Argg, it was easier buying a car than a laptop

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by smurfsgonewild, Jul 14, 2004.

1. smurfsgonewild macrumors member

Man, I figured it wouldn't be that hard to choose a laptop but nope, I was wrong. At least you can go test drive what car you want. There needs to be more stores where you can actually play with the computers. Not like Best Buy and their crappy program you can't get out of. I'm very tempted to take the 4 hour drive to the closest Apple store. Right now, it's between the Compaqx1000 and the 15"Pbook. Both are great computers but my main deal is deciding i wanna switch over to Macs or not. So basically what I'm asking you guys to do for me is to act like you work for Apple and sell me over to Mac. I can order the laptop at any time and I'd like to get it done a.s.a.p. so if there's any problems I won't be without it when school starts. So guys, help a brother out a bit. Thanks in advance.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I have a 1.25 GHz 15 inch PowerBook, and I absolutely LOVE it. I cannot imaging a more stylish powerful laptop. Though I'm sure Apple can. :D The 12 inch is wicked awesome too, but I needed more screen real estate for doing design work on the go. If you aren't doing anything major on the road, you might want to consider a 12 inch with an external monitor to put on your desk in your room.

3. crookedcharlie macrumors member

My 12" Powerbook is not only the best computer I've ever owned, but one of the best PRODUCTS I've ever bought. I put it only behind the ipod right now. Unlike PC laptops, which basically shoe-horn a pc into a smaller case, thereby concentrating the frustration in a smaller area, Apple's design is near-perfect. The machine feels right open, feels right closed, feels right on the battery and plugged into the wall.

Their integration of Airport Extreme into the best OS in the history of the planet is seamless. I just walked in my office from my desk, where I'm hooked up to Ethernet, to an edit bay, which has a wireless router. I closed the cover, unpluged it, and went into the bay without a single issue or crash. It simply joined the network in there, and adium, which logged me off when I unplugged from the network, came right back on, right where it left off.

It's also just great to carry around with a legal pad. It isn't cumbersome at all. I know you're going with the 15", and I'm sure you'll find that it just feels convenient to carry around.

Make the switch. You will not be sorry. You may pay a higher price, but you truly get what you pay for when it comes to laptop computers. Why would your first consideration be price when you're buying a product you plan on using every day for the next 5 years? Go for quality.

4. CramSoup macrumors member

I went through the same thing. It took me about 4 weeks to decide. Finally I went with the 12PB and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I have heard way too many great things and I just hope I'm as happy as everyone else seems to be with apple. I'll see soon. Hopefully I'll be saying "why did i wat so long to switch" like i keep hearing from everyone else!!!!