Ares goes to mac!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yorh, May 19, 2006.

1. yorh macrumors newbie

Hi to all,

I'm yorh a mac dev.
    I'm porting the Ares p2p chat on the mac osx 10.4 .
    I'm close to finish the 0.5 version with direct chat, pm chat and colors system.

If you are interested to see some screenshoots you can click on this link:

http://www.p2pforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=25357

this is the first time for Apple macintosh computer in Ares so.... let me know what do you think about it!

think different!
    Yorh

2. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

3. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

I am almost 100% sure it is like Limewire, if you even know what Limewire is. It is a P2P sharing network where files can be shared from one person to another through the internet.

4. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

I know what Limewire is! I'm not that dumb :rolleyes: Lol. I don't actually use Limewire though.
    I never really saw the benefit of P2P though. I know it doesn't need a central server or anything, but why is it so popular?

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Because people don't like to pay for things that they can steal instead.

(Before I get flamed with people saying there are legitimate uses for P2P, I realize that, that's just not what the VAST majority of people use it for.)

6. G99 macrumors 6502

G99

That is a reason why I use it occasionally. I don't P2P very often, but when I do, its usually for TV that I miss, or is in another country. Would you say that's legitimate? ;)

7. MacBookDJ macrumors newbie

No. That's what we have Tivo and satellite dishes for. :p

8. yorh thread starter macrumors newbie

hi & thks for answeres!

yes... Ares is a big p2p network but as I said before I'm porting only the chat system at the moment.
    Ares chat is amazing and you will be able to find over than 2000 different rooms with milion people connected... with a mac style.
    I know the common client server way... but I discovered p2p network and I'm very proud about my work on it.
    Limewire is only a client because is based on gnutella network. Gotcha! will be the first chat p2p based system for our beloved macs!

If you want to know better about Ares pls visit the ares page at http://aresgalaxy.sourceforge.net

thks
    think diffent!
    Yorh

9. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't get very good reception at home, so even if I had a TiVO, it wouldn't make it so I could very well record shows for later viewing. Still, it is technically illegal (in the US anyway) to download TV shows without permission. I don't get ABC well enough to watch it off the air, but I love Lost, so I buy it on iTunes every week and watch it that way. Still, for shows that aren't on iTunes, I can certainly see where downloading a show is appealing, and since you don't pay for TV normally anyway, it doesn't really feel like stealing.

For some reason, the NBC station here has stopped showing SNL, so if I want to watch it, pretty much my only option is to download it.