Are you using a Remote Desktop app on your iPad? Which one?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by danpass, Apr 19, 2010.

?

Which remote desktop app? and Why. (in alpha order)

1. Connect to PC

6 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. Desktop Connect

33 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. iTap RDP Client

23 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. LogMeIn Ignition

162 vote(s)
    43.2%
  5. RDM+

5 vote(s)
    1.3%
  6. WinAdmin iPad edition

11 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Wormhole Remote

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  8. Wyse Pocketcloud

24 vote(s)
    6.4%
  9. I switched from _____ to ______

2 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Other (see my post)

108 vote(s)
    28.8%
  1. macrumors 68020

danpass

I went with Wyse pocketcloud. The mouse pointer function was just too cool. You can drog and drop, highlight, right-click, etc :D. Tap and hold then drag the pointer. It can also be done the same way with your finger.

[​IMG]

Here is a post from Page 9:

Original post:

There are 6-8 direct remote desktop apps (eliminating VNC type apps for now) in the iPad section of the App store and overall they are similar in price and rating.

My favorite so far is Mocha's RDP app on the iphone but I don't see it (yet, I suppose) in the App store for iPad.

My personal experience prefers the 'direct' connection to the OS rather than having a server running (aka VNC) as the 'direct' connection has turned out to be more stable and have better resolution.

So which one do you have and what features stand out? Why did you pick that one?

Thanks.

edit:

Based on an iTunes search of 'remote desktop' I added a poll of the programs that I believe do not use a 3rd party client (like VNC) with the exception of LogMeIn considering its been mentioned a number of times already.

edit2:

well Mocha's RDP is up, effective Apr 20 :D

2. macrumors 68000

I use LogmeIn Ignition.

I had it for the iPhone and then got the update for the iPad. It works great and I can't really see what another application would do better. I love the interface...you can either move the mouse pointer (to follow your finger) or move the desktop screen and the mouse pointer stays in the middle. I find the latter easier as with the other method, you sometimes can't see the mouse pointer behind your own finger.

Its quick...great quality...and it allows me to access EVERYTHING on my computer, it's awesome going into to Quickbooks while on the road and checking an invoice or even emailing it from Mail.

3. macrumors 68000

I have desktop connect, it's pretty nice and it's cheaper than most of the other crowd favorites. It also supports both VNC and RDP so it works straight with the OS instead of needing to install a program. I've been very happy with it so far, the most complicated thing was setting up DDNS so my iPad could always find the right IP address.

4. macrumors 65816

master-ceo

5. macrumors 6502a

I have to give props to Jump Desktop. After doing the same research as you, I arrived at Jump Desktop based on reviews and the stated features. It's very good and very similar to Logmein, but a third of the price.

Pro's for Jump Desktop:
    * Good performance
    * Automatically fits the computer desktop onto the iPad display
    * One-touch access to your computers (passwords can be cached)
    * Can be easily connected through firewalls with use of their agent application
    * Audio support

Cons:
    * Jump's menu bar spans the whole width of the display and is always "on", which means they force you to move the desktop up and down to click things that are behind the menu. I'm told by them that an update this week will correct this.
    * It only supports Windows computers that have Remote Desktop support.

I believe Logmein offers all of this, except it requires one or two more steps to connect (at least that's the case if you're using a Logmein free account). However, it also supports all Windows and Mac computers.

Also, Jump is $10, whereas Logmein is a whopping $30.

Hope this helps,
    Aaron

6. macrumors regular

another vote for LogMeIn. I use the free version of LogMeIn which allows me to set up all of my systems and my family's systems so I can login and fix their issues. Works on Mac and PC. Love it and the iPad App works great.

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors 6502a

I'm now using WinAdmin when connecting to my work computer, and LogMeIn ignition when connecting to my home computer.

9. macrumors 6502a

If you're only connecting to Windows computers then Logmein really isn't worth the premium price ($30).

If you're connecting to both Mac and Windows computers then I think Logmein is the best way to go. It's superior to the standard VNC apps.

10. macrumors regular

i use logmein to connect to both my macbook pro and my multiple windows 7 boxes, works really well

11. macrumors 6502

12. macrumors 6502

Why 2 different programs?

13. macrumors 603

netdog

What about if you are only logging in to Macs? Still LogMeIn?

Can I also log into a VMWare Fusion XP virtual machine running on my Mac using LogMeIn?

14. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

15. macrumors 6502a

For my work computer I don't want to install additional software (like logmein requires) so I'd rather just use normal remote desktop.

For my home computer logmein is nicer because it works through routers without requiring any additional configuration, and has better usability and functionality than winadmin.

16. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

So logmein requires a desktop 'server'?

not sure I want that. that's what VNC needs.

17. macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

I use logmein at work to fix & do maintenance on offsite machines, and I use it at home as well, both on PC's and Macs. It's easy to use and setup. Very little configuration needed.

18. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

each one has logmein software installed?

19. macrumors 65816

Huh? What are you referring to?

ALL remote desktop solutions require some sort of server running on the desktop machine.

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Technically true but there is a distinction.

In case you're not aware:

Windows non-Home versions (like Pro and Ultimate) have an internal function (simply called Remote Desktop) allowing for remote control of the computer (I believe OSX has it as well but not sure).

Other versions of Windows (like Home Premium) would require additional software (like a VNC Server) to be installed so that a program 'dialing' in can utilize it for controlling the computer.

If the VNC Server crashes and/or locks up (which has happened to me on Friday night when I'm already home from the office lol) you're done until Monday (who wants to go in on a Saturday for that?).

It's much less likely for the OS to crash.

21. macrumors 6502a

He's probably referring to the difference between RDP and VNC. Although RDP is technically a server, it's also an OS component with no installation required and it has an easy-to-use Windows interface and it represents very low risk to the stability or security of the computer.

I'm not arguing that VNC is high risk (heck, I use it sometimes), but it still is a software application made by another vendor which needs to be installed and configured.

22. macrumors 6502

Jmacman78

Yes, each machine has the logmein software installed.

23. bzz
    macrumors member

+ 1

24. macrumors member

Jump desktop, works well. My only gripe is that it does not have an option to make keyboard translucent so I could see what I am typing if window is behind the keyboard. I do not know if other apps allow this.

25. macrumors member

I use Parallels and can fully access everything in the VM through LogMeIn. I also setup LogMeIn on the Parallels VM and that does work. But you can only see the VM so I don't really use that at all.