse through some of your directories in Terminal and see how many ".xyz" files you have that don't show up in Finder.

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

And then? :)

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Re: Re: Are you sure you want to use Windows?

Are you sure?

I swear I'm constantly getting rid of Clippy at work, but he just keeps coming back! Then, for some reason, Word spell checks everything in French?!? :confused:

But yes, disabling confirmation helps lessen the suckiness of Windows.

A little. Not much. I hate Windows.

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Mac OS does similar things, though, too. Whenever you go to turn off/restart it asks if you are sure you want to turn off your computer and by default it asks if you are sure if you want to delete trash, as well.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

[rant]How you can turn your "problem" with Excel, in to a Windows bitching session is beyond me. Mindless bashing on either side of the PC/Mac "war" drives me nutz.[/rant]

14. Versello macrumors regular

/me nods

15. KentuckyApple macrumors regular

KentuckyApple

re:

I took a class in college for Access and Excel. I must say that when used properly, both programs are actually very very nice. I have been a faithful Mac user for 12 years. There are some things that Access does wonderfully and one of them is integrating with Excel. You are lucky it does that.

P.S. Microsoft still $ucks!

16. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Just having a bit of fun, seeing what crazy replies people come up with :)

17. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Its easy enough to do because most people seem to not understand that there are multiple development teams that are in Microsoft, just as there are multiple dev teams at Apple, and as such quality software is going to very from team to team. All most people see is MICROSOFT. Nothing beyond that name. They equate Microsoft = crap software and while this sentiment isn't totally unwarranted due to the history of Microsoft's software its not really fair unless you are dealing with the latest MS product on its own instead of applying the stigma that since its Microsoft it has to suck right?
    To be fair, to a certain extent, most Microsoft products have their annoying features/bugs that can get on one's nerves. To date even with Office 2003 I'm still getting a corrupt normal.dot file from time to time that really does a good job of hosing Word. To date even with Windows 2K and XP I still get start menus that freeze on me while it's populating the program list. (It eventually comes back after a good 10-30 second wait. In the mean time I get to twiddle my thumbs.) To date I occasionally get the CD-ROM drive to spin up when I access a web page with IE. Little stuff, and some big stuff, that has been in Windows/Office since day one is what I personally find distasteful about Microsoft. You'd think after 4+ version of Office and 3+ versions of NT Microsoft could fix some of the little nagging stuff. But no. They focus on stuffing feature upon feature into their products.
    Also you have to keep in mind that the design philosophy of Microsoft's products is going to be somewhat to VERY different from Apple design philosophies thus when you come to a Mac board you are going to hear, from those users who are forced to use Windows at work or at school, etc why the heck does Windows work this way?!?! It’s a different design mentality and as such can get on the nerves of people who aren't use to it or like it. I'm not going to start getting into which is right and which is wrong. But I will say that Microsoft's way of doing things seems to keep changing from version of software to version of software. They keep trying to find the right formula every time and never really hit the mark or market even. (There has been no overwhelming celebrated version of Windows or Office in about 10 years with the possible exception of Windows 2000.) They are still in the add features game and only now are starting to realize there is a world past feature set. Ease of use wise they use wizards which I personally think is a massive copout on ease of use. All of Microsoft's applications are heavily wizard laddered with IMHO speaks of a poor design. *shrugs* but that's just me.

Honestly, threads like this don't bug me as much as uninformed threads bashing Microsoft on the basis of basis of.....er.....umm....basis. I get back to you on that one when I find a basis. Those threads or posts drive me insane. They are typically posted by the Mac zelots based on nothing other then perpetuating rumor and the fact that its trendy on the Mac side of things to trash Microsoft.
    LOL what am I saying. Its trendy everywhere to trash Microsoft. Its easy enough to hack on an OS or company when you haven't ever use their software or at the very least haven't used it in years. THIS is my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Mac users. And don't think I don't get IMed for it. But what people don't get is that I call windows users on the carpet for the same behavior. This IMHO is immature and is the hallmark of the Mac vs. PC battle. Lack of a truly informed individual.

Unfortunately I have a tendency to flip my lid when I see posts like those. :\
    I guess I need to get use to them but it still irks me since I'm relatively new to the world of the Mac. My last mac was a ][e. Only in the last 6 months have I even considered getting another Mac. (Come on PowerBook G5!!!)
    *shakes head*
    I'm not even sure that made any sense since I've been sitting at this desktop for 12+ hours doing my A+ cert training. I think I'm going blind from this monitor. Later.

18. legion macrumors 6502a

You officialy amuse me now!:D

It's like throwing a chicken into a lion's cage and then seeing what happens...

19. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, it's good to watch some of the "interesting" discussions around here :)

I could put this in my sig:
    "Legion's Official Amuser"
    :p

Don't worry, I won't

20. coopdog macrumors 6502a

I see what drives people to set themselves on fire.