ARG! new twenty

Discussion in 'Community' started by csubear, Oct 10, 2003.

1. csubear macrumors 6502a

csubear

Two hours ago i got a new twenty (US) from an ATM, and i have had several merchants decline to take it. Have any of you guys seen the new twenty? That would be the stupidest fake in the world. But anyways anyone else have a problem with it?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Should speak to the managers, they should have talked to their employees about the new bills already.

But training the ignorant and uniformed for free isn't too fun. That's probably why the were promoted to retail management anyways, untrainable. ;)

But the changing the bills every 6-7 years, as they head to the bills they ultimately want, is a big PIA for us.

Great for collectors though.

3. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Yes, the new $20 bills are out. Banks will now issue them and merchants will soon learn to recognize them and their new colors. More of a worry is whether change machines and other vending machines will recognize them. What if the snack machine won't give me my Snickers bar!?!?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i love the new 20's, how stupid that retailers don't know about it yet... i want to get my hands on one but they say most ATMs won't carry them, as older bills run through the machines better.

too bad there's no law saying retailers have to accept cash. it'd be fun to go after someone for it. unfortunately, according to the coinage act of 1965 (i think), retailers don't have to accept money period, they could barter chickens if they wanted.

pnw

5. KCK macrumors regular

I know in the SF Bay Area the BART ticket machines will not take the new $20 bills. It will take a while before the ticket machines can be updated.

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Was this just a coincidence? Or were your posts actually a Halloween prank by BART Simpson?

7. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Actually I have not come across many vending machines that accept 20 dollar bills at all, and if they did I really wouldn't want $19 in change back.
    As far as merchants go, refusal of legal tender new or not is unacceptable csubear, you really should have pointed out their ignorance.

8. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

The post office has vending machines that accept $20 bills to buy stamps instead of standing in line. I don't know if the new $20 will accept it or not. I took $20 out of the ATM this morning, but only got the old bill.

9. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

"This note is legal tender for all debts, public and private."

So reads every paper currency printed by the United States Mint. It is on the upper left corner of the front, under the words "The United". Unless I am sorely mistaken, that means that they CANNOT legally be refused by anybody for any debt.

10. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

ah, i see, you didn't read my post. according to the law we should have no expectation that currency will be accepted. if you look at money, it says something like "this note is legal tender for all debts, public and private". debts, not purchases.

you can't force someone to sell you something. that is illegal.

pnw

edit: you beat me to it. yes, i assure you, i am quite correct.

http://www.moneyfactory.com/document.cfm/18/110

pnw

11. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

not a problem for us in canada, as it would come out as 9 "twonies" our coins go up to two whole dollars, which is rather practical, and on a side note, our papar money (or notes) are much nicer then their american counterparts, ours have color, and snazzy shinny stuff, and on our new (not so new any more, about 2 years old, 5, and 10, we have poems writen on them) flander's field on the five, and some crappy poem on the ten (wait i think i am mixed up it may be flanders field on the ten, not the five) but anyways...

aethier

12. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Actually, that's not true. If I take a package of Jolly Ranches that costs $0.99 from the candy shop, I am indebted to said candy shop in an amount equal to $0.99. When I hand the cashier a one dollar bill, the store is indebted to me $0.01. When the cashier hands me a penny change (at which point I usually put it in the leave-a-penny take-a-penny), all debts are paid in full.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

*sigh* no, when you pick up the jolly ranchers, you are holding the property of the business in question, until you purchase it from them by exchanging it for cash. just because you take it off the shelf doesn't mean it's yours along with a debt to the store. What the quote on money means is that if you are indebted to someone, they can't demand your wife, or your kidneys, they must accept cash if you offer it.

pnw

14. csubear thread starter macrumors 6502a

csubear

i did. I simply told them that this would be the suptidest fake in history. but they didn't listen... Its not that big of a deal, I went a few stores down they way and got what i wanted. Im mad because they look at me like a crimanla because they were ingorant.

15. medea macrumors 68030

medea

But actually I didn't mean unaccetable as in illegal, I meant unaccetable as in poor business practice such as hiring idiots to work for you will result in loss of business......

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

When the "new" 20's came out last time (the non colored ones), no one would accept them, either. You'd think they'd learn, not to mention they've been saying the new $20's with the color tinting will be out since before summer even began, so everyone had plenty of time to hear, see, read, or be trained on it. This is not an over the night kind of change, the government has said many times in the news that this was coming.

17. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ha, that's just stupid....and I was surprised at seeing a tv commercial from the Treasury Dept. showing them....

now I'm going to have to go out and get some and try it myself....

D

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm still having issues with machines taking new $5 bills, so I can only imagine how long it'll be before they are calibrated to accept the new $20 bills. :rolleyes:

There was a small story on the local news about the new $20 bills. The first transaction in the city of New Orleans was at the famous Cafe Du Monde in the French Quarter. :D

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

ah. well then i agree with you in entirety. for what i said above, about the laws, my first instinct would be to smack someone (perhaps repeatedly) that didn't know what the new 20 was, with all the hype... the last time they redesigned money i was working at a supermarket in highschool... we got tons of pamphlets and info before they came out, to prevent this from happening.

and if high schoolers can figure it out... sheesh...

pnw

20. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

whywould you want to put a 20 in a vending machoine? that must be one expensive snickers:eek:

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The best thing you could do is goto the bank and grab a couple of the pamphlets about the new $20. When someone refuses, hand them one. People should have heard of them by now, with the PSAs and the news coverage since June, nearly everyone should have heard.

TEG

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I have a home-made "money pad". You get some new-looking bills at the bank, cut tissue paper sheets into the size of bills, alternate the bills with the tissue paper, add cardboard at the front and back, and paint the side with the sticky stuff they make pads of paper out of. Mine even has a semi-official-looking cover that says "Genuine U.S. Money Pad".

Then, when you make a purchase at a store or restaurant, you pull out your money pad and peel off the bills you need, looking nonchalant about it. But you pay attention to the salesperson, who will have a puzzled look, not knowing whether to admire you or suspect you of something. And that's the purpose: to see what reactions you get. Home-made Candid Camera without the camera.

One salesperson said "Do you have any REAL money?". Another said "That's great? Where'd you get it?" to which I answered "I made it!". So far, nobody has refused my money-pad money, although they often hold the bills up to the light just in case.

Attached Files:

23. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

Good! That means that if we ever suffer a complete economic collapse, we can barter with cigarettes just like the East Germans did.

Sure they can. The law recognizes it as money, but a private citizen or business doesn't have to.

Unfortunately, that's illegal too.

24. Phil Of Mac macrumors 68020

Phil Of Mac

LOL. That reminds me of a great story that Woz told in an interview with MacAddict.

Apparently Woz was able to acquire actual uncut sheets of $2 bills. He got them perforated so whenever he had to pay for something, he would just take out the sheet, tear off some bills, and pay. Eventually, a Secret Service agent went to Woz's house to ask him some questions about the whole matter :)

25. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

that sounds like a funny story. how did he get them in the first place?